LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

49ers' Alex Boone has risen from the depths of alcohol abuse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
PFF gives Boone the highest rating for week 1 on run blocking and 2nd highest for pass blocking (only behind AD).
Totally inspirational.
Alex has done well...but, I still think he's more valuable as a swing OT. I see Looney as the RG at some point. He's a real mauler...he averaged 10 pancake blocks per game at WF. Takes nothing away from what Alex has accomplished...he's proven you can change bad habits. Good on him.
The coaches knew what they had and developed him. He learned to get his butt down and those long arms and extension allow him to use violent punching to get out into the second level. Not only that, he's pretty athletic for a big dude. Plus he loves the war in the trenches, dude gets off on it. LOL He doing well at OG and can still swing out to LT or RT if needed, God forbid.

Give props to the coaches as we have our five best OL out there now. They are the ones who paid attention.

What a great story.
[ Edited by ninertico on Sep 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Alex has done well...but, I still think he's more valuable as a swing OT. I see Looney as the RG at some point. He's a real mauler...he averaged 10 pancake blocks per game at WF. Takes nothing away from what Alex has accomplished...he's proven you can change bad habits. Good on him.

I also think he has more value to the team as a swing tackle or even playing in the Adam Snyder type role, in that he could fill in for any position in the O-Line (save for center). Right now, it looks like he is the the best man for the job at RG. Perhaps we will be looking at tackle in next years draft.
Another week and no mention of Alex Boone. He's the real deal.
Did Boone give up any sacks or pressures? How about A. Davis? Is the right side of the oline pretty secure?
I was going to post this in marvins thoughts after thread but since ninefan56 asked here is what i have.

Just doing my running sack total...
Week 1: Joe Staley 2.5, A. Davis .5, Miller 1 = 4
Week 2: L. Davis 1, Iupati 1, V. Davis 1 = 3
Week 3: Alex Smith 1, Joe Staley 1, Nobody's Fault 1 = 3
Week 4: Joe Staley 1, Multiple 1 = 2

Total on Season: Staley 4.5, VD 1, LD 1, Iupati 1, Miller 1, A.Smith 1, A.Davis .5, Nobody 1, Multiple 1, Goodwin 0, Boone 0 = 12

The 1st one Staley's guy Thomas beats him and gets to Alex. Alex pumped faked and wanted to go to Crabtree who kind of stumbled across the middle. I guess he gave him 3 seconds. I'm not sure if it's half on Alex to throw it away but Staley didn't exactly lock his guy down. 2nd one I don't know. Pocket collapsed because Staley's guy got by him. Alex got jumpy feet but he didnt have much time to throw the ball. As far as I could see nobody was open but the WR in the middle of the field was out of frame. Staley's guy didn't get the sack as Alex scambled. Boone's guy did but Boone did block him and then he released and then Pace kind of went along the line and got Smith for a loss as he scrambled. I'd say Staley because his guy kind of disrupted the pocket but again his guy didn't finish off alex. Not sure if Alex could have thrown it out of bounds... he tried scrambling instead.

And ninefan... Boone and Davis are very very solid over there. Don't think they have allowed more than a few pressures all year between the two of them. They are very very good in the run game as well. They have become a better tandem than Staley and Iupati in both facets although Staley has faced tougher competition than Davis.

I would say Goodwin has been much better this year. He is decent in the pass game... doesn't really get a lot of push for the run game but I haven't really keyed in on him. Who knows if he will be back making 5 mil next year. Could be a draft pick or Kilgore's turn. Iupati is pretty solid in both areas... Staley is better at pass blocking than run blocking but he has struggled this year. Think he gave up 6 sacks last year and already has 4.5 in my totals but no easy task going against the Jared Allens and the Clay Matthews of the league. We seem to have gotten better at blitz pickup than last year but we still get confused at times on who to pick up when they disguise their blitzers. We also tend to not stick with blocks long enough at times.

And really we are a pretty solid line (being better run than pass blockers) but with our style and play we will take sacks. 1 because we don't always get open, 2 we don't do enough quick throws in my mind, 3 you will get plays where the wrs don't see blitz or arent on the same page and have their backs against the qb when he is getting blitzed 4. alex doesnt throw the ball away at times and likes to some times scamble instead. 5 he plays it safe, a sack isn't the end of the world, a forced throw for int is a bigger deal.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM ]
Thanks Gore 21 I appreciate it.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Another week and no mention of Alex Boone. He's the real deal.

They signed him to a pretty cap friendly deal. I think they should tear it up, extend it for 2 or 3 more years and lock him up. the OL is gellin once Chilo left and Boone has replaced him and snyder.

I think he signed a 4 year 6 million dollar deal. Tear it up and give him 6 year 12 million with 4 million guaranteed. back load it the last two years.

I love our ability to let players walk in the offseason, have the confidence to plug in our own guys, and then seeing them thrive. It happened last year with Bowman, and now its happening with Alex Boone.

Double kudos for his consistency which is allowing Anthony Davis to thrive as well.
Boone, Davis, and Iupati is a whole lot of nasty. It is fun to watch Oline get to the 2nd set of defenders and blow "little" guys up. Staley is doing a good job too, but the those 1st 3 are just mean and really help set the tone for Harbaugh's offense.
Many cudos to ABoone - he's really lighting it up.

A product of hard work and very good coaching,
Crushing Blocking

The 49ers were able to win this game thanks largely to dominating the point of attack in the trenches. They were no doubt assisted by the occasional use of the option threat, but Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Vernon Davis in particular all made some huge blocks and controlled their linemen at the point of attack. Boone (+3.6) looks to be developing into one of the finest guards around, which makes a change from the revolving door of ugly play the 49ers have had at his position in recent years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/02/refo-49ers-jets-week-4/
time to draft a new OT this year
Share 49ersWebzone