LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

How will the 49ers attack the Packers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok seriously. Harbaugh is extremely smart. He is going to keep Moss running slants and posts and outs and such mainly, with only the occasional deep route until the playoffs near. He is going to keep the deep ball to Moss in the hat largely so it is a surprise in the playoffs.

So a lot of misdirection, WCO, and slamming the ground game until we turn him loose.
I think it's clear that the only way the Packers banged up defense will stop our running game is by crowding the LOS. So I seriously hope we start the game favoring the pass. Nothing too crazy, all we need to do is complete a couple 15-20 yarders early in the game.... and maybe a few shots deep to Moss and VD. Then once they have a healthy respect for the pass we need to pound it on the ground.

Defense needs to do what they did last year.... put pressure on Rodgers, prevent big plays, and create turn-overs. I'm chalking this one up as a win :-)
I think we come out passing and send a message early that Moss is not just a decoy. Moss wil run some deep routes that will extend the packers defense leaving the middle open for Crabtree and Davis. Gore and Hunter will also exploit the extended Packer defense in the run game because they won't be able to crowd the box. So basically the old WCO philosophy, the passing game is gonna setup the run game which will be used to keep the PAcker offense off the field and the score close.
establish that none of their LB's can run with VD.
We finally have the weapons to attack them EVERYWHERE.
We're going to punch them in the mouth!
Originally posted by Oscar:
What's interesting, and we dig into this on the Podcast, is to look at the game against KC last year. KC ran a varied selection of plays with their stable of RBs. They also ran screen to slow down the Caper's blitz packages.

Green Bay had something like three possessions before the end of the half. And the defense just rushed for and played coverage, but were able to get pressure with their front 4.

I think this is how the 49ers attack. We can learn a thing or two from Kansas City's win.

I really like our chances if we can get the running game going. If we're consistently in 3rd and long, it will be a rough afternoon, I don't care how good our defense is.
Originally posted by Oscar:
What's interesting, and we dig into this on the Podcast, is to look at the game against KC last year. KC ran a varied selection of plays with their stable of RBs. They also ran screen to slow down the Caper's blitz packages.

Green Bay had something like three possessions before the end of the half. And the defense just rushed for and played coverage, but were able to get pressure with their front 4.

I think this is how the 49ers attack. We can learn a thing or two from Kansas City's win.

Spot on!
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Ok seriously. Harbaugh is extremely smart. He is going to keep Moss running slants and posts and outs and such mainly, with only the occasional deep route until the playoffs near. He is going to keep the deep ball to Moss in the hat largely so it is a surprise in the playoffs.

So a lot of misdirection, WCO, and slamming the ground game until we turn him loose.

I only see the "deep ball" to Moss around the 40-50 yard line on 1st down or 2nd and short. On 3rd and long Moss will just be a decoy...hope LMJ is ready for some screens.
Establish the run... It's the best defense you can have against Rogers, just keep the ball out of his hands. Attack their LB's, they have injuries and rookies, exploit them while avoiding Clay.

We have the dynamic of a team that should beat them with ball control and tough defense, compared to making it a trackmeet, just gotta execute.

Originally posted by 5280High:
Establish the run... It's the best defense you can have against Rogers, just keep the ball out of his hands. Attack their LB's, they have injuries and rookies, exploit them while avoiding Clay.

We have the dynamic of a team that should beat them with ball control and tough defense, compared to making it a trackmeet, just gotta execute.

hopefully we can, i just hope roman doesn't over think it like in the NFCC game when he passed way too much in the 2nd half while the run game was working just fine.
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
1st down surprise attack with water balloons, 5 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.
2nd down crossing route Walker from strong side behind wake of Moss running a slant for 8 while their confused.
3rd down Gore for 3, 1st down.

Then we get serious.

1st down misdirection underneath.
2nd down Gore.

1st down Screen.
2nd down Moss deep.

Two straight first downs on second.

With Moss we gonna see a lot of misdirection.

4 yards short of the 1st but i like your thinking
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
can't this have been asked in the Pre-Gameday Thread
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
can't this have been asked in the Pre-Gameday Thread

This is a thread to expand upon what we talk about on the podcast. If you want to stick in the Pre-Gameday thread feel free to stay there. If you want to talk about the points we make on the podcast feel free to chime in here.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
What do y'all think of Richard's CHI vs BAL pick in the Super Bowl?
Share 49ersWebzone