There are 179 users in the forums

How will the 49ers attack the Packers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Establish the run... It's the best defense you can have against Rogers, just keep the ball out of his hands. Attack their LB's, they have injuries and rookies, exploit them while avoiding Clay.

We have the dynamic of a team that should beat them with ball control and tough defense, compared to making it a trackmeet, just gotta execute.

hopefully we can, i just hope roman doesn't over think it like in the NFCC game when he passed way too much in the 2nd half while the run game was working just fine.

Im excited for our backfield packages with Tuku, Miller, and then Gore, Jacobs or Hunter. Motion Miller out wide to force a LB to cover him, and one less in the box for us to run against.

We NEED to get to the second level with our runs... wearing down the MLB's and safeties coming up for support (Woodson) will help us at the end of the game if we have to open up the offense.
They have a new starting LT. I think exploiting this with the Smiths is going to be crucial to a victory. Gotta rattle Aaron's cage early and hopefully disrupt his timing with the catchers.

On offense, the OLB opposite of Matthews is a new guy too and should be a weak point for the running game to exploit. Getting Frank and Hunter outside could be very productive.
On offense: The Packers' run defense sucks, and they'll be crowding the LOS to try and compensate. They have weaknesses all over their defense. I trust that Harbaugh and Co have been scheming for this and will have a variety of unique plays drawn up to exploit GB's weaknesses on defense. Use these plays, and some deep throws to Moss, to keep them honest and then hit with the running game hard.

On defense: Nothing over the top, sell out to prevent deep pass plays and long gainers. Make the Packers drive down the field 5 yards at a time. Tug at the ball and hope to get some turnovers, hopefully get sufficient pressure with four men to make Rodgers feel uncomfortable. Step up in the red zone.
Originally posted by mkeniner:
On offense: The Packers' run defense sucks, and they'll be crowding the LOS to try and compensate. They have weaknesses all over their defense. I trust that Harbaugh and Co have been scheming for this and will have a variety of unique plays drawn up to exploit GB's weaknesses on defense. Use these plays, and some deep throws to Moss, to keep them honest and then hit with the running game hard.

On defense: Nothing over the top, sell out to prevent deep pass plays and long gainers. Make the Packers drive down the field 5 yards at a time. Tug at the ball and hope to get some turnovers, hopefully get sufficient pressure with four men to make Rodgers feel uncomfortable. Step up in the red zone.
Good point about testing their ball security. Paid off big against the Saints.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
First play - quick slant

Second play - play action pass, deep to Moss, Touchdown.

Third - PAT by Akers is good.

Fourth - Akers kicks 65 yards from SF 35 to end zone, Touchback.

that's how I see the game starting out.

Fixed.
gonna Moss these fools over and over again. then give them VD and Crabs.
I don't see us attacking early through the air early on in this game. With their two of their big D-linemen injured, Raji with an ankle sprain and Pickett with a sprained calf, I see us attacking with runs outside the tackles. We will use a lot of misdirection to keep those big guys moving laterally, and to set up play action later in the drive. The Packers gave up an average of 4.7 yards per carry last year and their defense isn't much better this year, and I believe we can control the clock and time of possession all game. In our second drive, or late in our first, I expect us to attack through the air. I don't think we'll see a Moss bomb that early, but short to mid passes specifically to Crabs and VD.

Second half, if the game is close or we are behind, we will either try to get Moss on a fly route or VD on a wheel route (similar to the one he scored with against Denver). One thing will be certain though, we are going to continue to run it and run it a lot. As mentioned in this thread earlier, I can definitely see a 60 percent run vs 40 percent pass. Lambeau is a tough place to play and the Packers have an offense that can put up points quickly. By effectively running the ball, we control the clock, take the crowd out of the game, and keep their potent offense off the field.

If our run game is ineffective, which I don't see happening but could, we might be in trouble. We would need a big game from Alex and our D in order to pull out the win.
Originally posted by Youngb:
I don't see us attacking early through the air early on in this game. With their two of their big D-linemen injured, Raji with an ankle sprain and Pickett with a sprained calf, I see us attacking with runs outside the tackles. We will use a lot of misdirection to keep those big guys moving laterally, and to set up play action later in the drive. The Packers gave up an average of 4.7 yards per carry last year and their defense isn't much better this year, and I believe we can control the clock and time of possession all game. In our second drive, or late in our first, I expect us to attack through the air. I don't think we'll see a Moss bomb that early, but short to mid passes specifically to Crabs and VD.

Second half, if the game is close or we are behind, we will either try to get Moss on a fly route or VD on a wheel route (similar to the one he scored with against Denver). One thing will be certain though, we are going to continue to run it and run it a lot. As mentioned in this thread earlier, I can definitely see a 60 percent run vs 40 percent pass. Lambeau is a tough place to play and the Packers have an offense that can put up points quickly. By effectively running the ball, we control the clock, take the crowd out of the game, and keep their potent offense off the field.

If our run game is ineffective, which I don't see happening but could, we might be in trouble. We would need a big game from Alex and our D in order to pull out the win.

after the saints playoff game alex changed his name to Alex "Big Game" Smith so were in luck
Originally posted by Oscar:
What do y'all think of Richard's CHI vs BAL pick in the Super Bowl?

sounds like someone is just trying to make headlines for himself

i think it's gonna be DET vs DEN..see what i did there
I dont wanna be captain obvious since im sure the Coaches/Staff and players have their game plan set but im game.

Key Notes

Offense-
-Establish the run early which will set up play action to Moss/Crabs
-Expose the middle of the field using the TE Davis/Walker along with Crabs/Williams
-CONVERT ON 3rd DOWN

Defense-
Expose the left side, perhaps
Our DBs can match up against theirs..
as difficult as it may be.. force them to try and run the ball more by having Rodgers make mistakes in the passing game.

keep aaron rodgers off he the field with a great run game and lights out defense sprinkled with explosive deep bomb passes
Originally posted by Delinquentwayz:
I dont wanna be captain obvious since im sure the Coaches/Staff and players have their game plan set but im game.

Key Notes

Offense-
-Establish the run early which will set up play action to Moss/Crabs
-Expose the middle of the field using the TE Davis/Walker along with Crabs/Williams
-CONVERT ON 3rd DOWN

Defense-
Expose the left side, perhaps
Our DBs can match up against theirs..
as difficult as it may be.. force them to try and run the ball more by having Rodgers make mistakes in the passing game.

that will be the key for many of our big games this year, hope to God it improves
RUN THUH FOOTBALL
run run and run

they cannot stop the run possibly worst run D in past decade - and with raji at not 100%

expect a lot of runs
We are not goiong to hide Moss by any means. He is there to stretch the field and to open windows in the defense. I love the fact that we have him because players like VD and crabs will have better years with just his presence. We are gonna throw the ball but we are gonna set it up with the run. The way it should be done with the backs that we have.
Share 49ersWebzone