There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Tolzein clearly reads and reacts faster than the other QB's. I would dare say he makes quicker decisions about where the ball is going than even ASmith. But he was playing against 3rd's that are running a simpler defense typically. But that fact that he is confident in his decisions is great.
First time to see Tolzein in action since that San Diego preseason game against us. I was impressed with him back then, and even more so last night. Makes you wonder why San Diego let him go.

Alex Smith's the No. 1 guy for now (and that throw for the TD last night was as good as any he's ever thrown).

Of the other three, I'd keep Kaep and Tolzein, and let Johnson walk, just based on their potential. Johnson's been in the league for 5 years now, and is likely as good as he's gonna get. He's not bad, probably a little better than the other two right now, but they appear to have greater potential.

If it comes down to Kaep vs. Tolzein, I'd have to go with Tolzein. He just looked like he had a much better command of the offense, and a much better ability to read the defense and find the open man.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Nate Davis sure got a lot love around here for a couple of seasons.

Exactly, it's a style thing, not a skin color thing.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
First time to see Tolzein in action since that San Diego preseason game against us. I was impressed with him back then, and even more so last night. Makes you wonder why San Diego let him go.

Alex Smith's the No. 1 guy for now (and that throw for the TD last night was as good as any he's ever thrown).

Of the other three, I'd keep Kaep and Tolzein, and let Johnson walk, just based on their potential. Johnson's been in the league for 5 years now, and is likely as good as he's gonna get. He's not bad, probably a little better than the other two right now, but they appear to have greater potential.

If it comes down to Kaep vs. Tolzein, I'd have to go with Tolzein. He just looked like he had a much better command of the offense, and a much better ability to read the defense and find the open man.
Much like kaep, I'll be interested to see how Tolzien does when they aren't playing within his comfort zone (the short, quick, timing pass game).
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lets not get carried away this is the same crap we went through nate davis

he was great and clearly is the 2nd best qb but we have to keep in mind he played the 3rd team defense of an already weak secondary ( one of the worst secondaries in nfl as their best CB didnt play)
Some wisdom here. Hey, Nate Davis fanboys? Where is Nate Davis now? Oh right, some Arena leagues...

Not saying Tolzien is like that, I am just still angry about all the stupid Nate Davis fanboys who would not shut up about their mancrush. Guess what, Nate Davis fanboys, your terrible mancrush was passed over by 32 professional NFL talent evaluating staffs. Guess what, Nate Davis fanboys, your mancrush with a learning disability never cut it in the NFL.

No offense to Davis - he is by all accounts a great athlete and a good college quarterback. Just not NFL caliber talent, despite the earnest wishing and dreaming of stupid fanboys. I am not angry at Davis, only his fanboys.

It's pretty clear where we are going with this. Fanboy opinions about quarterbacks, players in general but quarterbacks in particular, don't mean anything. Not a thing. Let's not act like She-hawks fanbase, second guessing our own staff. Our staff will pick the best QBs on staff. The Turdgulls led by Pete "Christmas" Carroll will never have a decent QB, because Pete "Loser" Carroll will always undercut his own players in the media to make himself look good and keep his job. Pete "The Talentless Hack" knows his job is on the line, after what Harbaugh & Co. did to his sorry program last year.

The She-hawks don't have any clear quarterback, so their she-fans constantly whine and complain to each other about who the best quarterback for their turdgull team might be. The She-hawk fans are delusional, because they think they are the "twelfth man." They feel like they are part of the team. Because they are part of the team, every She-hawk fan on the planet has an opinion on who their QB should be. Some of them even are arguing for Nate Davis of the Arena League!

Let's not be She-hawk fans. No QB controversy in San Fran.
Tolzein looked good last night.

He came out of a legit BCS program with success.

Wonder why no NFL team drafted him.

Wonder why Chargers waived him.

Just wondering...

Looking for answers.
All I know is the game was sic. I got to go to the stick and it was packed. On the last drive they started playing the song by champ baily..who's got it better....and the place. Was rocken. Its awsome to be a niner fan. Headed to the bowl one week at a time... go niners
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Prospector:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lets not get carried away this is the same crap we went through nate davis

he was great and clearly is the 2nd best qb but we have to keep in mind he played the 3rd team defense of an already weak secondary ( one of the worst secondaries in nfl as their best CB didnt play)
Some wisdom here. Hey, Nate Davis fanboys? Where is Nate Davis now? Oh right, some Arena leagues...

Not saying Tolzien is like that, I am just still angry about all the stupid Nate Davis fanboys who would not shut up about their mancrush. Guess what, Nate Davis fanboys, your terrible mancrush was passed over by 32 professional NFL talent evaluating staffs. Guess what, Nate Davis fanboys, your mancrush with a learning disability never cut it in the NFL.

No offense to Davis - he is by all accounts a great athlete and a good college quarterback. Just not NFL caliber talent, despite the earnest wishing and dreaming of stupid fanboys. I am not angry at Davis, only his fanboys.

It's pretty clear where we are going with this. Fanboy opinions about quarterbacks, players in general but quarterbacks in particular, don't mean anything. Not a thing. Let's not act like She-hawks fanbase, second guessing our own staff. Our staff will pick the best QBs on staff. The Turdgulls led by Pete "Christmas" Carroll will never have a decent QB, because Pete "Loser" Carroll will always undercut his own players in the media to make himself look good and keep his job. Pete "The Talentless Hack" knows his job is on the line, after what Harbaugh & Co. did to his sorry program last year.

The She-hawks don't have any clear quarterback, so their she-fans constantly whine and complain to each other about who the best quarterback for their turdgull team might be. The She-hawk fans are delusional, because they think they are the "twelfth man." They feel like they are part of the team. Because they are part of the team, every She-hawk fan on the planet has an opinion on who their QB should be. Some of them even are arguing for Nate Davis of the Arena League!

Let's not be She-hawk fans. No QB controversy in San Fran.

Just a little veteran advice... Cool it on the name calling, I think your point is valid but it's presentation is elementary
I watched Tolzien start for two years at Wisconsin, he was a better thrower than most they've had at that school (Russell Wilson not withstanding) but he never wowed me with his ability and I wasn't really surprised that he went undrafted. Unless he has added some things to his game, I just don't see him ever taking a starting roll for any period of time. I say this and honestly, I would thrill me to see a UW quarterback achieve something more than holding a clipboard a la Jim Sorgi or Brooks Bollinger.

I watched Tolzien last night and saw about what I expected, he may beat Johnson out of a spot, but that rests in Harbaugh's hands.
Tolzien was far and away the best of the backups last night.

I personally hope Both the two young kids stay on the roster, its what i had hoped for all offseason. I think JJ should be cut and the other two kept on the active. I dont really see them as one and two right now. They both offer differant attributes, and its still to soon to make a decision on either one. I liked alot of what i saw from both QB's.

Alex is the Guy for the foreseeable future he is simply far and away the best QB on the roster right now. Especially when we are poised to make a run. Tolzien and Kaep should be the "Backups" and stay on the roster and JJ should walk. One of them will eventually take over and the other can be trade bait, Or keep em both with one taking over after Alex and the other as the career backup.If i had to start one of them right now i would start Tolzien, But that doesnt mean Kaep can not, or will not, be the better QB in the long run.

Keep them both and develop them for a year or two more. Its only their second year in the league. At the QB position in the NFL thats not alot of time.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I watched Tolzien start for two years at Wisconsin, he was a better thrower than most they've had at that school (Russell Wilson not withstanding) but he never wowed me with his ability and I wasn't really surprised that he went undrafted. Unless he has added some things to his game, I just don't see him ever taking a starting roll for any period of time. I say this and honestly, I would thrill me to see a UW quarterback achieve something more than holding a clipboard a la Jim Sorgi or Brooks Bollinger.

I watched Tolzien last night and saw about what I expected, he may beat Johnson out of a spot, but that rests in Harbaugh's hands.
hmmm this is very interesting.

What are specific things you think he couldve improved on when he left college?
Tolzien is very Shaun Hill-esque....with a slightly better arm. I think if Alex goes down, I would be more comfortable with Tolzien playing the "dont turn the ball over, dont take many chances, let the D win the game" type offense (that Alex ran last year) than Kaepernick.

But with that said, I think Kaep has the most long term potential on the team....he just doesnt appear ready. While Kaep could develop into something special, Tolzien appears to be what he is....a solid backup NFL quarterback.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Aug 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM ]
I'm not racist. Maybe i went too far but let me be more clear. We either adapt to our deficiencies and win or force the exploitation of it which is the O line. We don't have an O line built for the drop back technique. If you have a great line you can shred defenses with the passing game because offensively with the proper coaching system you can turn average receivers into pro bowlers hence Brady, Brees, Warner , Eli , Payton ,Rivers, Hasselbeck, big Ben. It took Vick and mcnabb time to get used to the pocket because their line was weak so they moved a lot ran a lot redskins went and got RG3 to adapt. Linemen are faster, stronger and freakish athletes so we need to adjust to that. We are two good o linemen away from seeing kaepernick and Tolzien and even Alex smith rip defenses apart in the pocket. For now I say kaepernick is best choice for this system. My opinion.
Originally posted by kush:
hmmm this is very interesting.

What are specific things you think he couldve improved on when he left college?

That's just it, I didn't see much room for improvement. He was a wickedly efficient thrower under 15 yards, I think he completed over 70% his last year there or something, but was limited in his deep throwing ability just due to a lack of arm strength.

It doesn't really surprise me that he looks more polished than these other two guys. His game was always efficiency and execution, but when things would breakdown so would he and I just think you need more from your QB in terms of ability to win a game for you. He's a poor-man's Alex Smith but not as good at running.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
That's just it, I didn't see much room for improvement. He was a wickedly efficient thrower under 15 yards, I think he completed over 70% his last year there or something, but was limited in his deep throwing ability just due to a lack of arm strength.

It doesn't really surprise me that he looks more polished than these other two guys. His game was always efficiency and execution, but when things would breakdown so would he and I just think you need more from your QB in terms of ability to win a game for you. He's a poor-man's Alex Smith but not as good at running.
Awesome, thanks for the input

He's clearly very polished and looked excellent given what he was asked to do yesterday.