There are 776 users in the forums
should we be worried about our D?
Aug 27, 2012 at 5:44 AM
- Irish40Niner
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,570
Nope, don't sweat it. Vanilla scheme and players sitting out are the main factors to us not appearing to be ready. Week one we will be fine and beat the crap out of gb!!!
Aug 27, 2012 at 5:44 AM
- Irish40Niner
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,570
Nope, don't sweat it. Vanilla scheme and players sitting out are the main factors to us not appearing to be ready. Week one we will be fine and beat the crap out of gb!!!
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:00 AM
- 49ersalldaway126
- Veteran
- Posts: 14,549
they game planned against us we didnt gameplan at all
in addition to that
for defense: aldon and bowman and culliver were not there. and witht ehm gameplanning and the fact we didnt quite obvious they would pick us apart especially without our best pass rusher bowman and culliver
for offense: our 1st team did pretty well the missnap was not really a concern that literally happens .01% of the time good to have it out of the way in preseason not to mention harbaugh specificallu said they were covering the flats and if it were regular season they wouldve called something vertical to couter which proves al the more they didnt gameplan . Yet alex was 5/7 with 69 yards 1 TD no int
in addition to that
for defense: aldon and bowman and culliver were not there. and witht ehm gameplanning and the fact we didnt quite obvious they would pick us apart especially without our best pass rusher bowman and culliver
for offense: our 1st team did pretty well the missnap was not really a concern that literally happens .01% of the time good to have it out of the way in preseason not to mention harbaugh specificallu said they were covering the flats and if it were regular season they wouldve called something vertical to couter which proves al the more they didnt gameplan . Yet alex was 5/7 with 69 yards 1 TD no int
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:30 AM
- pyroglass
- Veteran
- Posts: 62
Being concerned during preseason is like being concerned about the play during the pro bowl. Why would a first stringer want to risk anything during a game that doesn't matter. If the D drops into the right coverage and is the right spot during a play, don't take the extra step and try to make a big play if you might get hurt or pull something or put anything at risk.
Treat it like a full speed walk through.
Treat it like a full speed walk through.
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM
- TheXFactor
- Veteran
- Posts: 25,990
if our D is good on Madden then were GTG
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:37 AM
- Joecool
- Veteran
- Posts: 70,984
The tackling has sucked.
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:38 AM
- Ninerbowl6
- Veteran
- Posts: 800
Yep...we're screwed
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:41 AM
- Oakland-Niner
- Member
- Posts: 24,062
Time to scrap it and rebuild.
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM
- Overkill
- Moderator
- Posts: 11,944
Originally posted by zero:
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN RT @santi_jack should i be worried about our defense? > If they play without Aldon Smith, NaVorro Bowman, 3rd CB, and don't game-plan, yes.
LOL, I love that answer.
Manning drove the ball with ease and we couldn't stop the run game. I'm not worried but I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable with how things have gone so far.
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM
- blm7754
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,785
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by zero:
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN RT @santi_jack should i be worried about our defense? > If they play without Aldon Smith, NaVorro Bowman, 3rd CB, and don't game-plan, yes.
LOL, I love that answer.
Manning drove the ball with ease and we couldn't stop the run game. I'm not worried but I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable with how things have gone so far.
Yeah, Larry Grant got burned a few times in place of Bowman. Brock got burned in place of Culliver. And we could get much pressure without Smith and without stunts, blitzes, etc.
Denver should have a pretty potent offense and we have always given up a lot of yards to effective passers. But it is pre-season. I'm not worried.
Aug 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM
- blm7754
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,785
Originally posted by pyroglass:
Being concerned during preseason is like being concerned about the play during the pro bowl. Why would a first stringer want to risk anything during a game that doesn't matter. If the D drops into the right coverage and is the right spot during a play, don't take the extra step and try to make a big play if you might get hurt or pull something or put anything at risk.
Treat it like a full speed walk through.
Agreed. The best preseason football comes in the second half when the backups are fighting for their jobs. For the starters... it is practice.
Aug 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM
- Niner_Fan
- Veteran
- Posts: 49
You have to remember the pre-season games are a chance for the coaching staff to evaluate new personal to see who actually makes the roster so you can't put to much into what you see.
I do think that last year the defense had a stellar year so let's hope they can play at that level again this year.
My bigger worry is the offense, The offensive line has got to provide better protection for Alex Smith in the pocket because he needs extra time to get the ball out and I know Harbaugh was working on that with him last year and he did improve somewhat but he has to get better at getting that ball out quicker to avoid the pass rush.
If you watch the backup QB's play you will notice they get the ball out faster and Smith's cautiousness on throwing the ball is why his interception rating was so good so that's a dual edge sword for him.
I actually like the way Tolzein seems to take command of the offensive when he is on the field and I would like to see what he could do if he started a game with all the first stringers.
Another factor for the offense is Frank Gore I'm sorry but the guy is a has been and you can see it on his face, he even knows it, he either drops the ball when they go to him or his runs go nowhere and he looses yards but in contrast when you watch Hunter with the ball the guy explodes, I have watched the Niners go to Gore in key downs of the game only to have him blow it.
They have to improve in the Redzone and get touchdowns if they want to win big games thank god for David Akers the defense that's what got us 13 wins
I do think that last year the defense had a stellar year so let's hope they can play at that level again this year.
My bigger worry is the offense, The offensive line has got to provide better protection for Alex Smith in the pocket because he needs extra time to get the ball out and I know Harbaugh was working on that with him last year and he did improve somewhat but he has to get better at getting that ball out quicker to avoid the pass rush.
If you watch the backup QB's play you will notice they get the ball out faster and Smith's cautiousness on throwing the ball is why his interception rating was so good so that's a dual edge sword for him.
I actually like the way Tolzein seems to take command of the offensive when he is on the field and I would like to see what he could do if he started a game with all the first stringers.
Another factor for the offense is Frank Gore I'm sorry but the guy is a has been and you can see it on his face, he even knows it, he either drops the ball when they go to him or his runs go nowhere and he looses yards but in contrast when you watch Hunter with the ball the guy explodes, I have watched the Niners go to Gore in key downs of the game only to have him blow it.
They have to improve in the Redzone and get touchdowns if they want to win big games thank god for David Akers the defense that's what got us 13 wins
[ Edited by Niner_Fan on Aug 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM ]
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:34 AM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,891
NO! We shouldn't be worried. preseason is horse crap for starting units. manning needed the work since he hadn't played in so long.
When the real games are here the real D will show up.
When the real games are here the real D will show up.
Aug 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM
- billbird2111
- Veteran
- Posts: 17,726
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I know we don't game plan for these games but the fact that we haven't been winning individual match ups is concerning to me. And the fact that the first stringers got ran on like they did is concerning..
You worry too much...
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
I'm a little worried about the secondary if we can't get a really good pass rush. Seems like teams with a good qb may max protect and beat or db's
You too.
People -- we got thumped all preseason last year. I was predicting a 2-14 season, things were so bad.
But -- if there's one thing I've learned -- it's this. Preseason MEANS NOTHING. Why beat yourself up in a meaningless game that doesn't matter?
You want to see passion and a pass rush out of our guys? Wait for GAME 1.
Then -- it's on!
Aug 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM
- DeepNinerValue
- Veteran
- Posts: 60,618
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i know it's only pre-season but our defense hasn't looked very good. we kind of got worked against the vikings, then the texans more or less had their way with us, and finally peypey obliterated us.
now i'm not suggesting that we're going to drop to a bottom tier D, but is it possible we go back to middle-of-the-pack?