There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFLN Playbook : 49ers @ Packers

Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
My analysis from another thread...

Why do the 49ers have a shot to win tomorrow?

• The Packers will be relying on the pass almost exclusively, and the 49ers can protect against the run without much extra effort, relying on the front seven without the pressure of having to stack the box with 8 or 9 guys.
• The injury to MLB Desmond Bishop will have less-experienced/less-skilled DJ Smith filling in. With AJ Hawk also not being great at all things in general, it will enable the 49ers to test the MLB's with passes to Vernon Davis & Delanie Walker up the middle.
• The injury to Bishop will also help the 49ers run the ball with greater ease... and the Packers were terrible against the run last year as well.
• The Packers secondary is kind of a mess. Safety Nick Collins had to temporarily-and-maybe-permanently retire this summer. As a result, Charles Woodson & Morgan Burnett are now the safeties. And while Tramon Williams is a pretty solid CB on one side, Jarret Bush & Sam Shields are the #2 #3, and they are average at best.

For the Packers to win, I'm lining up 3-4 wide early and often, and I'm picking on Tremaine Brock all day if he's in the game, trying to get Randall Cobb and him matched up one-on-one. I'd also test Tarrell Brown, who does not have good history against Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings.

If the Niners play press coverage well, and can put pressure on Rodgers as well, they win the game. That's basically what it comes down to tomorrow.

It's not going to be hard to pressure Rodgers, it's not like they have an all pro offensive line... they gave up 36 sacks last year.

That's why you play press coverage, so he can't dump it quickly.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Because Breeze made some perfect (and I mean perfect) throws. Rogers and Willis didn't get beat in coverage, Breese just made percision throws. Rodgers will have to have that kind of a game to beat us.

I also hate how they showed Benson running on the Bengles for a ten yard gain. The failed to realize that LB that missed that tackle is neither as good as Bowman or Willis. With that said, I'd imagine Willis will be on Finnley so Bowman will have to work hard on Benson.

Why? Bowman is just as good as P. Willy. Cedric Benson had what, three decent seasons with the bungles? His best season was 1200 yds three years ago. He's not an elite back, by any means. I wouldn't even put him in Top 15. Not to mention, he's 29 this year. This is another miss for GB with a running game.

The only issue I see with Bowman is that he can be a lazy tackler. He always gets there, but he doesn't always make the tackle, like Willis does.

Not sure if serious...
Because Breeze made some perfect (and I mean perfect) throws. Rogers and Willis didn't get beat in coverage, Breese just made percision throws. Rodgers will have to have that kind of a game to beat us.

I also hate how they showed Benson running on the Bengles for a ten yard gain. The failed to realize that LB that missed that tackle is neither as good as Bowman or Willis. With that said, I'd imagine Willis will be on Finnley so Bowman will have to work hard on Benson.

Why? Bowman is just as good as P. Willy. Cedric Benson had what, three decent seasons with the bungles? His best season was 1200 yds three years ago. He's not an elite back, by any means. I wouldn't even put him in Top 15. Not to mention, he's 29 this year. This is another miss for GB with a running game.

The only issue I see with Bowman is that he can be a lazy tackler. He always gets there, but he doesn't always make the tackle, like Willis does.

Not sure if serious...
Not a big deal and I'm not saying he is a very good player, but he does miss tackles, unlike Willis. Watch the Saints game and a few times in the preseason.
That's why you play press coverage, so he can't dump it quickly.

Got that right. A lot of the highlights I've seen for the Pack, and it's not many, but it seems like they make huge plays when the defense is in Zone coverage.
Matt Millen will always be a Niner. I love when he is announcing the game. The worst is Joe Buck- did anyone get a look at the ass hair he's trying to grow on his face. haha. The niners have the best D, best special teams-with ginn, and the best coaches, our offense will win or lose this one.
This is an interesting article from last December, when the Chiefs beat the Packers:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825448f7/article/chiefs-show-how-to-beat-packers-who-else-can-do-it

It details how the Chiefs slowed down the Packers offense, and also listed the 49ers as the team best equipped to follow the blueprint.
I think we will see a lot a lot of 3-2-6 this game. I really fill like we can stop their run with just 5 guys in the box. Rodgers in the slot is like a small LB IMO he is a very good tackler, along with Cully or Cox in the other slot, our run defense won't suffer. It will also be really good against the pass. IMO
We're winning by 40
Originally posted by ninertico:
So you don't think Cox in a 4-2-5 package can handle it. I actually think Fangio will go with his base D on 1st and 2nd to start to test the waters with Smith, Smith and Brooks as their primary pass rushers. If those three can disrupt the left side consistently, then Rodgers will have a long day. Those 1st and 2nd downs will be crucial. I'm pumped to see how Aldon rises to the occasion following his fellow Mizzu brother to Rodgers.

I just have a sneaky feeling that GB will be over confident and not as fit as us especially in the 4th. I also believe that Harbaugh, Roman and Cryst had a bet as to who could find the better weakness and the play to crush it. This is a "challenge" of epic proportions in the Coaches' eyes. Our run game will open up the pass and I feel as though our Jumbo package will dictate the game. Remember, they are a smaller D. I expect us to challenge the weak point of their game, the rookie on the edge and their replacement for Bishop.

If that is the case, I expect Moss to be the lone WR on those plays consistently. That way, we can play action to his side especially in the RZ. It's going to be fun to watch. It will be like watching Old School Smash Mouth Running Football. We match up very well against their passing offense, let alone their running one. Yet, they fail in comparison against our running game. Keep Rodgers on the sidelines, frustrated. Three points here, a TD here and then oh, oh, another TD to Moss.

Moss, to me, will be our most formidable weapon on offense because of what he can do psychologically to that D. He will allow others to be targets underneath him while priming the D for his next blow.

Harbaugh/Roman/Fangio have this down.

This is some good stuff Tico ..
Originally posted by verb1der:
That's all they can talk about is spreading out the D, and I get their point, but the Saints and Lions had some success with it and yet they still lost. Why? Because the 49ers win games on all 3 phases...its not just up to the defense.

Anyways...that Packers play action rollout play where Rodgers sets up a deep pass freaks me out. I'm pretty sure we'll see that play...

Yeah i feel you on that Play Action rollout, it reminds me of what DeSean Jackson did to the DB's last year when Vick would run a PA and and throw deep . I hope they are more prepaired for that PA because we all know they wont be running as much.
Normally a fan of the show but I thought their analysis of not just our game but all the games in general were pretty weak. I suppose I can give them a bit of a pass since they only have the preseason to pull from but overall I was expecting some deeper stuff here.

During the Russell Wilson lovefest about how he puts points on the board I just kept thinking to myself the guy hasn't started a single NFL regular season game yet so he hasn't put a single point on the board as far as I'm concerned.

My problem with their analysis of our game was:

1) Cedric Benson? You guys do remember our run defense was absolutely lights out right? I think we would be in heaven anytime the Packers hand the ball off. And nice usage of meaningless preseason footage against one team to prove your point.

2) I agree that spreading out our defense is the best way to attack it but did you really watch the Saints game? Aside from our brain dead 4th quarter moments we allowed 14 points in 3 quarters and were successful in making life miserable for Brees against a way better offensive line than what the Packers have.

Millen was the only one I thought had an insightful take on the game and I'm not saying that because it was a pro 9er take.
So these NFL Network rocket scientists appear to have found the magic formula to beating us...spread us out. Hmm, I'm sure no team thought of doing that last year.
[ Edited by kray28 on Sep 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM ]
i bet you all analysts will pick packers
Originally posted by TlSSER:
i bet you all analysts will pick packers

I hope they do, 49ers need to go in as underdogs.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Jan 6, 2013 at 2:28 AM ]
Dilfer and Deion are already all over the Packers' nuts.