LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Anyone else concerned

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
That didn't stop Schaub from performing well, being pre-season at all. Watching Schaub and #11 was night and day. Makes you appreciate what it means to have a solid starter under center.
you just can not put a blanket on this. comparing how two quarterbacks played in a game means nothing. what approach did the teams take on defense ? i think had we dialed up some pressure we could have beat up your boy matt. but there was no reason for us to do so. josh johnson looked the best of any niner quarterback last night so does that mean josh is your flavor of the month and should be given the keys. i guess i should be used to this but still am stunned by the knee jerk reactions people have to these pre season games.i also think you are in the minority of people who do not appreciate who we have under center. your alternative is what or whom?
Originally posted by jreff22:
I will get concerned when we lose a real game

This, not concerned until the opening week begins, if we come out flat and get blown out, then I am concerned, if its close or we win big, then nope. But injuries suck, hopefully Jacobs is back soon, he is gonna be a big addition, clearly looked revived, and ready for a fresh start. Also hope James is ok and comes back, he needs work.
Was concerned but not now.

Good teams work on specific things in pre-season that have little to do with winning the game or the season. Other than testing some players they think have talent, or some setups to work on.

The intensity isn't there with the starters and they are just trying to avoid injury, which sometimes leads to injury.

That's why you often see high end teams lose in the pre-season.

Montana and Young lost in the pre-season too.

This team isn't that good, just saying.
houston has a great defense though , wouldnt be too concerned yet
That didn't stop Schaub from performing well, being pre-season at all. Watching Schaub and #11 was night and day. Makes you appreciate what it means to have a solid starter under center.

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to put down Schaub, because he did have a decent game, but remember that he only scored a TD against the second-team defense.
Houston was gunning for SF in a pre-season game like it was the superbowl because they are trying to fire themselves up.

SF was testing some things.

Big difference.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
you just can not put a blanket on this. comparing how two quarterbacks played in a game means nothing. what approach did the teams take on defense ? i think had we dialed up some pressure we could have beat up your boy matt. but there was no reason for us to do so. josh johnson looked the best of any niner quarterback last night so does that mean josh is your flavor of the month and should be given the keys. i guess i should be used to this but still am stunned by the knee jerk reactions people have to these pre season games.i also think you are in the minority of people who do not appreciate who we have under center. your alternative is what or whom?

its not only schaub, its Cutler, Flynn, even Wilson, and others.... #11 is our starter, but man, just throw the ball more than 4 yrds
about the Oline
Originally posted by cciowa:

???
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Houston was gunning for SF in a pre-season game like it was the superbowl because they are trying to fire themselves up.

SF was testing some things.

Big difference.

What led you to this conclusion?

Originally posted by Allx9er:
about the Oline

Been watching again... Anthony Davis is responsible for Alex getting hit twice... that's twice... in the first two pass plays and both from Barwin.

AD plays mean and nasty like you want... he's also pretty good on his run blocks... but man, this guy is gonna get our QB killed. I mean, it's no wonder we don't run more vertical plays.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
What led you to this conclusion?

probably the exotic blitz packages they were bringing every single down alex played...
I feel concerned about our short-yardage back going down, big time.

However, overall -- we did okay as a team. Houston put together blitz packages that were regular-season type. As some others mentioned, it was one of those sending a message type games for the AFC South champs.. just like the Saints last year.

We are the hunted. Bottom line. We go into a preseason game with an agenda to get Manningham, Moss, Gore involved on a few plays. Test some different stunts on the d-line (very ineffective), and also had a pretty bad showing on the offensive line.

I also am not concerned because Jim Harbaugh didn't gameplan for that team. Once we are in a game... and we look bad like we did last night.. then I will be concerned. Anthony Davis/Boone looked pretty bad at pass protection, too. They need to work on that.
Harbaugh isnt showing a lot, look how he had our offense going at the beginning of last year, he is waiting for week 1 vs the Pack
You want our team to play better, but we aren't going to show much. I would like to see our offense pass more on 3rd down. But we are resigned to running the ball.

We pretty much shut down our 1st string early in the game, Schaub scored against our 2nd and 3rd string guys.

I'm not worried, I would be more worried if we get injured......that's what I fear the most in the preseason.

Hunter looks in top form and so does Gore.
Share 49ersWebzone