There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Roster Cutdown Thread

If anybody wants to see other team's cuts:
http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=8&transactionYear=2012&transactionTeamAbbr=&prevTransactionMonth=0&prevTransactionYear=0&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=

All laid out nice and neat... bunch of former 9ers... Peele (steelers), Ricky Schmidt and Thomas Clayton (cards), Thaddeus Gibson (bears)
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
So the fact that theyve kept Josh Johnson means that there is still a competition there. It wouldnt be fair to either him or Tolzien to keep them around and prevent either of them from finding a new team unless there was still competition Im assuming.

Or maybe we're trying to see if we can work out a trade and maybe get back a #5 CB? All speculation at this point though.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
A bit surprised to see Kourtnei Brown, Jason Slowey and Brian Tymes cut today. Not that I thought they would have any chance to make the 53 man roster, but I'm surprised to see them get cut in this wave instead of the final cuts. They seemed like players the 49ers might keep on the practice squad to try to develop.

They still could make it on the PS, but don't teams generally cut the guys they want on the PS after the 4th game?

i think we can all agree that JH and company dont follow the general trends. they are on their own program.

But wouldn't cutting these players now allow another team to grab one of them and then try to stash him on their PS? If we had any intention of keeping them on our PS I don't think we could cut them today. Surprised the team didn't think highly enough of Tymes to even try to get him onto the practice squad if Palmer and/or Owusu don't pass through waivers.
its really not a suprise that Josh surrived the first wave of cuts
Originally posted by buck:
08/27/2012
The San Francisco 49ers announced they have moved RB Jewel Hampton to the Reserve/Non-Football Injury List and LB Darius Fleming to the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform

List.08/27/2012

The 49ers have waived Cameron Bell, Kourtnei Brown, Patrick Butrym, Ben Hannula,Joe Hastings, Matthew Masifilo, Cory Nelms, Deante' Purvis, Joe Sawyer,Jason Slowey, Giorgio Tavecchio and Brian Tyms.

http://www.49ers.com/team/transactions.html

MODS CAN WE PUT THIS ON THE FRONT PAGE
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
So, Dixon didn't get cut. I was going to say, unless Jacob is going to be ok.
Looks like 49ers.com updated the roster

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html
Originally posted by mayo49:

Dixon didn't get cut yet so they can run him into the ground on Thursday and save the RB's that will make the team some wear and tear.
Current Roster:

QB- 11 Alex Smith, 7 Colin Kaepernick, 3 Scott Tolzien and 1 Josh Johnson
RB- 21 Frank Gore, 32 Kendall Hunter, 45 Brandon Jacobs, 28 Rock Cartwright, 23 LaMichael James and 24 Anthony DIxon
FB- 49 Bruce Miller
WR- 15 Michael Crabtree, 84 Randy Moss, 82 Mario Manningham, 19 Ted Ginn Jr., 10 Kyle Williams, 17 A.J. Jenkins, 18 Brett Swain, 81 Chris Owusu and 89 Nathan Palmer
TE- 85 Vernon Davis, 46 Delanie Walker, 40 Demarcus Dobbs, 88 Konrad Reuland and 48 Garrett Celek
C- 59 Jonathan Goodwin, 67 Daniel Kilgore and 61 Chase Beeler
LG- 77 Mike Iupati and 66 Joe Looney
RG- 75 Alex Boone, 68 Leonard Davis and 71 Derek Hall
LT- 74 Joe Staley, 78 Mike Person and 65 Al Netter
RT- 76 Anthony Davis and 69 Kenny Wiggins
DE- 94 Justin Smith, 91 Ray McDonald, 92 Will Tukuafu and 63 Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT- 90 Isaac Sopoaga, 95 Ricky Jean Francis and 93 Ian Williams
OLB- 55 Ahmad Brooks, 99 Aldon Smith, 98 Parys Haralson, 44 Eric Bakhtiari, 47 Ikaika Alama-Francis and 50 Cam Johnson
ILB- 52 Patrick Willis, 53 NaVorro Bowman, 54 Larry Grant, 56 Tavares Gooden, 57 Michael Wilhoite and 51 Joe Holland
CB- 22 Carlos Rogers, 25 Tarell Brown, 20 Perrish Cox, 29 Chris Culliver, 26 Tramaine Brock and 33 Anthony Mosley
S- 38 Dashon Goldson, 31 Donte Whitner, 27 C.J. Spillman, 30 Trenton Robinson, 36 Michael Thomas, 32 Darcel McBath and 43 Colin Jones
PK- 2 David Akers
P- 4 Andy Lee
LS- 86 Brian Jennings and 47 Kyle Nelson

PUP- OLB 58 Darius Fleming
NFI- RB 33 Jewel Hampton
Zone sleeper favorite Elvis Akpla-WR got cut by the Eagles.
Originally posted by mayo49:

It's the 1st round of cuts... 22 more will have to go Friday after the last game against the Chargers on Thursday night. (75 to 53)
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Oscar:
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Maiocco's tweet LB Darius Fleming moved to reserve/football injury list. He's ineligible for first six weeks. Same goes for RB Jewel Hampton.

I figured we would move those 2 guys to PUP or eventually IR but why not Cam Johnson as well so we can keep him?

If I recall correctly, you can't go to PUP if you've practiced during TC. I think Cam practiced for the 1st few days; Fleming and Hampton never practiced.

That's 100% correct.

Thanks guys... yeah he did have a few days practice. So can we put him on IR even though he probably won't be out much longer? Or would he have to be on the 53 man roster 1st?

edit: scratch that... Fleming did practice here because he tore his ACL in one of the 1st practices.

Fleming tore his ACL in minicamp, not Training Camp.
And i'm not 100% sure on Cam Johnson and IR, but I think he'd have to be waived before the team could put him on IR, similar to what happened with Nate Byham. Or, maybe they feel he could play this week? Again, not sure how it works when you get injured in TC.
[ Edited by olapac on Aug 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by olapac:
Fleming tore his ACL in minicamp, not Training Camp.
And i'm not 100% sure on the Johnson and IR, but I think he'd have to be waived before the team could put him on IR, similar to what happened with Nate Byham. Or, maybe they feel he could play this week? Again, not sure how it works when you get injured in TC.

Oh, yeah that is right. Glad you are on top of it because I'm not. Thanks
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Current Roster:

QB- 11 Alex Smith, 7 Colin Kaepernick, 3 Scott Tolzien and 1 Josh Johnson
RB- 21 Frank Gore, 32 Kendall Hunter, 45 Brandon Jacobs, 28 Rock Cartwright, 23 LaMichael James and 24 Anthony DIxon
FB- 49 Bruce Miller
WR- 15 Michael Crabtree, 84 Randy Moss, 82 Mario Manningham, 19 Ted Ginn Jr., 10 Kyle Williams, 17 A.J. Jenkins, 18 Brett Swain, 81 Chris Owusu and 89 Nathan Palmer
TE- 85 Vernon Davis, 46 Delanie Walker, 40 Demarcus Dobbs, 88 Konrad Reuland and 48 Garrett Celek
C- 59 Jonathan Goodwin, 67 Daniel Kilgore and 61 Chase Beeler
LG- 77 Mike Iupati and 66 Joe Looney
RG- 75 Alex Boone, 68 Leonard Davis and 71 Derek Hall
LT- 74 Joe Staley, 78 Mike Person and 65 Al Netter
RT- 76 Anthony Davis and 69 Kenny Wiggins
DE- 94 Justin Smith, 91 Ray McDonald, 92 Will Tukuafu and 63 Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT- 90 Isaac Sopoaga, 95 Ricky Jean Francis and 93 Ian Williams
OLB- 55 Ahmad Brooks, 99 Aldon Smith, 98 Parys Haralson, 44 Eric Bakhtiari, 47 Ikaika Alama-Francis and 50 Cam Johnson
ILB- 52 Patrick Willis, 53 NaVorro Bowman, 54 Larry Grant, 56 Tavares Gooden, 57 Michael Wilhoite and 51 Joe Holland
CB- 22 Carlos Rogers, 25 Tarell Brown, 20 Perrish Cox, 29 Chris Culliver, 26 Tramaine Brock and 33 Anthony Mosley
S- 38 Dashon Goldson, 31 Donte Whitner, 27 C.J. Spillman, 30 Trenton Robinson, 36 Michael Thomas, 32 Darcel McBath and 43 Colin Jones
PK- 2 David Akers
P- 4 Andy Lee
LS- 86 Brian Jennings and 47 Kyle Nelson

PUP- OLB 58 Darius Fleming
NFI- RB 33 Jewel Hampton

looking at this I could see Mosley beating out Brock
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
looking at this I could see Mosley beating out Brock

I thought Nelms would have the best shot but you are right maybe it's Mosley but the guy hasn't gotten much playing time at all so that's surprising he made the 1st round of cuts. Other than that I don't think we have any other CBs left with Purvis and Nelms gone to take his spot. Then again we could go with 4 CBs and have Robinson/CJ come in as an extra safety instead of extra DB like we did with Reggie Smith the past few years.