There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

The collective boner for Tolzien around here is disturbing. The only competition anyone here has seen him face are 3rd stringers and guys who will be watching NFL football from their couches this season.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
The collective boner for Tolzien around here is disturbing. The only competition anyone here has seen him face are 3rd stringers and guys who will be watching NFL football from their couches this season.

No kidding, and not to mention, if you actually look at preseason production, he has produced the least. He's the lowest rated QB out of the 4 QBs on the roster and has accounted for a total of ZERO points, and that is going against 3rd and 4th stringers. On the other hand, Kaep has led 3 scoring drives. And while I agree that several of his throws have been late, he hasn't been innacurate, in fact I would argue he's had the most impressive throw in both preseason games so far (sideline pass to AJ on the run vs. Minn, and the perfect back shoulder throw to Moss 25 yds down the field against Hou).

And please don't take this as I'm anti Tolzien, I like what I see and would rather keep him than Johnson at this point, but the love for him and abundant dissapointment towards Kaep seems completely unjustified at this point.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnYouLikeGlue:
Originally posted by DirtyP:

No kidding, and not to mention, if you actually look at preseason production, he has produced the least. He's the lowest rated QB out of the 4 QBs on the roster and has accounted for a total of ZERO points, and that is going against 3rd and 4th stringers. On the other hand, Kaep has led 3 scoring drives. And while I agree that several of his throws have been late, he hasn't been innacurate, in fact I would argue he's had the most impressive throw in both preseason games so far (sideline pass to AJ on the run vs. Minn, and the perfect back shoulder throw to Moss 25 yds down the field against Hou).

And please don't take this as I'm anti Tolzien, I like what I see and would rather keep him than Johnson at this point, but the love for him and abundant dissapointment towards Kaep seems completely unjustified at this point.
As i said before , i do not know what to think in regards to who is ahead in the backup qb spot but i have to tell you, setting back and being totally objective, this poster brings up some very very good points. potential vs production. If you go by that then Ck and josh would be two and 3
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Don't know why Smith fans don't wonna give CK the same opportunity to develop. The fact is Alex looked ten times worse than CK at this point in his career.

That's not a fact. Alex looked better in year 2 than Ck7 has (granted, very limited time so far, but a better support cast all around).

And I'm a Smith fan (an extremist, to some), and I want to give Ck7 lots more time to develop and show us what he has.

Also its kind of an unfair comparison seeing as though Alex was starting, Kap has never started and NFL game and has only seen extensive time in the preseason against mostly 2's.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The wrong question is being asked...the better question is whether Johnson's strong relationship with Harbaugh will influence the decision between Tolzien and Johnson. For all of the Tolzien love here, there is no guarantee that he even wins the No. 3 job, much less whether he should be the #2 QB. And, there is no way he makes it through waivers to be placed on the 49ers practice squad. At a minimum, the Chargers would reclaim him given their back-up QB mess behind Rivers. Personally, i think Tolzien stays, Johnson goes, but that would seem to be the place for greater debate when no one knows whether Tolzien or Johnson will even be around to be considered as an alternative to Kaep.
Originally posted by kem99:
The wrong question is being asked...the better question is whether Johnson's strong relationship with Harbaugh will influence the decision between Tolzien and Johnson. For all of the Tolzien love here, there is no guarantee that he even wins the No. 3 job, much less whether he should be the #2 QB. And, there is no way he makes it through waivers to be placed on the 49ers practice squad. At a minimum, the Chargers would reclaim him given their back-up QB mess behind Rivers. Personally, i think Tolzien stays, Johnson goes, but that would seem to be the place for greater debate when no one knows whether Tolzien or Johnson will even be around to be considered as an alternative to Kaep.

Yep. I have a strange feeling we keep 4.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by kem99:

Yep. I have a strange feeling we keep 4.

I have a feeling the chances the team keeps 4 QBs is somewhere around 1%. Just too deep at too many other position to keep 4 QBs, especially since backup QBs get almost no reps during the season.
The more important qustion is do you trust him to take over and get this team to a superbowl if Alex goes down? I don't but then again i dont trust our other backups any more than him.
I have a feeling the chances the team keeps 4 QBs is somewhere around 1%. Just too deep at too many other position to keep 4 QBs, especially since backup QBs get almost no reps during the season.

Agreed. 4 qb's would be extraordinary.
Originally posted by BayArea:
The more important qustion is do you trust him to take over and get this team to a superbowl if Alex goes down? I don't but then again i dont trust our other backups any more than him.

Are there any super bowl contenders, that would remain so if their starting QB went down? Probably not, so the Niners aren't unique in that way.
Should Smith go down...

Based on game experience? I trust Johnson.

Based on potential from what I've seen thus far? I trust Tolzien.

Based on the coaching staff's confidence? I trust Kaepernick.

The verdict? Let's just hope Smith stays healthy...
[ Edited by 559_er on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]

Let's be honest. How many backup qb's would you put in that category? Steve Young behind Joe? Possibly though at the time there were great doubts. Tom Brady behind Drew Bledsoe? Obviously. Drew Brees behind Phil Rivers? Yes.

Others? Maybe a couple. Maybe Hostetler behind Sims. But by and large, in this modern era of football, you lose your starting qb, you forget the season. Unless all the hard work has been done and the backup can cruise for a few weeks until the starter's return.

I remember one year where a team lost their first three qb's and ended up starting their fourth. Some time ago, maybe 80s or 90s. Anyone remember?

Are there any super bowl contenders, that would remain so if their starting QB went down? Probably not, so the Niners aren't unique in that way.

This is the NFL, ever heard of Kurt Warner? Ben Rothlisberger, Trent Dilfer, Tom brady? You guys dont think we could win the NFC west again with Kap or Tolzien at the Helm, because I do, our defense and running game are elite and could carry us if neccessary, its not impossible
Originally posted by qwestlove94:

This is the NFL, ever heard of Kurt Warner? Ben Rothlisberger, Trent Dilfer, Tom brady? You guys dont think we could win the NFC west again with Kap or Tolzien at the Helm, because I do, our defense and running game are elite and could carry us if neccessary, its not impossible

same here...we have a very QB friendly offense, with weapons all over...and more importantly, offensive coaches that try to put our QBs in familiar roles to which they are more comfortable succeeding....... so there is no guarantee that we would make the playoffs or win the whole thing...but we are in a MUCH better position than other teams, that might need their backup QB to go in.
Originally posted by English:
I assume he is talking about Belichek's time as defensive coordinator of the NY Giants.

By the way, there was no justification for this tone. Next time we adjust your warning level.

lol wow. I used the term rear end. Is that not allowed ?
[ Edited by DirtyP on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM ]