LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 391 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
I think an offense geared around CK's skill set could be very explosive.

Alex is a decent game manager type of QB but i want my QB to star.

I can appreciate that. Ck7 could very well make the offense very exciting and really take advantage of this pass-happy, scrambling 4.4 speed Cam Newton-esque way the league wants to be heading to. Me? I prefer a more strategic balance.. seems Jim does too. But to each his own. Fantasy-stats and fantasy football overall mean very little to me. But I would like to see a more effective passing game downfield for us... whoever is under center.

I don't care for fantasy football I think its huge waste of time. I just like good overall offensive football.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
I think Kap is going to be a bust. I hope I'm wrong. He was projected to be a 3rd round QB and we reached for him in the 2nd round. How many elite QB's were drafted in the 3rd round or lower? Montana and Brady come to mind but they're few and far between.

i understand the reasoning for drafting him AT THE TIME. Remember at the time we had no clue what we had in alex. JH liked him but i am sure he thought he needed someone in case alex fell on his face. So at the time they moved up. Alex then had a great season, which is not debatable except for an extreme element here.You would never catch JH saying it in public but behind closed doors I wonder if they regret that decision or have buyers remorse. At the time it was probably the right thing to do but seeing how alex turned out,,, they did not have to do it
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I don't ever see us winning a super bowl with Alex as our QB, last year was closest he will ever get. I'm fine with him playing this year but I'd also be happy if they decided to go with someone else. Obviously Alex wasn't Harbaugh's first choice.
when JH came on board he certainly was a fan of alex from day one so what do you mean by saying he was not the coaches first choice?
Kaep's ceiling is ridiculously high. He could eventually be such a weapon on a team that runs the ball effectively. With his arm on play action and his ability to run the ball...that said I don't think he'll ever be a super accurate Drew Brees type. There is a chance (and I never in a million years thought I'd say this at this time last year) Alex Smith could be the starter for a LOOOONG time so this could all be a moot point.
Originally posted by cciowa:
I don't ever see us winning a super bowl with Alex as our QB, last year was closest he will ever get. I'm fine with him playing this year but I'd also be happy if they decided to go with someone else. Obviously Alex wasn't Harbaugh's first choice.
when JH came on board he certainly was a fan of alex from day one so what do you mean by saying he was not the coaches first choice?

I think he is referring to Manning.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erStorm:

well that was not day one in my opinion. we have had this discussion before that the niners had a obligation to look at manning. I know some like to read other things into it but i do not. There has been no massive fall out from that pursuit so it means nothing, as we move forward
Originally posted by 9erStorm:

well that was not day one in my opinion. we have had this discussion before that the niners had a obligation to look at manning. I know some like to read other things into it but i do not. There has been no massive fall out from that pursuit so it means nothing, as we move forward
hasselbeck?
Originally posted by kush:
hasselbeck?

if you remember he gave alex the playbook long before hasselbeck you should know harbaugh loves compeition he promotes competition at every position WR,RB proves that

and hwo in the world is hasselback an upgrade over alex?
Kap wont be handed the #2 Job , but he will get every opportunity to succeed and win the job ...you dont trade up in the 2nd round for a QB and banish him to #3 QB duty ...the guys upside is very high , by next year he will be starting QB material , 3 years in the same system will benefit him greatly ...the same for Tolzien, he will also be a servicable QB.

At least we wont be left hanging if our #1 QB went down ...like when Steve young's career was cut short ( thanks lawrence phillips ) Garcia was thrown into the fire and struggled at first, then we tried out Rick Mirer and Steve Stenstrom and HOPED they would work out, goddamn we were even thinking of trying to bring Jeff Hostetler out of retirement ...thank god Garcia developed into a solid QB ...but at least we wont be left in that situation with Harbaugh in charge , he is making sure we have QB's on the roster that can WIN games , and not just be a temporary band aid
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
hasselbeck?

if you remember he gave alex the playbook long before hasselbeck you should know harbaugh loves compeition he promotes competition at every position WR,RB proves that

Alex is way better than Hasselbeck at this point in their careers but I'm just saying we wanted him. He turned us down. It's not as if Harba saw Alex as a perfect slam dunk if he was still pursuing Hasselbeck after giving al the play book.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

if you remember, the only person who ever said we were going after hasselback was steve young. I may be wrong but i would like to see hard evidence which shows anyone with the niners ever said such a thing. back to Ck and the original topic, he has not been given a pass, coach does not work that way, I hope the kid shows good progress in the next two games cuz as far as what i can see,,,, no one is stepping up to take the two spot
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Alex is way better than Hasselbeck at this point in their careers but I'm just saying we wanted him. He turned us down. It's not as if Harba saw Alex as a perfect slam dunk if he was still pursuing Hasselbeck after giving al the play book.
I know steve young is a god here but just because he said we were going after hasselbeck did not make it so

its the compeititon

i can say the same thing about kaepernick

he doesnt trust kaep as a backup so he got a familiar face with josh johnson to take the #2 spot
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
its the compeititon

i can say the same thing about kaepernick

he doesnt trust kaep as a backup so he got a familiar face with josh johnson to take the #2 spot
of course this is true. the team got lucky cuz alex did not get hurt last year. despite what a few want to think,,,, we had no solid backups last year and we got lucky plain and simple. The coaches did not want to tempt fate like that again this year so they got johnson. now best case,,,, the two kids will show good improvement, the coaches feel good about them and they cut johnson... if Jh trusted the two kids,, they never would have went out and got johnson in my opinion
I know steve young is a god here but just because he said we were going after hasselbeck did not make it so

Hasselbeck said so himself...I don't know why he would lie about it?
Share 49ersWebzone