LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 423 users in the forums

Anyone else concerned

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nope
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
yeah, if Alex hits Randy deep on that play..the Texans would have to adjust to the big play...and they would have to ease back alittle bit with all that pressure, until we hit them again.

someone help me remember, but when Kaep came in he was still playing the starters..BUT they were not blitzing like crazy anymore, because of his and our RB's big play ability with those miss direction plays.

what's funny is that Alex can run those types of plays, especially if teams over commit with the pressure...some bash Kaep when the coaches calls those types of plays, but they also help keep the defense honest and give us more time in the pocket. We have to make teams want to give us more time in the pocket....if Alex hits Randy deep or Alex and the RBs execute big plays with those QB read option runs....our Oline would magically look better out there.

Yeah instead they accomplished the opposite. Instead of getting them to back off the pressure they let them know that even if they got a wide open receiver deep Alex wont event try to get it to them. Made them feel fine with leaving the deep threats to chance so they could focus the pressure.

I agree 100%. I know it's pre-season but Alex looks the same ol' Alex, Kaep in my opinion though very raw looked better than our #1. I think his legs and arms clearly improve the play of the offensive line and the running game because the threat of a down field throw or CK7 taking off is in the minds of the defense.It opens the game up more for Gore and Hunter which would improve the whole offense.

I think the o-line would look a lot better if Smith was a little quicker to decide what to do with the ball and I still hate the fact that I still have to hear "That's not Smith's Game" when an open receiver is streaking down the sideline for a possible TD. I dislike the little dink and dunk passes that are #11's forte and he is still having accuracy issues under pressure because he is still not even very accurate on the little dink and dunk passes.

Call it pre-season, call it what you want but you can't change Alex Smith and sure he might hit his passes in practice but when live bullets fly #11 just doesn't look very good in my opinion. He looks scared, plays scared and safe and that concerns me. I don't think the defense is going to repeat last years success (+28 turnovers, only second to GB) and the 49ers will be playing with a target on their backs. I think the QB play needs to be exponentially better than the status quo but that's just my opinion. I see us getting challenged in the west if the the offense is mediocre.
Our starters did well. They stopped, and then the offense scored and kept up with everything. No big deal...they did great.

What I don't understand is why Rock Cartright is getting so many carries? dude is in his 11th year...we know what we are getting with him, why risk him getting injured being a running back when they said they got him for special teams....

I'm worried about lamichael james...he looks like he's not really ready yet...maybe he would be better for the saints or someone that knows how to use him..
We're a run first team in a pass first league. We're never going to be taming more than a few downfield shots in a game unless we're really behind. It's time to get used to it.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
that we're still not pushing the ball down the field with the passing game? I was hoping with an upgrade in the WR postion that we would start pushing the ball down the field some but it sure does not look that way.

no it is preseason--they dont game plan the games like a regular season game
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Our starters did well. They stopped, and then the offense scored and kept up with everything. No big deal...they did great.

What I don't understand is why Rock Cartright is getting so many carries? dude is in his 11th year...we know what we are getting with him, why risk him getting injured being a running back when they said they got him for special teams....

I'm worried about lamichael james...he looks like he's not really ready yet...maybe he would be better for the saints or someone that knows how to use him..
you are ready to throw james away after two pre season games? after two games you know the team is not using him in the right way? unbelievable
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Our first team offense played well against their first team defense, and our first team defense played well against their first team offense. After the first two drives (with the score tied 3-3) everything else didn't exist in my mind. From there on we were going for it when we wouldn't and the 49ers had a bunch of scrubs in.

I am concerned about the officiating though.
Originally posted by hofer36:
that we're still not pushing the ball down the field with the passing game? I was hoping with an upgrade in the WR postion that we would start pushing the ball down the field some but it sure does not look that way.

That didn't stop Schaub from performing well, being pre-season at all. Watching Schaub and #11 was night and day. Makes you appreciate what it means to have a solid starter under center.
I'm not worried. Look, it's PRESEASON...who shows their big plays during preseason, unless the team WANTS the opposition to know their playbook?

What I've been waiting to see is:
1) How does the OL look?

- Run blocking looks awesome, but pass-blocking on right side is left wanting, Davis needs to get his shyt together.

2) How will our passing game look?

- Alex is throwing it, but only seen 3 deep ball attempts all preseason (One completed to Ginn, One completed to Swain, and One that should've been PI that Manningham didn't get to), other than that they've limited Smith to short out routes and intermediate routes. I like how Moss is getting separation and VD/Crabs need to get rid of their "alligator arms" issues this offseason.

3) How does our DEF look?

- They look awesome. Outside of a deep Ponder pass (3pts) and a deep Schaub pass (3pts), our starters have been bad ass. Hell, our starting DEF has allowed 6 pts, and this is without blitzing and our star pass rusher...not worried

Overall, yes we can get better, especially on our OL play, but remember 1st quarters are the only "real" stat in preseason, so I think we on schedule (remember how many "Superbowl bound" messages would be around by the Raiders b/c they'd go 4-0 in preseason?)
[ Edited by Crazy49er1313 on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by hofer36:

That didn't stop Schaub from performing well, being pre-season at all. Watching Schaub and #11 was night and day. Makes you appreciate what it means to have a solid starter under center.

You noticed QBs... Most of us noticed pass rush. If anything, we saw how valuable The Smiths and Brooks are for the defense; not that there was any doubt.
We couldn't rush the passer, the Texans were blitzing a lot. Your conclusions are flawed.

Here we go. Lose a preseason game running a vanilla offensive scheme. some people have nothing else to worry about. its preseason people.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Want to eventually see more deep shots, but not concerned in the preseason. Still can't understand how the refs missed the P.I. on Mario when Alex did take that one deep shot.

They aren't real refs. They just took guys off the street and put zebras on em.
No, not concerned about the passing game at this time. It's going to take time to get going, and "get going" will end up well below the elite passing offenses. They don't need to be the Saints, they just need to be able to convert some third downs here and there and perform better in the Red Zone. This is still going to be a run-first team, a defense-oriented team, and ST-dominating team that plays field position and efficient football. They have lots of weapons to use in the red zone and on 3rd down. Once the regular season starts and they actually game plan, I think we'll see a healthy improvement over last year. And that should be enough to compete for the Super Bowl given what the rest of the team is doing.
Originally posted by mkeniner:
No, not concerned about the passing game at this time. It's going to take time to get going, and "get going" will end up well below the elite passing offenses. They don't need to be the Saints, they just need to be able to convert some third downs here and there and perform better in the Red Zone. This is still going to be a run-first team, a defense-oriented team, and ST-dominating team that plays field position and efficient football. They have lots of weapons to use in the red zone and on 3rd down. Once the regular season starts and they actually game plan, I think we'll see a healthy improvement over last year. And that should be enough to compete for the Super Bowl given what the rest of the team is doing.

Agree, if we're gonna run the ball as effectively as we have been, why abandon that. If we can take advantage when teams load he box by hitting key passes off PA
then defenses wont know what to do. With how we run the ball, all we gotta do is keep the defense honest and skies the limit.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
MRI come back on Jacobs yet?
Share 49ersWebzone