LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by 16to87:
Kap looks and smells like #2 with flies on it, but it's only year two. Alex looked like crap for six. we need to be patient.

Problem I see with this post is Yr 1 Show me ANY QB including J Montana that would look good on that LOUSY High school football team the Niners had in year 1 that A Smith was thrown into the fire. Year 2 A Smith improved by leaps and bounds over year 1. Then N Turner leaves to goto SD and things unraveled for A Smith. Year 3 A Smith Get his shoulder torn up...Dont know if you ever hurt your shoulder but Im getting ready to go through major reconstruction of my shoulder and have been in MAJOR pain for 5 months now...so I KNOW how A Smith felt...and having his coach Bashing him for the shoulder was a JOKE. Year 4 A Smith doesnt even play year 5 & 6 were LOUSY years for him but then he did have J Raye as his OC...

So Many here think A Rogers is superior to A Smith But if the Niners picked A Rogers instead he'd have been thrown into the fire just as A Smith did and wouldnt have had the chance to sit for a few years and learn the system while B Favre was running the team. and A Smith never had the fire power WR that A Rogers got to enjoy in GB... This year maybe different.
Either you trust Harbaugh or you don't. I think CK looks like a poor mans Vince Young, but it is still too early to start saying he sucks, he will likely get better. One thing I feel is certain, if he doesn't get better, he won't be around for long. Just have patience, he was not as ready as Smith was to play in the pros. To me, he is an incredible athlete, and a work in progress as a qb.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Either you trust Harbaugh or you don't. I think CK looks like a poor mans Vince Young, but it is still too early to start saying he sucks, he will likely get better. One thing I feel is certain, if he doesn't get better, he won't be around for long. Just have patience, he was not as ready as Smith was to play in the pros. To me, he is an incredible athlete, and a work in progress as a qb.

Didn't read the 8 pages prior, but THIS is all that needs to be said.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Harbaugh isn't perfect and one great season doesn't make him the next coming of Bill Walsh. He got it wrong on CK.
Someone needs to do a mash up of all the throws by the qbs in preseason so we can get rid of this fallacy that Ck looks more uncomfortable throwing in the pocket then any of our other qbs. It's just not true and can't be supported by evidence.
All this time I thought practices were closed to the public, but it turns out that apparently dozens of WebZone members have been able to go in and study Kaepernick and see exactly what Harbaugh and Cryst see, and then proclaim themselves to be more knowledgeable about quarterbacking in the NFL and determine that Harbaugh and Cryst are wrong.

That's gotta be the only explanation. Otherwise, they would only be relying on a small handful of preseason snaps from a 24-year-old during his first full offseason after making a major scheme change from the college where he threw for over 10,000 yards. And no one here is foolish enough to say that Kaepernick would be demoted or even cut based on just that.... right?
I still don't see what Harbaugh sees in Kap, but I also don't think either Johnson or Tolzien has outplayed him. Either way, we're in deep s**t if Alex gets hurt.
Originally posted by sspiker:
All this time I thought practices were closed to the public, but it turns out that apparently dozens of WebZone members have been able to go in and study Kaepernick and see exactly what Harbaugh and Cryst see, and then proclaim themselves to be more knowledgeable about quarterbacking in the NFL and determine that Harbaugh and Cryst are wrong.

That's gotta be the only explanation. Otherwise, they would only be relying on a small handful of preseason snaps from a 24-year-old during his first full offseason after making a major scheme change from the college where he threw for over 10,000 yards. And no one here is foolish enough to say that Kaepernick would be demoted or even cut based on just that.... right?

I sense some sarcasm.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Perhaps the questionnaire should read.

Colin Kaepernick- aka baby vince young, can run like the wind

Scott Tolzien- aka baby brees, reads defenses, quick release. Throws players open.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
No one has seen Tolzien throw against anything but third stringers yet it seems the majority of people here think they have a big enough sample size to declare him a better player than Kaepernick. I don't understand that at all. Harbaugh has stated nothing is given on this team. So far, Harbaugh has held true to everything he has said publically so why do so many hear assume differently in this case? 2nd round picks don't get enough guaranteed money in the new rookie pay scale to warrant a cemented spot on the depth chart. AJ Jenkins position on the depth chart alone should end this discussion.

Your Post is fire! Blazing with the truth... Enough said

Geez man, asking if Kaep should be number two is questioning Harbs? Come on... Kaep has not really shown anything to prove that he should be the #2. His throwing motion, decision making, starting down WRs, etc. Tolzien has outplayed Johnson and Kaep, and any unbiased person would admit that. Yes, I know it's preseason but what else do we have to base this on? If Kaep looks like this against the second stringers, it would be scary against the way faster first stringers. Those throws where he stares guys down and is late on would be picked and possibly taking to the house.

I trust Harbs and know he will make the right choice. When we drafted him, we all should have expected a long term project based on his system in college and competition level for the most part. Hopefully he turns it around, but I personally didn't like the pick and still don't.
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Originally posted by 16to87:
Kap looks and smells like #2 with flies on it, but it's only year two. Alex looked like crap for six. we need to be patient.

Problem I see with this post is Yr 1 Show me ANY QB including J Montana that would look good on that LOUSY High school football team the Niners had in year 1 that A Smith was thrown into the fire. Year 2 A Smith improved by leaps and bounds over year 1. Then N Turner leaves to goto SD and things unraveled for A Smith. Year 3 A Smith Get his shoulder torn up...Dont know if you ever hurt your shoulder but Im getting ready to go through major reconstruction of my shoulder and have been in MAJOR pain for 5 months now...so I KNOW how A Smith felt...and having his coach Bashing him for the shoulder was a JOKE. Year 4 A Smith doesnt even play year 5 & 6 were LOUSY years for him but then he did have J Raye as his OC...

So Many here think A Rogers is superior to A Smith But if the Niners picked A Rogers instead he'd have been thrown into the fire just as A Smith did and wouldnt have had the chance to sit for a few years and learn the system while B Favre was running the team. and A Smith never had the fire power WR that A Rogers got to enjoy in GB... This year maybe different.

I don't think, I know A. Rogers is superior to Smith.

And for all of the arse clowns that say you need a year to digest a new system, look at Andrew Luck in Indy. Enough said.
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
No one has seen Tolzien throw against anything but third stringers yet it seems the majority of people here think they have a big enough sample size to declare him a better player than Kaepernick. I don't understand that at all. Harbaugh has stated nothing is given on this team. So far, Harbaugh has held true to everything he has said publically so why do so many hear assume differently in this case? 2nd round picks don't get enough guaranteed money in the new rookie pay scale to warrant a cemented spot on the depth chart. AJ Jenkins position on the depth chart alone should end this discussion.

Your Post is fire! Blazing with the truth... Enough said

Based on the sample size, Tolzien has looked better unless you are blind or biased. Yes, he is playing against thirds and not seconds, but still. From what we have to base it on (a small sample size) he has looked better. Who knows if this will hold true, but Kaep hasn't impressed in regards to throwing for the most part. I just pray that neither one of them has to play a meaningful snap in the regular season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Don't know why Smith fans don't wonna give CK the same opportunity to develop. The fact is Alex looked ten times worse than CK at this point in his career.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Kaep has not really shown anything to prove that he should be the #2.

I think a more accurate assessment would be to say that Ck7 hasn't really done much to separate himself above Tolzien and J.J as the # 2.

They have all seemed rather... good and bad. So if that much were true in the eyes of Jim? Then it goes to all of their practice time tipping the scale in one direction or the other.
Share 49ersWebzone