There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

should we be worried about our D?

Trade the big name, big money dead weight players like Patrick Willis and Justin Smith for late rounders if you can even get those for them and go the Pete Carroll route of signing former rivals' castoffs (I would think GB's former defensive players) and CFL players.

CHAMPIOSHIP
I keep chanting "preseaon" to my self as I am worried. I have to give Harbaugh and Baalke the benefit of the doubt that this is all strategy... that is, not showing anything before the season starts. If anyone was going to do it, it would be them.
If Brooks said "It's been a scary start to this point" then I am somewhat concerned b/c the added focus this off season has been on not getting complacent and building upon last year. He's a player and they played championship defensive football last year so he just might have an idea how we should be playing, pre season or not. And then again, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks he may have buttered up the media for the Packers in hopes of them coming out less "scared" than Manning was facing our D yesterday (to the point they game planned).
It isn't comforting watching our DBs chasing a WR AFTER he has caught the ball, and then chasing them all over the field. This doesn't look like last yrs D, but this IS the preseason, and coaches have to view how new guys look, and whether they deserve to be here. Obviously, something is not right with the DBs, whether it is not a good passrush, or missed assignments, or new guys put in that make established guys look bad by their inferior play. Hard to put my finger on it, but there is something not right with our pass D, but it is hard to blame on anyone in particular. Maybe every DB is playing half heartedly, trying not to get hurt(which always results in injuries)...maybe something else. It could just be no one is used to playing with the other 10 guys out there. It DOES need to be fixed between now and GB, or maybe this week's game would even be better.

What I see right now is a 49er team that can be passed on...and that ain't good.
Lets wait for GB then see if we need to worry
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
It isn't comforting watching our DBs chasing a WR AFTER he has caught the ball, and then chasing them all over the field. This doesn't look like last yrs D, but this IS the preseason, and coaches have to view how new guys look, and whether they deserve to be here. Obviously, something is not right with the DBs, whether it is not a good passrush, or missed assignments, or new guys put in that make established guys look bad by their inferior play. Hard to put my finger on it, but there is something not right with our pass D, but it is hard to blame on anyone in particular. Maybe every DB is playing half heartedly, trying not to get hurt(which always results in injuries)...maybe something else. It could just be no one is used to playing with the other 10 guys out there. It DOES need to be fixed between now and GB, or maybe this week's game would even be better.

What I see right now is a 49er team that can be passed on...and that ain't good.

This X 10

It has been alarming that the D hasn't been as stout, especially the DB's. Hopefully this is just Harbaugh/Fangio keeping things close to the vest till the GB game. Not one DB has really stood out in preseason so far except Cox. I mean sure the Pass Rush has not been consistent so the DB's play is somewhat suffering. But man, they sure are giving up alot of yardage. Brock has got to go, too many big plays on him since last year and again so far this year IMO.
I'm not worried. I already expect a drop off from last year. Not easy to replicate a year like our defense had.
If Aaron Rodgers is getting no pressure and GB is moving the ball up and down the field with ease, then yea, I'll get worried. Until then...
Now that preseason is over and the roster has been cut down to 53, the OLB position looks like the one of most concern for the D.

We are gonna play some very good passing teams this year, starting with GB, and putting pressure on and sacking the QB is going to be crucial. I'm worried that having just the same 3 OLBs as last year won't be enough, that Aldon Smith and Brooks could get injured or wear down.

Yet the coaching staff didn't think it was necessary to keep more OLBs. I wonder why.

Could it be that they think other guys can fill in and help? Like playing Dobbs at DE in nickel situations?

Does Harbaugh have something new and different up his sleeve for this season? What about Bowman at OLB, which is what he played at Penn State? He's an excellent pass rusher. Could he get some snaps at OLB in some games?

It would be interesting to see how creative they can get with the front 7 to bring pressure on the QB..
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM ]
Watching our DBs against SD, they appeared better. Problem was it was hard to keep track of who was playing with whom at any point in time. No way to get an accurate fix on our DBs in a situation like that. We win in PS, yet somehow Coach H got good look at virtually everybody. My dark horse at WR, Owusu, a former player for Coach Harbaugh, shot himself in the foot with 3 dropped passes in one series. The DBs were just hard to evaluate, so I quit trying. If you are playing great, and the guy next to you is playing like a putz, it makes both guys look bad. Somehow, Coach and baalke figured it out. I didn't get the 53 right, but did okay on most. DBs were definitely the hardest group to sort out.

Somehow I think Coach will have something special for Mr. Rodgers this coming week...esp at DB.
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Lol.