LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Niners to sign Clark Haggans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
It would make sense to keep him out of practices involving gameplanning if he was refusing to renegotiate. Wouldn't want him to know the defenses and coverages they were emphasizing for the big game. I guess a lot depends on how much faith they have in Dobbs being able to step into a third position (as releasing Haralson would drop us back to 3 OLBs).

...did someone mention a*****e? *sphincter re-puckers*

Yeah, it's pretty strange that his contract is being brought up now. Should have been dealt with a long time ago. We need to have stability right now... next game counts... they need to not dick around.

I just also mentioned dicks.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Please please please cut Haralson!!!!

I'd be on board if we weren't so thin at the position.

All Haralson does is play well against the run. He can not rush the passer at all
But we are too thin at OLB, youre right
[ Edited by ImaMod on Sep 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
NO

what did you want the team to do and please give me something better than,, sign an ex niner like travis laboy. the coaches feel he is the best person for what they want and that is someone to come in for spot duty. not hard to figure out. we did try to solve this area in the draft but the two kids got hurt so you go to plan b.
It would make sense to keep him out of practices involving gameplanning if he was refusing to renegotiate. Wouldn't want him to know the defenses and coverages they were emphasizing for the big game. I guess a lot depends on how much faith they have in Dobbs being able to step into a third position (as releasing Haralson would drop us back to 3 OLBs).

...did someone mention a*****e? *sphincter re-puckers*

Yeah, it's pretty strange that his contract is being brought up now. Should have been dealt with a long time ago. We need to have stability right now... next game counts... they need to not dick around.

I just also mentioned dicks.

Bold 1: They used the same timing to re-negotiate Ginn's contract last year.
Bold 2:
Originally posted by ImaMod:

All Haralson does is play well against the run. He can not rush the passer at all

I actually get pissed at him when he plays the run, too. He gets caught peeking inside on outside runs WAY too often.
I think we are fine. Davis will backup G and T, either directly or indirectly. G goes down, Davis goes in. T goes down, Boone goes to T, Davis to G. Another T goes down, Davis goes to T, Kilgore goes to G. Remember, both Davis and Kilgore will be active on gameday. Additionally, Davis played T for his first few seasons in the league. He's probably not quick enough to be a starter at tackle, but he's good enough as a 3rd stringer.

I think the last time Leonard Davis played tackle was in 05 or 06. I know it's been a while.

I'd rather cut Dobbs or Brock.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Good vet signing.

The guy has 3-4 OLB experience, proven track record of production - especially last season, and can provide some insights on the Cardinals D to our team.

Haggins isn't expected to start. So I don't understand why people are hating on this signing.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:

why would you want to cut someone who can play 4 positions? I understand Brock but Dobbs???

at $2.5 million for Haralson, you could have 5 Brocks or 5 Dobbs for 1 Haralson. If Haralson makes 1-1.5 a year, he looks a lot better.

Originally posted by sfout:

why would you want to cut someone who can play 4 positions? I understand Brock but Dobbs???

Dobbs played well last preseason but that's all. He's not better at any of those positions than Haralson is at OLB. Quality over quantity.

Brock maybe but Dobbs? Hell no
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Sep 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]
Originally posted by GEEK:
Good vet signing.

The guy has 3-4 OLB experience, proven track record of production - especially last season, and can provide some insights on the Cardinals D to our team.

Haggins isn't expected to start. So I don't understand why people are hating on this signing.

There's no reason to hate on it, other than possibly who gets cut to make room for him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

Dobbs played well last preseason but that's all. He's not better at any of those positions than Haralson is at OLB. Quality over quantity.

You cant stay that considering you haven't seen Dobbs play in anything but preseason. Coaches dont make players learn 4 positions without planning on keeping them. Besides thats the point Haralson is making $3Mil while Dobbs is making $400K with 4 times the responsibility, that is quality to find a player capable of shouldering such a workload. Haralson is a replaceable over the hill reliable OLB, Dobbs is a young, promising player with potential at 4 positions.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:

I actually get pissed at him when he plays the run, too. He gets caught peeking inside on outside runs WAY too often.
lets not taking this signing as something it is not,... this guy is not haralsons replacement for goodness sake. this place is funny. We sign someone like this guy and all of a sudden the flood gates open and now we think we can get rid of someone in that same position. pretty amusing leap, we got lucky with three backers last year, coaches did not want to tempt fate, they drafted two rookies, they got hurt, we go to plan b and sign a more than respectable vetern. this signing does not mean we will or should get rid of haralson. good lord. i am shocked i have not heard manny lawnson name come up here
Share 49ersWebzone