There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he can have a future. He's really underestimated still. He's nothing but super accurate, great decision maker and reads the field fast and well every time you see him. And great command of the huddle and guys too. I'm not sure what you want? But this guy is real IMO.

like i said previouslly its easy to look real when you play 3rd team offesne against a bad secondary when teams dont gameplan for you

kolb had 2 300 yard games first time he played

troy smith had a 400 game 2 years ago

we said the same exact thing about shaun hill

when teams gameplan against you its a complete different game that included to not playing against 3rd team D

all im saying is he is definitally capable of coming in once in a while when we need him but being a full time starter is completely different

and to say it again, what Tolzien showed tonight had nothing to do with the competition when comparing him to the other QBs on the roster.

sound mechanics, quick delivery and quick decision making are the hallmarks of a WCO QB.

Agreed.
i am not doubting his play or saying he is not the 2nd best qb on this roster

all i was saying is that before we can say he is a starter we definitally need to see more of him for the above reasons

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I think he can have a future. He's really underestimated still. He's nothing but super accurate, great decision maker and reads the field fast and well every time you see him. And great command of the huddle and guys too. I'm not sure what you want? But this guy is real IMO.

like i said previouslly its easy to look real when you play 3rd team offesne against a bad secondary when teams dont gameplan for you

when teams gameplan against you its a complete different game that included to not playing against 3rd team D

all im saying is he is definitally capable of coming in once in a while when we need him but being a full time starter is completely different

and to say it again, what Tolzien showed tonight had nothing to do with the competition when comparing him to the other QBs on the roster.

sound mechanics, quick delivery and quick decision making are the hallmarks of a WCO QB.

Agreed.

bump
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Tolzien can look, think, and find-- while dropping back in the pocket. Right now I'm not seeing it in Kaep.

racist

...against GOD
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM ]

all i was saying is that before we can say he is a starter we definitally need to see more of him for the above reasons

Agreed.

bump

i wouldn't name him starter yet. i have a love affair with Alex's "clutchness".

but Tolzien can only get better and i do believe he is the future.
AS, ST, CK, JJ

Tolzein was by far the most impressive QB tonight. Dude just takes command of the offense. Unlike any of our other QB's. Not to mention his timing and ball placement.
Scott Tolzien looked polished, and he played against #2s/#3s tonight (instead of just #3s last year in which she shined for the Chargers, specially against us), the next two weeks Kaep won't be pulling any of those "Tecmo Bowl" runs (he'll continue to struggle in the pocket), and Scott will capitalize.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Tolzien can look, think, and find-- while dropping back in the pocket. Right now I'm not seeing it in Kaep.

racist

...against GOD

Agreed.

bump

i wouldn't name him starter yet. i have a love affair with Alex's "clutchness".

but Tolzien can only get better and i do believe he is the future.

Straight up man. It's not a joke anymore. I think this kid can play. I used to joke about him like everybody else. But 2 seasons in a row now. He just keeps doing it. BTW I have a lot of relatives in Wisconsin. And I went to some of his Badger games in person. He was always nothing but accurate there too. I think it's just who he is. Great in the pocket and accurate.
All the QBs looked pretty solid, we are going to have a good problem and have to cut a good one. Tolzien and the Practice Squad at this point, is moot.

But had we been down 0-6 and CK comes in the 4th Qtr we win. If Tolzien comes in the 4th Quarter we lose looking good.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
All the QBs looked pretty solid, we are going to have a good problem and have to cut a good one. Tolzien and the Practice Squad at this point, is moot.

But had we been down 0-6 and CK comes in the 4th Qtr we win. If Tolzien comes in the 4th Quarter we lose looking good.

?

based on what, exactly?

gotta disagree with this

Because of 1 long run?
Originally posted by rubbersoul80:
Pretty clear to me that Tolzien is the best pure QB on the roster. Does he have the best physical tools? No. But the guy definitely possess the most natural QB attributes out of the 4 guys. Bill Walsh would've liked him despite his lack of mobility IMO.

Montana never had the strongest arm either. What you need is quick reading of the field, quick decision making, great mechanics, and an accurate throw. That's what Tolzien always gives you. He's just a natural and comfortable in the pocket. None of our other guys are. You don't have to teach him. He's a natural.

He does have that natural ability (between the ear holes). Kaep has the natural ability (from head to the toe) (physical).

What needs to be mentioned is that Alex actually has a nice blend of the physical and the mental. At the combine, he was a good athlete. The run in the Saints game, the bootleg against the Seahawks (wreck shop). Alex is no statue.

Not the rocket arm of Rodgers but the cerebral guy. Finished college in 3 years. Hi IQ.

Alex has been through the CRUCIBLE. His first year (1 TD, 15 INTS), 2nd year (16/16 under Norv), the Nowin / Sing Years (Rocky Bernard / David Carr / JTO / Sing yelling on the sidelines).

Alex tied Joe's 4th QB comeback win total last year. Do we forget the Giants win on the road. The PHI win. The Det win.

In 2006, Alex was the first ever 49er QB to take every snap from scrimmage.

The Saints game alone (Alex already has more Playoff wins than "TONY ROMO") tells me this kid deserves our respect

I like Tolzien and Kaep. Tolzien is smoove like silk. Kaep still needs a lot of work, as did Steve Young.

Our QB depth chart will be the same as last year
Long way to go but as of now if I was the coach I would have Tolzien 3, Johnson cut. Not because he doesn't have potential but with the way our team is set up we can't afford 4 qbs. Then again I wonder why we signed him to a 2 year deal and not a 1 year deal. Hopefully that doesn't play into the decision. No doubt whoever gets cut (assuming we keep 3) should get picked up and make another team's 53. P.S. And being from Wisconsin and a Badger fan having watched him at Wisc even I am not going to get carried away and say he should be the #2 like some. Although, I would say one of these games Tolzien should get to play against 1st or 2nd stringers. Kaepernick should get much more time against 1s and 2s as well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM ]
Tolzien >>>> Kap

yup.

That's a fair result considering you're bias towards CK.