LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by kush:
I know there will be growing pains with Kaep but I believe if he was getting all the 1st team snaps and starting for a year he would be a more effective QB than Alex.

Perhaps down the road, but we are a team hungry for a trophy right now. It's the right time to find out if Alex can sustain and even improve on his good play. Not the time to experiment with a still very unproven Ck7.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I know there will be growing pains with Kaep but I believe if he was getting all the 1st team snaps and starting for a year he would be a more effective QB than Alex.

Perhaps down the road, but we are a team hungry for a trophy right now. It's the right time to find out if Alex can sustain and even improve on his good play. Not the time to experiment with a still very unproven Ck7.

To dump Smith and go with CK would be a huge gamble.
Originally posted by Lunchwagon:
I think Kaeps timing is a result of not deciding fast enough. Hes made some great throws, back shoulders, outs, stops. I think it gets slow when he gets to his third or fourth, and doesnt realize, "i should have thrown that ball a split second ago but heres a few more MPH". Defense closes, and its a knocked down would be interception. I think all this stuff can be learned. Speed and arm strength cant be learned.

Tolziens "timing" IMO comes from the fact that the third string DBs just cant move as quickly to the ball. 1st and 2nd reads are more open, defenses more vanilla. That being said about Tolzien, is i do think he moves around in the pocket like a good NFL qb. I think he can benefit from some more coaching also. I would be thrilled if he ends up on the team.

All this said, If Alex is our man, i dont want him going down. If he does, I think Kaep gives us the best chance to score points and WIN.

i agree he has stuff that cant be learned however everything that you need to be an effective qb he needs to learn

timing is off
pre read snaps need work
readon defense needs work
going through progressions need work
poise in pocket needs work

the only thing that is see that he improved from last year is he is not getting int but they have been about 3 close ones which maybe 1 or 2 of those shouldve been picked off

i have no idea what kush sees in him saying he can be a more effective qb in alex in a year given first team reps he ahsnt shown me any indication he is ready for a starter role
Originally posted by English:

It would be, that's why I wouldn't do it. I'm saying CK would be worse than AS during the whole year he started and then would be better.

I am in No way in favor of benching our starting QB after his most effective run of games in his career. That wOuld be a nightmare for all parties involved.
It would be, that's why I wouldn't do it. I'm saying CK would be worse than AS during the whole year he started and then would be better.

I am in No way in favor of benching our starting QB after his most effective run of games in his career. That wOuld be a nightmare for all parties involved.

Well that seems fair to me. If you are then saying starting Ck7 right now would eventually make him better next year as the starter? (which sounds like what you are saying) Then, perhaps you are right... but it's as wild a speculation as saying starting Alex this year would make him the better starting choice next year. Like I said though... we want that trophy NOW... for THIS season. (which I know you can appreciate)

Yes I agree. Only one point- you are convinced that CK would be better than Smith after one year. To me that is still part of the gamble. There is no guarantee he will ever be starting qb material. Hopefully, he will. But who knows right now?
CK has the physical tools to be the best QB on the roster by a large margin. But mentally he is not anywhere near ready. I am glad to have the luxury of him holding the clipboard for another year, maybe two and I am ok with him being the backup because if Alex were to go down, those snaps would be very valuable to his development.

I like Tolzien as a high quality career back up. I think he is actually more polished and ready to go in and play right now and his value is very similar to JJ. The reason I like him over JJ though is that he is a traditional pocket passer and probably more usefull to the team as result. He can emulate a different slate of passers in practice than JJ or CK, and if pressed into duty would give us a more stable performance...less peaks and valleys.

I put JJ last only because he represents an underdeveloped version of CK a few years down the road. If CK never gets his accuracy and mental game up to where it needs to be to become a star he figures to look exactly like JJ. He is CK light...a little less physically talented, a little more polished...but neither dramatically so and has reached a point in his career where he is less likely to breakout and become something special...and he gives nothing to the team we cant get our of CK beyond a handful more snaps of real NFL experience.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i agree he has stuff that cant be learned however everything that you need to be an effective qb he needs to learn

Yep
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jreff22:
To go back in time a few months...some of you were ready to let Alex go and have Kap take over....or let JJ do it!!

I still want that to happen.
Originally posted by susweel:

... and I hope you always do. The day that we start agreeing on stuff like this is the day I go and have to really re-evaluate my thinking.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

... and I hope you always do. The day that we start agreeing on stuff like this is the day I go and have to really re-evaluate my thinking.

I think an offense geared around CK's skill set could be very explosive.

Alex is a decent game manager type of QB but i want my QB to star.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
for gods sake yes. i think CK needs to worry about being the main back up before we can start the blather about him replacing smith
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
To go back in time a few months...some of you were ready to let Alex go and have Kap take over....or let JJ do it!!

you must have a death wish for this team Has there ever been a situation where a team got 14 wins and got to within a game of the super bowl only to dump thier quarterback and go with a guy who had thrown five passes in the regular season??
I think an offense geared around CK's skill set could be very explosive.

Alex is a decent game manager type of QB but i want my QB to star.

I can appreciate that. Ck7 could very well make the offense very exciting and really take advantage of this pass-happy, scrambling 4.4 speed Cam Newton-esque way the league wants to be heading to. Me? I prefer a more strategic balance.. seems Jim does too. But to each his own. Fantasy-stats and fantasy football overall mean very little to me. But I would like to see a more effective passing game downfield for us... whoever is under center.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:

you must have a death wish for this team Has there ever been a situation where a team got 14 wins and got to within a game of the super bowl only to dump thier quarterback and go with a guy who had thrown five passes in the regular season??

I don't ever see us winning a super bowl with Alex as our QB, last year was closest he will ever get. I'm fine with him playing this year but I'd also be happy if they decided to go with someone else. Obviously Alex wasn't Harbaugh's first choice.
Share 49ersWebzone