LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by cciowa:
of course this is true. the team got lucky cuz alex did not get hurt last year. despite what a few want to think,,,, we had no solid backups last year and we got lucky plain and simple. The coaches did not want to tempt fate like that again this year so they got johnson. now best case,,,, the two kids will show good improvement, the coaches feel good about them and they cut johnson... if Jh trusted the two kids,, they never would have went out and got johnson in my opinion

There were vets we could've signed last year and we didn't. Harbaugh was comfortable with CK and he still is. Josh johnson came to us during the offseason so he could reunite with Harbs. I don think we even approached him.

Your bias is so obvious by the way you talk. You take things that aren't facts and make them facts in your head. You take facts and try to make them not facts. So basically you dont trust Kaep? That's fine, coach obviously does.
Originally posted by kush:
of course this is true. the team got lucky cuz alex did not get hurt last year. despite what a few want to think,,,, we had no solid backups last year and we got lucky plain and simple. The coaches did not want to tempt fate like that again this year so they got johnson. now best case,,,, the two kids will show good improvement, the coaches feel good about them and they cut johnson... if Jh trusted the two kids,, they never would have went out and got johnson in my opinion

There were vets we could've signed last year and we didn't. Harbaugh was comfortable with CK and he still is. Josh johnson came to us during the offseason so he could reunite with Harbs. I don think we even approached him.

Your bias is so obvious by the way you talk. You take things that aren't facts and make them facts in your head. You take facts and try to make them not facts. So basically you dont trust Kaep? That's fine, coach obviously does.

He DID say "in my opinion"
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

He DID say "in my opinion"

Yes. Moving towards the personal. We all have opinions. That's what this place is for. If there is no attribution, it's an opinion. And that's that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I have no bias. I do not like josh johnson at all but if he wins one of those spots fair and square I guess that will show me the coaches were justified in bringing him in.None of us know if coach trusts scott and CK. The only way we will know is when JH writes his tell all book in 30 years! i have been wrong lots of times and have no problem with that but it just appears to me there was a reason we brought in a vet and it had nothing to do with alex smith.I am in the ,, what i think, is,,, the vast majority here who is hoping scott and CK will be two and 3 and josh will be gone... also I think Ck does have somewhat of a longer leash cuz we did move up to get him. i am one of those annoying posters who likes to set on the fence.. i do not think Ck is a bust and i do not think he should be the starter right now. i am in the middle
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Alex is way better than Hasselbeck at this point in their careers but I'm just saying we wanted him. He turned us down. It's not as if Harba saw Alex as a perfect slam dunk if he was still pursuing Hasselbeck after giving al the play book.
I know steve young is a god here but just because he said we were going after hasselbeck did not make it so
in looking back on this,, i owe kush an apology,,,, i can see where he thought me to be snarky. That was not my intention but as you know sometimes we read alot into the tone of a post
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Hasselbeck said so himself...I don't know why he would lie about it?

i never saw that comment,, thank you for bringing it my attention. i just hear young and then it kind of went away. i guess i thought it was some media generated story. that does make sense cuz at the time we had no clue what we had with alex going into last year.
I have no bias. I do not like josh johnson at all but if he wins one of those spots fair and square I guess that will show me the coaches were justified in bringing him in.None of us know if coach trusts scott and CK. The only way we will know is when JH writes his tell all book in 30 years! i have been wrong lots of times and have no problem with that but it just appears to me there was a reason we brought in a vet and it had nothing to do with alex smith.I am in the ,, what i think, is,,, the vast majority here who is hoping scott and CK will be two and 3 and josh will be gone... also I think Ck does have somewhat of a longer leash cuz we did move up to get him. i am one of those annoying posters who likes to set on the fence.. i do not think Ck is a bust and i do not think he should be the starter right now. i am in the middle
Not a bad place to be.

from my point of view, if Harbaugh didnt grab a veteran QB last season during our playoff run, then he must have faith in either

A) CK7 or
B) Greg Roman's game planning

Personally I see it as a mix of both. G-ro is an amazing OC. His run schemes are unique and deadly. His passing plays generally feature wide receivers running wide open. I know Cosell was saying this a lot during the year, but our offense works off of a bunch of shot plays that are generally wide open down the field. This is not at all a slight of Alex Smith, whom I believe is a good QB, but I really believe QB of the San Francisco 49ers is the best job in the US nowadays. Between the defense, the OC, the HC and now all the weapons...it's a bit like a walk in the park.
in looking back on this,, i owe kush an apology,,,, i can see where he thought me to be snarky. That was not my intention but as you know sometimes we read alot into the tone of a post
i hear ya'., no worries brotha!

Happens to me on the daily ( i misread someones post and snark at them)

i never saw that comment,, thank you for bringing it my attention. i just hear young and then it kind of went away. i guess i thought it was some media generated story. that does make sense cuz at the time we had no clue what we had with alex going into last year.

I feel Harbaugh had a few QBs he liked (Alex, Hasselbeck, CK, most likely a few others) prior to the season and just wanted to get as many of them as possible. You kno, just Throw some paint up on the wall and see what sticks.Thankfully Alex stuck because he's better than Hasselbeck to begin with.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Not a bad place to be.

from my point of view, if Harbaugh didnt grab a veteran QB last season during our playoff run, then he must have faith in either

A) CK7 or
B) Greg Roman's game planning

Personally I see it as a mix of both. G-ro is an amazing OC. His run schemes are unique and deadly. His passing plays generally feature wide receivers running wide open. I know Cosell was saying this a lot during the year, but our offense works off of a bunch of shot plays that are generally wide open down the field. This is not at all a slight of Alex Smith, whom I believe is a good QB, but I really believe QB of the San Francisco 49ers is the best job in the US nowadays. Between the defense, the OC, the HC and now all the weapons...it's a bit like a walk in the park.
do you read anything into who is number two or 3 in regards to the backup quarterback thing? I always have but lately some people say it does not make much difference i am just hoping that johnson is not on the roster. I know i always say to support all niners but i have a issue with him and dixon. my problem,, not yours
Originally posted by oldman9er:
That's not a fact. Alex looked better in year 2 than Ck7 has (granted, very limited time so far, but a better support cast all around).

And I'm a Smith fan (an extremist, to some), and I want to give Ck7 lots more time to develop and show us what he has.

Give me a break! Alex better than CK7 in his sophomore season? You already made your judgement after Kaps has played 2 pre-season quarters. So that right there makes your comments worthless... I'm not slamming you I'm just saying

Alex is way better than Hasselbeck at this point in their careers but I'm just saying we wanted him. He turned us down. It's not as if Harba saw Alex as a perfect slam dunk if he was still pursuing Hasselbeck after giving al the play book.
I know steve young is a god here but just because he said we were going after hasselbeck did not make it so

Sportscenter made it clear, that the 49ers were pursuing Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck even mentioned himself how he was unsure whether to sign with SF or the titans. And said he went to Tenessee because of the better oppurtunity to start
do you read anything into who is number two or 3 in regards to the backup quarterback thing? I always have but lately some people say it does not make much difference i am just hoping that johnson is not on the roster. I know i always say to support all niners but i have a issue with him and dixon. my problem,, not yours

I would read Into if it were worth looking in to. My eyes tell me Kaep is the best of The backups and has the greatest potential to positively effect games. Harbaugh hasnt budged on Kaep being the 2, so I see the number two spot as a non issue.

The 3rd spot is really intriguing me at the moment. I like bth ST and JJ and don't wan to see either go. I'm interested to see what JH does. Why no love for JJ?
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
That's not a fact. Alex looked better in year 2 than Ck7 has (granted, very limited time so far, but a better support cast all around).

And I'm a Smith fan (an extremist, to some), and I want to give Ck7 lots more time to develop and show us what he has.

Give me a break! Alex better than CK7 in his sophomore season? You already made your judgement after Kaps has played 2 pre-season quarters. So that right there makes your comments worthless... I'm not slamming you I'm just saying

Did you somehow miss the disclaimer in bold? Try wrapping your mind around that. We are talking about the basic abilities of progression reads and pocket presence. Norv Turner really made some differences that improved Alex, and it's a damn shame he didn't stick around. Alex put up better numbers in yr 2 than did HOF QB Troy Aikman in his 2nd year, and Aikman had a pretty elite and consistent supporting cast despite that fact.

If my assessment is still not to your liking, then I accept that you find the assessment worthless. No problem.... but in limited time against preseason opponents, Ck7 has looked okay, but still worse. And I am not at all discounting the likelihood of Ck7's further improvement as time progresses.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I would read Into if it were worth looking in to. My eyes tell me Kaep is the best of The backups and has the greatest potential to positively effect games. Harbaugh hasnt budged on Kaep being the 2, so I see the number two spot as a non issue.

The 3rd spot is really intriguing me at the moment. I like bth ST and JJ and don't wan to see either go. I'm interested to see what JH does. Why no love for JJ?
can not explain no love for josh! I guess maybe i was not impressed when we played him but of course maybe that was not fair to him as our team was pretty damn good that day!!i know he does some good things, he throws a nice ball, he can run, he knows the system of JH. I guess i just have never been impressed. now i do not see all the games so maybe I am short changing him? i am confusing and scary to figure out. guess that is why my parents always had a two way lock on my door i know there are lots of different opinions out there but as you said, Ck has done well against some of the first team guys, am thinking josh and ST have just faced second and third teams? help me on that one please
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Sportscenter made it clear, that the 49ers were pursuing Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck even mentioned himself how he was unsure whether to sign with SF or the titans. And said he went to Tenessee because of the better oppurtunity to start

got it, kush also corrected me,, thank you!!
Share 49ersWebzone