LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Niners to sign Clark Haggans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
You guys trying to guess who gets cut are making my lulz.

Why bother? We'll find out soon enough.

I will say one thing for you guys trying to guess. It makes the most sense to me for the team to cut someone who is eligible for the practice squad.

Now continue amusing me with your pointless debate.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

I will say one thing for you guys trying to guess. It makes the most sense to me for the team to cut someone who is eligible for the practice squad.

This debate is not for you. Stop being amused IMMEDIATELY, or I shall ask you a second time!
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
They listed Dobbs as a TE on the last two depth charts. They had no way of knowing how healthy he was before cutdowns, since yesterday was the first time he got back on the field since his injury. Celek was undrafted for a reason. He had 14 career receptions at Michigan State, and he is not at all fast. He is an adequate blocker, and both is hands and sense of zone coverages were pleasant surprises, but it is unlikely that any GMs cursed the Niners when they secured Celek after the draft. I look at him as a cheaper, younger Peele.

As of Wednesday, Fangio had stated that the backups had not impressed him. Robinson and McBath made one significant play each in that game. If one had been head and shoulders above the other, I believe we would have kept only one of those two guys.
I never said that Celek was a lock. I said I doubted he'd be a casualty of a Haggans signing. Fine, he only had 14 career receptions at Mich. St. But he didn't make this roster for sh!ts & giggles either. I know Fangio said he wasn't impressed but at this point his options aren't better than what he has now. We aren't gonna go into the GB game with only 4 CB's. And keep in mind we currently only have 1 secondary guy on the PS - S Michael Thomas - and he's a rookie. Like I said, at this point it's a numbers game.

What are you talking about? Obviously no one made the roster on a dare, but they still have positions where fringe players are more likely to contribute than others. Dobbs grants flexibility at 3 positions, and he rushes the passer well. McBath and Robinson are safeties, not CBs. You don't need 5 on your roster, and we didn't have 5 on the roster last year, unless you count Colin Jones a safety (which is like calling Brian Jennings a TE). Barring injuries, you would not have more than 3 safeties on the field at any one time (on defense), and that would only occur if you have more confidence in that 3rd safety in a dime situation than you would your 4th CB. I don't see that being the case this year, as both Cully and Cox have looked good in coverage.

Re: Celek, you mention that Harbaugh loves pass-catching TEs. If that was his drive, he would have kept Reuland, who reportedly catches everything but needs work as a blocker, over Celek, who was a blocking TE in college and is still developing in the passing game.
Fine we disagree and we will see how this plays out. As for the 4 CB's I wasn't saying that McBath was a corner, but assuming you saw Brock as expendable in this case. So what we had 4 last season. For me, that means nothing. This season we will be facing wide open offenses with top QB's. And I seriously doubt that we'll be doing it with only 4 CB's on the roster. If McBath is on the field before Brock in dime then I cannot see any reason JH & Co. would even waist a roster spot on Brock. Dime (and injury) is the only reason I can envision Brock ever being on the field.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jgreen49:
is anyone else worried about this "It's unknown if Haralson's absence from the past two practices and exhibition finale are traced to his contract, in which he's slated to earn $2.45 million this season while shifting to a backup role behind Smith" i hope this signing doesnt mean we cut harolson just to save some money. Aldon smith is a BEAST but paralson is much needed insurance that most definitely can be a starter else where so in that essence his 2.45 million salary is worth it. IMO of course

Wow. That was a pretty ugly first post.

You need to include a link to your quote so we know the source.

Your butchering of Haralson's name amuses me, though. Especially considering the correct spelling is in the quote you provided.

That said, I'm also interested in learning more about this information.

Good subject matter, poorly executed. I'll give you a pass this time, but get your s**t together before you post again.

Then why bother posting a comment?
It's going to be celek.....bc he can be got back on the ps if and when nobody claims him
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
This debate is not for you. Stop being amused IMMEDIATELY, or I shall ask you a second time!

I am not amused by your tone.

Sir, I demand you recant or face my typos!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Then why bother posting a comment?

I was attempting to add fuel to the fire so that you would continue to amuse me.

Now dance, my beautiful little jesters!

is anyone else worried about this "It's unknown if Haralson's absence from the past two practices and exhibition finale are traced to his contract, in which he's slated to earn $2.45 million this season while shifting to a backup role behind Smith" i hope this signing doesnt mean we cut harolson just to save some money. Aldon smith is a BEAST but paralson is much needed insurance that most definitely can be a starter else where so in that essence his 2.45 million salary is worth it. IMO of course

Wow. That was a pretty ugly first post.

You need to include a link to your quote so we know the source.

Your butchering of Haralson's name amuses me, though. Especially considering the correct spelling is in the quote you provided.

That said, I'm also interested in learning more about this information.

Good subject matter, poorly executed. I'll give you a pass this time, but get your s**t together before you post again.

Agreed! Haralson probably sees himself as the 3rd starter (assuming this is true and there is a correlation) and it could be a cause for concern, no doubt. I thought they would have addressed his salary much earlier...like once Baalke declared Aldon the starter months ago.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Celek, McBath, or Robinson are gone, at least temporarily. If Dobbs is healthy then Celek can say hello to the practice squad.

A contract impasse with Haralson right before the season starts at a position with injuries to both starters and no other backups?

If thats the case (unlikely) the FO has put itself back 5 years in its quest to move away from the "penny wise, pound foolish" John York-era image.

I am not amused by your tone.

Sir, I demand you recant or face my typos!

HAR HAIR HUR HA R. EWE maid type-ohs like a stoopad. Mossed be imbarasing four yoo. EYE wen, ewe loose! Luser!!!!

BTW, Allex SMiff Gets cut to make rume 4 haygins. Dobes strtz at kwarterbeck. CHampyunshp!!!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Meh
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Okay, maybe it's me but why is everyone acting like this guy is a starter?

For real. #4 OLB, healthy scratch every game if the top 3 are healthy. Possibly cut if Dobbs can play on two feet.
good move!
Share 49ersWebzone