There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Originally posted by Ballistic:

Originally posted by Ballistic:
You're right. We do. And his name is KAEPERNICK. Kap=10pts, Tolzein=0pts.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
We are running a west coast offense, not a run and shoot pistol crap. If we run that offense smoothly there will be no need for that trickery stuff like last year.

Is Roman running the Pistol? He called an option that went for 78 and TD ... I don't see the bad in that. And have you even seen the Pistol to recognize it?

WCO is a passing scheme we are a running team now. Under Alex tonight, we ran 3 times as much as we pass today. This is not Walsh/Montana WCO.

Yeah because Harbaugh wants his QB to have 1000+ yard rushing seasons. Gimme a break.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by teylo31:
i wasnt watching. i only got to follow on espn gamecast. doesnt that say something about his pocket presence. again im not for kap or tolz at #2 so im not trying to ague with anyone about either but it would really suck if we blew a pick on kap so high. i like a more natural pocket qb like tolz but i just want numerous superbowls in the end of it all so i can tell all my buddies to suck it.

Being from Wisconsin frustratingly watched for years following game centers (before streams and game rewind came along) and it does a great job... I still check them for stats and stuff during and after games but let me tell you following on that never put me in a good position to form educated options on players. You get the jist of it but you miss so much. If you need a stream to watch it online it isn't the best but go here:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/104660-guide-watching-niner-games-internet/page237/

This way you can watch at least. Check the 1st post on that page. I spent probably 7 years following on game centers because that's all we had minus the occasional game on tv and I just encourage anyone that uses that form only to find a way to watch the game. With today's internet no reason not to if you want to.

P.S. the game is being replayed on NFLN (link to stream that channel on that 1st link) if you want to watch it again. It starts at 1 CT so 11 PT (23 minutes).

thanks. im good i just didnt feel like leaving work to catch it.
Originally posted by boast:
because points really matter in the preseason. cmon now.

Points, yards don't matter? What do they use to evaluate? Maybe just go on QB rating?

If a team with a controversy has a QB that scores for his team way more than another QB ... that doesn't really matter?
I thinks wins don't matter in preseason but........
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by boast:
because points really matter in the preseason. cmon now.

Points, yards don't matter? What do they use to evaluate? Maybe just go on QB rating?

If a team with a controversy has a QB that scores for his team way more than another QB ... that doesn't really matter?

Maybe not rating, but comp %? Definitely.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If you just completely ignore the fact of where we picked Kaep and go just on performance last year and this year I think this is the real order.

If the performance of the QBs remain the same in the next few games, the coaches will have no choice but doing exactly that. CK might be the future, but winning must be the overriding goal.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 74,789
NFL.com hates Alex Smith

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Alex Smith - 14 - 4, NFC Championship game, low interceptions, definitely improved, worked on his mechanics, doesn't straighten out that knee so much anymore.


2) Scott Tolzien - clearly above and beyond any QB on our roster for pocket presense, awarness, accuracy. Practice squad? Please! Who are we kidding. No question he is the 2nd best QB on this team right now and I don't think it's close.


3) Colin Kaepernick - incredible, explosive, long run. Looks good outside the pocket. Clearly lacks timing, accuracy, decision making from within the pocket. Inside the pocket looks like he will struggle. He seems Tebow - esque. Great running and throwing outside the pocket running around. But confused and inaccurate inside the pocket. Not what you want. Looks exactly like the pistol offense guy he was at Nevade. Does he have huge upside? Yes. Is he ready now to be a pocket NFL QB? Hell no!


4) Josh Johnson - Harbaughs one time pupil at UC - San Diego Torreros. At one time I thought Tolzien would be the odd man out. But I think it's him. There is talent, athleticism, and a pretty good arm there. And a history with Harbaugh. But why would you expose Tolzien who is CLEARLY better IMO? Keep him just because you have a history? I think you have to separate yourself from that. Look Alex makes it by default. Kaep didn't get picked that high to give up on. So he makes it too obviously. It comes down to 2 for 1 position. And I think Tolzien is clearly more accurate, more poised and greater command of things out there. Plus we already have 1 running QB. Why do we need 2? We need a pocket guy. And that's Tolzien.
100%
Originally posted by OldJoe:
All the QBs looked pretty solid, we are going to have a good problem and have to cut a good one. Tolzien and the Practice Squad at this point, is moot.

But had we been down 0-6 and CK comes in the 4th Qtr we win. If Tolzien comes in the 4th Quarter we lose looking good.

I want to see Tolzien to go against the second-team defense or better before I completely buy in, but I don't know if CK can pull a win against a first-team defense. Options offense can only go so far.
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,649
Lol its a knee jerk fest in here today.

Let's not get carried away and anoint Tolzien as the best passer on our team quite yet. After all a week ago you all thought he'd be on the practice squad. That being said he threw some nice balls out there. Heck of a game for him.
And we are playing the game of "who currently is playing the best".

Kap is #2 until he passes up Alex Smith or Harbaugh gives up on him. No team wants to look stupid by admitting they made a bad move in the draft. We didn't just give up a 2nd rounder, we gave up a 2nd and a 4th rounder. Unless they are certain a player will not pan out, that player has a huge (unfair?) edge on the depth chart.

So Tolzien might be the 2nd best, but he won't see the field much until he out plays all the QBs on this team (just my prediction).
Originally posted by kush:
Lol its a knee jerk fest in here today.

Knee jerk?? D*amn, I think I got it wrong.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Alex Smith - 14 - 4, NFC Championship game, low interceptions, definitely improved, worked on his mechanics, doesn't straighten out that knee so much anymore.


2) Scott Tolzien - clearly above and beyond any QB on our roster for pocket presense, awarness, accuracy. Practice squad? Please! Who are we kidding. No question he is the 2nd best QB on this team right now and I don't think it's close.


3) Colin Kaepernick - incredible, explosive, long run. Looks good outside the pocket. Clearly lacks timing, accuracy, decision making from within the pocket. Inside the pocket looks like he will struggle. He seems Tebow - esque. Great running and throwing outside the pocket running around. But confused and inaccurate inside the pocket. Not what you want. Looks exactly like the pistol offense guy he was at Nevade. Does he have huge upside? Yes. Is he ready now to be a pocket NFL QB? Hell no!


4) Josh Johnson - Harbaughs one time pupil at UC - San Diego Torreros. At one time I thought Tolzien would be the odd man out. But I think it's him. There is talent, athleticism, and a pretty good arm there. And a history with Harbaugh. But why would you expose Tolzien who is CLEARLY better IMO? Keep him just because you have a history? I think you have to separate yourself from that. Look Alex makes it by default. Kaep didn't get picked that high to give up on. So he makes it too obviously. It comes down to 2 for 1 position. And I think Tolzien is clearly more accurate, more poised and greater command of things out there. Plus we already have 1 running QB. Why do we need 2? We need a pocket guy. And that's Tolzien.

University of San diego Toreros are a Private university (like USC) and has no affiliation with the UC system. UC San diego and San Diego State University are both completely seperate universities from the University of San Diego that Harbaugh once coached at.


This has been a post that no one really cares about

Carry on
[ Edited by 1swift on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM ]
Originally posted by teylo31:
thanks. im good i just didnt feel like leaving work to catch it.

Oh, didn't know you were at work.