There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Originally posted by cashmahne:
Right now Tolzien should be #2... Kaep will be a better player once he devolps though.


I'm not sure about him ever being better. I think Tolzien is better. He just naturally understands the pocket, timing, decision making and he is almost always accurate. Those type of QB's don't need "development." They are ready right away. And he's underestimated IMO. I think Tolzien can be good right now and in the future.

In no way should this guy be anything less than #2 right now. Exposing him to the practice squad would be crazy. To keep Josh Johnson? LOL. That would be utterly rediculous!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think this guy can convert 3rd and 7 and 3rd and 10 from the pocket. And we don't have anybody else like that right now.

lets not get carried away this is the same crap we went through nate davis

he was great and clearly is the 2nd best qb but we have to keep in mind he played the 3rd team defense of an already weak secondary ( one of the worst secondaries in nfl as their best CB didnt play)


Don't insult Tolzien by comparing him to Nate Davis....
  • 49ers
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,494
1. Alex
2. Scott
3. Josh
4. Colin
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm not sure about him ever being better. I think Tolzien is better. He just naturally understands the pocket, timing, decision making and he is almost always accurate. Those type of QB's don't need "development." They are ready right away. And he's underestimated IMO. I think Tolzien can be good right now and in the future.

In no way should this guy be anything less than #2 right now. Exposing him to the practice squad would be crazy. To keep Josh Johnson? LOL. That would be utterly rediculous!

agreed but i dont see tolzein as the future or anything he is just a solid and great insurance policy and a solid backup like volvek
Tolzien can look, think, and find-- while dropping back in the pocket. Right now I'm not seeing it in Kaep.
Originally posted by 49ers:
1. Alex
2. Scott
3. Josh
4. Colin


Well Colin is not going to get cut because of where they drafted him. I think Josh goes. Colin stays but is #3.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Tolzien can look, think, and find-- while dropping back in the pocket. Right now I'm not seeing it in Kaep.


I agree. He's a natural....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think this guy can convert 3rd and 7 and 3rd and 10 from the pocket. And we don't have anybody else like that right now.

lets not get carried away this is the same crap we went through nate davis

he was great and clearly is the 2nd best qb but we have to keep in mind he played the 3rd team defense of an already weak secondary ( one of the worst secondaries in nfl as their best CB didnt play)


Don't insult Tolzien by comparing him to Nate Davis....

lol i clearly think hes better but by proclaiming he is the best in this and that you force me to

he did face the 3rd team D in which last year had the worst secondary in nfl

imo he is the 2nd best qb who has great pocket presence and accuracy but the best on the team still goes to alex till he plays a better defense than that


i do think he will be a solid player in nfl and worst case scenario a solid long term backup for the team ( i need to see more of him to say he will be nfl starter)
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm not sure about him ever being better. I think Tolzien is better. He just naturally understands the pocket, timing, decision making and he is almost always accurate. Those type of QB's don't need "development." They are ready right away. And he's underestimated IMO. I think Tolzien can be good right now and in the future.

In no way should this guy be anything less than #2 right now. Exposing him to the practice squad would be crazy. To keep Josh Johnson? LOL. That would be utterly rediculous!

agreed but i dont see tolzein as the future or anything he is just a solid and great insurance policy and a solid backup like volvek


I think he can have a future. He's really underestimated still. He's nothing but super accurate, great decision maker and reads the field fast and well every time you see him. And great command of the huddle and guys too. I'm not sure what you want? But this guy is real IMO.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM ]
Pretty clear to me that Tolzien is the best pure QB on the roster. Does he have the best physical tools? No. But the guy definitely possess the most natural QB attributes out of the 4 guys. Bill Walsh would've liked him despite his lack of mobility IMO.
Originally posted by rubbersoul80:
Pretty clear to me that Tolzien is the best pure QB on the roster. Does he have the best physical tools? No. But the guy definitely possess the most natural QB attributes out of the 4 guys. Bill Walsh would've liked him despite his lack of mobility IMO.

Montana never had the strongest arm either. What you need is quick reading of the field, quick decision making, great mechanics, and an accurate throw. That's what Tolzien always gives you. He's just a natural and comfortable in the pocket. None of our other guys are. You don't have to teach him. He's a natural.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he can have a future. He's really underestimated still. He's nothing but super accurate, great decision maker and reads the field fast and well every time you see him. And great command of the huddle and guys too. I'm not sure what you want? But this guy is real IMO.

like i said previouslly its easy to look real when you play 3rd team offesne against a bad secondary when teams dont gameplan for you


kolb had 2 300 yard games first time he played

troy smith had a 400 game 2 years ago

we said the same exact thing about shaun hill

when teams gameplan against you its a complete different game that included to not playing against 3rd team D


all im saying is he is definitally capable of coming in once in a while when we need him but being a full time starter is completely different
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he can have a future. He's really underestimated still. He's nothing but super accurate, great decision maker and reads the field fast and well every time you see him. And great command of the huddle and guys too. I'm not sure what you want? But this guy is real IMO.


Originally posted by rubbersoul80:
Pretty clear to me that Tolzien is the best pure QB on the roster. Does he have the best physical tools? No. But the guy definitely possess the most natural QB attributes out of the 4 guys. Bill Walsh would've liked him despite his lack of mobility IMO.

Lack mobility and the zippy throw. Otherwise he would be competing for a starter position. Seems he can be a very good backup to me.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he can have a future. He's really underestimated still. He's nothing but super accurate, great decision maker and reads the field fast and well every time you see him. And great command of the huddle and guys too. I'm not sure what you want? But this guy is real IMO.

like i said previouslly its easy to look real when you play 3rd team offesne against a bad secondary when teams dont gameplan for you


kolb had 2 300 yard games first time he played

troy smith had a 400 game 2 years ago

we said the same exact thing about shaun hill

when teams gameplan against you its a complete different game that included to not playing against 3rd team D


all im saying is he is definitally capable of coming in once in a while when we need him but being a full time starter is completely different

and to say it again, what Tolzien showed tonight had nothing to do with the competition when comparing him to the other QBs on the roster.

sound mechanics, quick delivery and quick decision making are the hallmarks of a WCO QB.
Originally posted by boast:
and to say it again, what Tolzien showed tonight had nothing to do with the competition when comparing him to the other QBs on the roster.

sound mechanics, quick delivery and quick decision making are the hallmarks of a WCO QB.

i am not doubting his play or saying he is not the 2nd best qb on this roster

all i was saying is that before we can say he is a starter we definitally need to see more of him for the above reasons