LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by susweel:
Don't know why Smith fans don't wonna give CK the same opportunity to develop. The fact is Alex looked ten times worse than CK at this point in his career.

That's not a fact. Alex looked better in year 2 than Ck7 has (granted, very limited time so far, but a better support cast all around).

And I'm a Smith fan (an extremist, to some), and I want to give Ck7 lots more time to develop and show us what he has.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I don't think, I know A. Rogers is superior to Smith.

And for all of the arse clowns that say you need a year to digest a new system, look at Andrew Luck in Indy. Enough said.

Luck is special and will be better than Smith. He looks like he has a legit shot of being a top five or three QB. Smith won't be a top five QB so it's a bad comparison. Yes, Rodgers, Brady, both Mannings, Brees and some others are better than him. This isn't new. Not sure why people still compare him to the elites. We can still win with him. Only a small handful of teams have an elite QB.

Luck isn't the norm as far as a rookie QB picking up a system in two preseason games. Do yourself a favor and come to grips with who Smith is and should be: a solid, smart QB.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I don't think, I know A. Rogers is superior to Smith.

And for all of the arse clowns that say you need a year to digest a new system, look at Andrew Luck in Indy. Enough said.

Bigtime reading comprehension failure here, maybe you should read the post again, then make another post that doesn't come across as condescending while at the same time totally missing the point. Love how you worked the arse clown in, made the post an instant ninertalk classic.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Don't know why Smith fans don't wonna give CK the same opportunity to develop. The fact is Alex looked ten times worse than CK at this point in his career.

That's not a fact. Alex looked better in year 2 than Ck7 has (granted, very limited time so far, but a better support cast all around).

And I'm a Smith fan (an extremist, to some), and I want to give Ck7 lots more time to develop and show us what he has.

They both looked bad in their second year, but Alex had a horrendous team and an even worse coaching staff.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Geez man, asking if Kaep should be number two is questioning Harbs? Come on... Kaep has not really shown anything to prove that he should be the #2. His throwing motion, decision making, starting down WRs, etc. Tolzien has outplayed Johnson and Kaep, and any unbiased person would admit that. Yes, I know it's preseason but what else do we have to base this on? If Kaep looks like this against the second stringers, it would be scary against the way faster first stringers. Those throws where he stares guys down and is late on would be picked and possibly taking to the house.

I trust Harbs and know he will make the right choice. When we drafted him, we all should have expected a long term project based on his system in college and competition level for the most part. Hopefully he turns it around, but I personally didn't like the pick and still don't.

Agreed. I suspect Kaep is getting the better reps not because he is the best backup now, but because he has the highest potential ceiling. JH wants to give him the experience in hopes of improvement. JH always has only good things to say about all of his players, and that's not to be taken literally. When the games count, we'll be able to believe the pecking order, whatever it is.
Scott Tolzien looks confident.

Perhaps many of us are jumping the gun, but I think the majority of us are conscious of the fact that we're doing just that. The fact of the matter is, we see a QB that looks more or less 'competent' behind the line (the only other QB resembling such being Alex Smith) and we hope for the next coming of Joe Montana/Steve Young. But can you blame us for hoping/dreaming?

Unfortunately, the organization has given us little hope over the years in regards to the most important position in football. Forgive us, but when we see a QB that shows some poise and confidence, we cling to that prospect. It's due to two reasons: 1) we have been irrelevant in regards to the QB position for years (some argue we are still yet proven, in regards to AS) and 2) none of the other QBs have shown the same combination of poise/confidence/football IQ that Tolzien has. (And you can say what you want about people being on the CK7 bandwagon last season and jumping onto the ST one now, but I 'STILL' remember watching ST dice us up with the Chargers and thinking to myself "why didn't Harbaugh go after this guy?")

But what makes us all really 'hope' for Tolzien? For me, it comes down to looking at him and seeing his eyes make the reads. Watching Kaep...as much as I'd love for him to succeed, I want to NOT see the "deer-in-the-headlights" look he's shown throughout most of the snaps he's taken.

When a QB exudes confidence, we become confident in his ability.
Even "experts" can be seduced by measurables and perceived potential. Happens all the time. It's understandable with Kaep because he is such a specimen. And sometimes those experts are just so darn close to it, that they just don't see what we amateurs do. Case in point was Druckenmiller (and lots of others, before and after). His measurables were so impressive that they blinded the decision makers, while many fans were left scratching their heads. Now, Kaep is certainly better than ol' Jimmy Boy, but I'm afraid his "ceiling" is far lower than expected. After a year in the system, he looks much less comfortable in his recognition, and therefore, decision making and pocket presence than Tolzien. I think his teammates sense this, and the writers certainly seem to, as apparently do most of the Webzone based on the poll. And that release! Can we speed it up please? Now, Kaep may experience an epiphany at some point and prove us naysayers wrong. I hope so. But, until then, I gotta go with Scott.

i'm willing to give CK six years to develop into a true #2.
I personally don't think Kaep or Tolzien are getting shafted. I didn't claim any one of them to be "my guy" it is just that after year 8 #11 still doesn't look very good. I watched both preseason games and I don't know what everyone else saw. I saw the same ok #11. For the 49ers sake I hope he plays well this season. I

I'm on the he played average to mediocre last year and I don't think the 49ers will be +28 in turnover so #11 will have to play exponentially better to replicate last years success. I hope he does and if by week 5 he isn't I'd love to see Kaep play for the sake of the future of the franchise. This has become a passing league and the 49ers need to improve in that area. Go Niners
I called out San Diego, and Like I expected he didn't respond...fpr all his *opinions* he was spreading in this thread or another one...nope, nothing when he was called out....I asked him, since there were so many inaccurate passes in that Texans's game, he should have many to choose from...but of course he still hasn't respond...sure he responded to someone else with the same opinion with no detailed backing..but still hasn't responded. .Its easy to give your opinion with no merit and keep quiet...so I'll let someone else step up for him.

for anyone that says Kaep has horrible accuracy, looks lost out there, or what ever in that Texan's game....pull out screen shots of SD's "inaccurate" completed passes...in-completed passes...and what ever. Also don't conveniently forget to add the passes that were called back for penalties.

Houston game was just a few days ago and NFL network has showed it a couple of times, I'm sure some can think of some off the top of their head. I remember 1-2 if you want to call them inaccurate passes...receivers were covered tight.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM ]

Originally posted by Afrikan:
I called out San Diego, and Like I expected he didn't respond...fpr all his *opinions* he was spreading in this thread or another one...nope, nothing when he was called out....I asked him, since there were so many inaccurate passes in that Texans's game, he should have many to choose from...but of course he still hasn't respond...sure he responded to someone else with the same opinion with no detailed backing..but still hasn't responded. .Its easy to give your opinion with no merit and keep quiet...so I'll let someone else step up for him.

for anyone that says Kaep has horrible accuracy, looks lost out there, or what ever in that Texan's game....pull out screen shots of SD's "inaccurate" completed passes...in-completed passes...and what ever. Also don't conveniently forget to add the passes that were called back for penalties.

Houston game was just a few days ago and NFL network has showed it a couple of times, I'm sure some can think of some off the top of their head. I remember 1-2 if you want to call them inaccurate passes...receivers were covered tight.

if i rememebr right he missed KW pretty badly after having another bad pass and had i believe it was the play right before he perfectly through it to moss i wont go as far as to say he is inaccurate but he definitally does not have the timing of the routes down at all the bal is coming late on more than 1 occasion so i do question if he is uncomfortable or he needs more reps whatever it is that needs to be fixed

i do think he is the #2 QB but were in a 2007 49er situation here he just isnt loosing teh job here he is not winning it and no one is taking it away from him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

what if san diego got in a car wreck? you would feel bad. i do not know enough about the position of quarterback but i just really want to get to a point where i feel comfortable with a guy who has to come in in case alex gets hurt. i did not feel that way all of last year and i am kind of thinking the coaches did not either thus, the need for a vet like josh johnson. all three of these guys have been up and down so far in pre season and it just sounds like no one is taking charge.I do not care who they are or what number they wear. I just want to feel comfortable with our back ups and I still do not feel that way. This rant may have nothing to do with the topic but just wanted to share my opinion.. should we be at the point now when someone starts to seperate themselves from the three pack? I would appreciate an objective answer. thank you cc
Originally posted by cciowa:
what if san diego got in a car wreck? you would feel bad. i do not know enough about the position of quarterback but i just really want to get to a point where i feel comfortable with a guy who has to come in in case alex gets hurt. i did not feel that way all of last year and i am kind of thinking the coaches did not either thus, the need for a vet like josh johnson. all three of these guys have been up and down so far in pre season and it just sounds like no one is taking charge.I do not care who they are or what number they wear. I just want to feel comfortable with our back ups and I still do not feel that way. This rant may have nothing to do with the topic but just wanted to share my opinion.. should we be at the point now when someone starts to seperate themselves from the three pack? I would appreciate an objective answer. thank you cc

well...I don't know why we need someone to separate away from the pack, what if the other two are just..you know doing good compared to other backup backups. Besides, Kaep was facing mostly the starters. I know we pulled away our starters way earlier than they did.

I think if you watch his passes over and over again...along with him acknowledging that one pass/decision he would like to take back.....the more you watch the more you could see that he is accurate..and if it came down to it...that Harbaugh would surely put him in the best position to succeed when it counts during the season.

I think when ever a QB read option is called, some fans look at it as a negative on Kaep's part...like he is holding the offense back. If you notice during those situations, the defense was not blitzing like crazy or at least not getting pressure like it did before....on a few plays, Kaep and James pickup good yardage...but more importantly, is when they call passes from those situations. You usually get more time to make a decision...and by then the defenders are usually playing underneath, which opens up opportunity down the field. I FULLY expect Alex to be doing the same thing...like he did alittle bit last season.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM ]
The upside for Kaep is just too high and he presents a multitude of threats to a defense trying to scheme against him. He's got the arm, the athleticism, and the pedigree to be a really dangerous player in this league if he can become a good decision maker.

That being said, I think upside is a far cry from actually earning the #2 spot. I'd feel much better at this point with Tolzien starting in the event that Alex goes down considering the offense we ran last year. But if Jim is building this offense to be great in the future, I can see why he would want to give Kaep every opportunity to get better and that means getting the top-backup's reps in practice and in game situations.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
well...I don't know why we need someone to separate away from the pack, what if the other two are just..you know doing good compared to other backup backups. Besides, Kaep was facing mostly the starters. I know we pulled away our starters way earlier than they did.

I think if you watch his passes over and over again...along with him acknowledging that one pass/decision he would like to take back.....the more you watch the more you could see that he is accurate..and if it came down to it...that Harbaugh would surely put him in the best position to succeed when it counts during the season.

I think when ever a QB read option is called, some fans look at it as a negative on Kaep's part...like he is holding the offense back. If you notice during those situations, the defense was not blitzing like crazy or at least not getting pressure like it did before....on a few plays, Kaep and James pickup good yardage...but more importantly, is when they call passes from those situations. You usually get more time to make a decision...and by then the defenders are usually playing underneath, which opens up opportunity down the field. I FULLY expect Alex to be doing the same thing...like he did alittle bit last season.
appreciate your good thoughts. there are just so many different opinions on who is in the drivers seat for the number two spot(maybe that is over rated in the grand scheme of things as you said?). those opinions come from both posters and the media and it makes my head spin. Then of course the coaches know for sure and you know how far that will go if you ask them.
Share 49ersWebzone