There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Depth Chart released

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are listed as the second string receivers, while Ted Ginn and first-round draft pick A.J. Jenkins are third string. The fact that Jenkins is listed as third string means it's a real possibility that he won't even dress on game days, at least if all five of the other receivers on the roster are healthy. Although Harbaugh has publicly defended Jenkins this offseason, he can't be happy about the possibility of a first-round pick who isn't even good enough to be active on Sundays.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/49ers-list-randy-moss-michael-crabtree-as-starting-receivers/

Credit to WR depth if anything.

For James and Jenkins to be inactive the depth argument can only go so far.....maybe they haven't come along like we hoped. I know its early but to have both top picks in street clothes is disappointing.

but can we honestly say anyone else should be inactive though (excluding injuries)?

disappoint they may not be playing, but somewhat content with they progress they made.
im actually thinking Dobbs could be inactive.
we dont need him and Tuku active on game days.
and that would free up either AJ or Kyle
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by jreff22:
For James and Jenkins to be inactive the depth argument can only go so far.....maybe they haven't come along like we hoped. I know its early but to have both top picks in street clothes is disappointing.

injuries happen. Expect them both to dress and play as the season goes on.
I know that I'm just talking about trier ability to move up the charts on equal turf
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
but can we honestly say anyone else should be inactive though (excluding injuries)?

disappoint they may not be playing, but somewhat content with they progress they made.

I would like to see Jenkins jump Williams and Ham....James needs to pass Dixon which shouldn't be that hard IMO.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by jreff22:
For James and Jenkins to be inactive the depth argument can only go so far.....maybe they haven't come along like we hoped. I know its early but to have both top picks in street clothes is disappointing.

injuries happen. Expect them both to dress and play as the season goes on.
I know that I'm just talking about trier ability to move up the charts on equal turf

For the second time, see Aldon Smith. He was active last year, but he also was the only back up at OLB. And he was an elite talent that didn't even play the first few games.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are listed as the second string receivers, while Ted Ginn and first-round draft pick A.J. Jenkins are third string. The fact that Jenkins is listed as third string means it's a real possibility that he won't even dress on game days, at least if all five of the other receivers on the roster are healthy. Although Harbaugh has publicly defended Jenkins this offseason, he can't be happy about the possibility of a first-round pick who isn't even good enough to be active on Sundays.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/49ers-list-randy-moss-michael-crabtree-as-starting-receivers/

That's such BS. Great players can ride the pine for years. See: Rodgers, Aaron.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
dont like the depth at the O-line or at OLB




They are fine. The last 8 players are basically overpayed PS players, as they do not see the field. If the Tackle goes down, Boone slides over to tackle, with lenoard davis sliding into guard spot. Kilgore backs up other guard spot. If both OT's go down in a game, Davis becvomes a tackle.

The PS players can be activated for next game, so the niners are essentially carrying 10 OL and an OLB in cam johnson on cheap PS.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I wouldn't worry about it. I think Harbaugh is the kind of guy that puts a premium on experience. I also wouldn't put it past him to have the young guys continue to sit and learn while he works them into the line up later in the season. After all, look what they did with Aldon Smith last year - He really didn't play until week four? It certainly wasn't because he sucked.

But Aldon at least dressed and got game time experience. I just want to see them in real action, not hear practice reports.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by jreff22:
For James and Jenkins to be inactive the depth argument can only go so far.....maybe they haven't come along like we hoped. I know its early but to have both top picks in street clothes is disappointing.

injuries happen. Expect them both to dress and play as the season goes on.
I know that I'm just talking about trier ability to move up the charts on equal turf

For the second time, see Aldon Smith. He was active last year, but he also was the only back up at OLB. And he was an elite talent that didn't even play the first few games.

He played in the first game...not much but he got in
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
dont like the depth at the O-line or at OLB




They are fine. The last 8 players are basically overpayed PS players, as they do not see the field. If the Tackle goes down, Boone slides over to tackle, with lenoard davis sliding into guard spot. Kilgore backs up other guard spot. If both OT's go down in a game, Davis becvomes a tackle.

The PS players can be activated for next game, so the niners are essentially carrying 10 OL and an OLB in cam johnson on cheap PS.

dont trust Cam Johnson hes to raw & & needs to bulk up.......we has being man handled all game against the Chargers
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by jreff22:
For James and Jenkins to be inactive the depth argument can only go so far.....maybe they haven't come along like we hoped. I know its early but to have both top picks in street clothes is disappointing.

injuries happen. Expect them both to dress and play as the season goes on.
I know that I'm just talking about trier ability to move up the charts on equal turf

For the second time, see Aldon Smith. He was active last year, but he also was the only back up at OLB. And he was an elite talent that didn't even play the first few games.

He played in the first game...not much but he got in

Is it fair to say his assignment was much more straight forward than the WR? See QB, kill QB.

I know what your saying, but I reall dont think it means much. We are very deep at both postions right now. I really feel like this draft class was for the future, which is a very good sign.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I wouldn't worry about it. I think Harbaugh is the kind of guy that puts a premium on experience. I also wouldn't put it past him to have the young guys continue to sit and learn while he works them into the line up later in the season. After all, look what they did with Aldon Smith last year - He really didn't play until week four? It certainly wasn't because he sucked.

But Aldon at least dressed and got game time experience. I just want to see them in real action, not hear practice reports.

Aldon was also the 3rd best OLB to start the season, so he was bound to get playing time. AJ has a higher ceiling than Williams or Ginn Jr. but doesn't have the value of being a return man. Plus, injuries are bound to happen, so he will see playing time, it just might take a few weeks.
lol @ PFT.
I'll ask it here as well...

Hey, have we confirmed who even plays what position(s) yet? For instance, some guys will play all three WR positions, while some may play two and others may only play one.

What are your guesses or confirmations at this point?

From MM's depth chart, it appears the SE/X is the all-world-speed WR group and the FL/Z is the all-hands team (AJ is both).

Split end (X or SE): Moss/Mario Manningham/Ginn
Flanker (Z or FL): Crabtree/Williams/Jenkins/Manningham/Ginn
Slot receiver (Y or SL): Williams/Jenkins/Crabtree
Slot back: Jenkins (Throw in a little HaRoman magic here from the old WCO days)

From there, we can look at the possible packages we might run (this year) in year 2 of 3 of the WCO installation.

FYI: Naturally, it all starts with pass protection too so until this OL is consistent/reliable on their own, we may see a lot of jumbo/max-protection packages with very few (one or two) receiving options.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM ]
Yea it's not a great sing that he couldn't beat out Ted Ginn. This a early depth chart though. I hope he surpasses him and Williams on the depth chart by the end of the year. But yea when it's likely that your 1st and 2nd draft picks aren't even dressing that you are either extremely deep or just drafted the wrong guys. We shall see