There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers' Alex Boone has risen from the depths of alcohol abuse

Originally posted by jreff22:
time to draft a new OT this year

Must agree. Doesn't have to be a first or 2nd rounder.. but I'd like a quality depth OT in the middle rds.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Must agree. Doesn't have to be a first or 2nd rounder.. but I'd like a quality depth OT in the middle rds.

Ive been keeping a running draft sheet after every week on where the issues have been and what rounds I would target positions....right now I have OT being a 4th round target.

Ive been keeping a running draft sheet after every week on where the issues have been and what rounds I would target positions....right now I have OT being a 4th round target.

Sounds good. Where do you have our rush LB draftee and FS?

Sounds good. Where do you have our rush LB draftee and FS?
week 1
FS-1
OLB-3

week 2
FS-1
OLB-2

week 3
OLB-1
FS-2

week 4
OLB-3
FS-4
Originally posted by sspiker:
Crushing Blocking

The 49ers were able to win this game thanks largely to dominating the point of attack in the trenches. They were no doubt assisted by the occasional use of the option threat, but Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Vernon Davis in particular all made some huge blocks and controlled their linemen at the point of attack. Boone (+3.6) looks to be developing into one of the finest guards around, which makes a change from the revolving door of ugly play the 49ers have had at his position in recent years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/02/refo-49ers-jets-week-4/

I won't lie, I thought turning Boone into a guard was a mistake, as he looked to be developing into a solid backup OT...now that move looks genius. Now if they can just shore up the left tackle spot, this line will be unstoppable.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Crushing Blocking

The 49ers were able to win this game thanks largely to dominating the point of attack in the trenches. They were no doubt assisted by the occasional use of the option threat, but Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Vernon Davis in particular all made some huge blocks and controlled their linemen at the point of attack. Boone (+3.6) looks to be developing into one of the finest guards around, which makes a change from the revolving door of ugly play the 49ers have had at his position in recent years.

I won't lie, I thought turning Boone into a guard was a mistake, as he looked to be developing into a solid backup OT...now that move looks genius. Now if they can just shore up the left tackle spot, this line will be unstoppable.

What's wrong with Staley? I would think the weak link is Goodwin.
Staley's just not solid enough to man the LT spot all by himself when going against the best rushers. It should be the coaches' jobs to make sure he gets a little help on that island when going against the Clay Mathews and Jared Allens of the league. He's a decent pass protector, but far from perfect.

Goodwin's been better this season, but he does show a lazy side... does lack the anchor against powerful DTs... and does lack his own power to move DTs off the ball.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Crushing Blocking

What's wrong with Staley? I would think the weak link is Goodwin.

I think either Kilgore or Looney will eventually take over for Goodwin, who seems to be doing a decent job. Staley has already allowed 4.5 sacks....no other lineman has given up more than 1. I'm not saying we need to get rid of Staley, but he'll have to play better than that if this team has plans on going all the way.
I think either Kilgore or Looney will eventually take over for Goodwin, who seems to be doing a decent job. Staley has already allowed 4.5 sacks....no other lineman has given up more than 1. I'm not saying we need to get rid of Staley, but he'll have to play better than that if this team has plans on going all the way.

Dont want to make too many excuses, but he was facing some of the "elite" passrushers. We'll see. We have him at a great price for a solid starting RT.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
dude misses lots of games every year cuz of his relapses. not that many games in the NFL. this dude relapses and we are stuck with a backup linemen

Theres a huge difference between recovering from a heroine addiction and recovering from alcohol abuse
So Staley is now the weak link on the line ?
Originally posted by susweel:

Who said that?

Who said that?

his play

Who said that?

his play

lulz.
I look at Staley almost the same way I look at Alex Smith. There are only going to be 5-7 "elite" QBs in the league. 32 teams can't all have a top 10 QB. We have a QB that executes a winning game plan very well, and in the last two years has shown at least some potential to put the team on his back (though not enough to rely on him all the time, the way you could an elite QB).

The specialization and quality of pass-rushers has reached the point where there's only going to be a small handful of "elite" LTs that can shut them down, and even those elite guys are going to have some snaps where they get beat. Joe Staley isn't an elite LT; he's not top 10. But he's absolutely fantastic in the run game, and can execute a winning game plan well.

If you're talking about "upgrading" at the LT position, then you're talking about using a top 10 pick, and we'd have to trade up to get that.
[ Edited by sspiker on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM ]