There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Peyton have been a better fit than Alex?

Originally posted by ninermedic:
How many of the elite QBs in the salary-cap era have had dominant defenses to go along with them?

And if it's as many as I think it is, could there be a correllation there?

Pretty sure most winning QBs had good defenses, if not elite. Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger is the best example. NE has had some dominant Ds along with Brady. The old dominant teams all had good defenses, including the 80 niners. Teams that were great offensively but not defensively had a tendency to lose the big game.

So many really good QBs suffered with bad D's. A Manning and Dan Fouts were two of my favorites.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Pretty sure most winning QBs had good defenses, if not elite. Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger is the best example. NE has had some dominant Ds along with Brady. The old dominant teams all had good defenses, including the 80 niners. Teams that were great offensively but not defensively had a tendency to lose the big game.

So many really good QBs suffered with bad D's. A Manning and Dan Fouts were two of my favorites.

That's why I made sure to add the part about "in the salary cap era."

Roehtlisberger and Pittsburgh is the best example of what I'm asking for, and probably the only example really. Brady has always been very good but it's interesting to note that as soon as he became "bigger than the team" so-to-speak--2007--they haven't won a Super Bowl since.

Generally, teams that have great quarterbacks and that are competitive have good but not dominant defenses. Example would be the New York Giants this last year, they had a very good defense but it wasn't dominant the way ours was. Pittsburgh really does seem to be the closest the being an exception, and I wonder why that is--although it's still subjective enough that one has some wiggle room as to whether Roethlisberger is "elite" or what threshold must be met for a defense to be "dominant."
future podcast topics...

Is steak better then pink slime?

Are rashaun woods and ketwan balmer considered busts?

Should Lawrence Philips jersey be hung in the new stadium?

I kid! Though I do suggest you move away from the "1st take" skip Bayless type topics and do something in depth. A thorough breakdown of our first game vs gb would be great.
better fit? he's diffinitely better accuracy and throw...but honestly.....or oline is good but isnt the best....we heard and seen the ammount of sacks our qbs took the preseason....u think manning would survive? he's not even mobile....and all the nearly 100 million we would have owed him....we would never have gotten goldson back and a few other players....shoot maybe not even carlos if he was signed after...not sure....but he's better...but harhbaugh is smart...he didnt say alex was better....just a better fit and i think thats what he means and lets the media do the rest
*cough*
Peyton is a freaking turnover machine
Yes Peyton would have been a better fit....

if...

We wanted to throw more interceptions in the first 10 minutes of the second game than Alex has thrown in the last 200+ throws.

I think we got the far better QB for our team. Glad we didn't get that gimpy, over payed, old man.
lol hindsight is 20/20
< Alex Smith

Elite. /thread.
Nope. Alex looks like he is playing better. Most underrated QB in the NFL. Plus younger and more healthy and cheaper. So he helped us keep our defense together (because he is cheaper). We win. LOL....
Peyton executing the WCO (short/intermediate passes) >>>>>> Alex Smith. This isnt even an argument; lets not use one bad game to define an entire career. Or should we start pulling out some of Alex's bad games as well
Originally posted by mella8:
Peyton executing the WCO (short/intermediate passes) >>>>>> Alex Smith. This isnt even an argument; lets not use one bad game to define an entire career. Or should we start pulling out some of Alex's bad games as well

This isn't about career this about 1 QB today and another QB today and their fit on our team. BTW tonight Peyton isn't executing s**t better than anybody.

1 SB in 14 years is how his career should be defined imho. For 90 mill.
Originally posted by BayArea:

This isn't about career this about 1 QB today and another QB today and their fit on our team. BTW tonight Peyton isn't executing s**t better than anybody.

Id still take Peyton, and I think Harbaugh would do too
Originally posted by BayArea:

Id still take Peyton, and I think Harbaugh would do too

He could of had him if he wanted.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home