LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Is the 2012 schedule really as hard as people are making it seem?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Marino had 255 per game and Montana had 247 yards per game. Montana was just a better QB.

Not sure where you got your Montana's numbers from.

By the way, 7/10 of the top passing yardage teams made the playoffs, including the top 5 passing teams. The exceptions were Shaub (injury), Tebow (sucks), Smith (ya know), Dalton (rookie), Flacco (#12).

I did it from memory I just checked its actually 211 per game

It's 247 if u take his total yards over only game started if u take total yards over mes played its 211
I think it's pointless to say we have a strong/weak schedule in the middle of the offseason. You never know who's going to be a surprise team, and you never know who's going to underachieve.
Defenses usually click faster than offenses in the NFL season.

GB is an established offense but they might be out of sync if our defense comes out like gang busters
There's no way we're losing at home this year so that's an automatic 8 wins and I see us going 5-3 on the road. 13-3 #1 seed and 1st round bye.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Marino had 255 per game and Montana had 247 yards per game. Montana was just a better QB.

Not sure where you got your Montana's numbers from.

By the way, 7/10 of the top passing yardage teams made the playoffs, including the top 5 passing teams. The exceptions were Shaub (injury), Tebow (sucks), Smith (ya know), Dalton (rookie), Flacco (#12).

I did it from memory I just checked its actually 211 per game

It's 247 if u take his total yards over only game started if u take total yards over mes played its 211

lol why would you use his games played over games started? Oh wait...

Of course the number goes down if you use games. You add in games where he doesn't complete a game. He misses out on chances to get many yards if he doesn't finish...That's why the difference is so great. Games started is more accurate.

Am i missing something?

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
This doesn't really apply to the 'Zone here, but recently I've seen a bunch of analysts and talking heads comment on the 49ers "brutal" schedule (Steve Wyche just recently mentioned this in his article about how Smith went "overboard" calling Cam out).

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the schedule to be "brutal". I'd say it's a bit more challenging than last year but not by a whole lot. You also have to take into consideration that the 2012 49ers appear to be a better team than the 2011 squad.

I'm not going to sit here and break down every game because people have done that to death. Just wanted to gauge general reaction to the schedule. I, personally, am not too concerned about it.

For the first time in a while, teams should be scared of playing the 49ers, not the other way around.

Sunday, 9 San Francisco at Green Bay (4:15 PM) 49ers at Packers Tickets

Sunday, 16 Detroit at San Francisco (8:20 PM) Lions at 49ers Tickets

Sunday, 23 San Francisco at Minnesota (1:00 PM) 49ers at Vikings Tickets

Sunday, 30 San Francisco at N.Y. Jets (1:00 PM) 49ers at Jets Tickets

October Sunday, 7 Buffalo at San Francisco (4:25 PM) Bills at 49ers Tickets

Sunday, 14 N.Y. Giants at San Francisco (4:25 PM) Giants at 49ers Tickets

Thursday, 18 Seattle at San Francisco (8:20 PM) Seahawks at 49ers Tickets

Monday, 29 San Francisco at Arizona (8:30 PM) 49ers at Cardinals Tickets

November Sunday, 11 St. Louis at San Francisco (4:25 PM) Rams at 49ers Tickets

Monday, 19 Chicago at San Francisco (8:30 PM) Bears at 49ers Tickets

Sunday, 25 San Francisco at New Orleans (4:25 PM) 49ers at Saints Tickets

December Sunday, 2 San Francisco at St. Louis (1:00 PM) 49ers at Rams Tickets

Sunday, 9 Miami at San Francisco (4:05 PM) Dolphins at 49ers Tickets

Sunday, 16 San Francisco at New England (8:20 PM) 49ers at Patriots Tickets

Sunday, 23 San Francisco at Seattle (4:15 PM) 49ers at Seahawks Tickets

Sunday, 30 Arizona at San Francisco (4:25 PM) Cardinals at 49ers Tickets

All of these games will be hard fought.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
it's never easy
Week 1- @ Packers- This is a true test, on the road against a team that will be playing their hearts out in front of their home crowd. Still think Harbaugh and the boys pull out a victory, with our Pain Train Defense giving Rodgers hell all day long. Win

Week 2- Lions- I will be at this game This one is a win for obvious reasons. The Lions passing game will gain their yards, but our defense will shut down that run game, making them one-dimensional as we bring the Pain on Stafford. Our offense should put up a show in front of the home crowd on PrimeTime football. I predict that Moss makes his mark this game. Win

Week 3- @Vikings- Christian Ponder...and umm, Adrian Peterson say hello to Patrick Willis once again. Win

Week 4- @ Jets- This one will be a toughie. The Jets defense is still strong and not being able to pass on Revis and co as well will be tough on the run game. Regardless, I don't see Sanchez doing much against us, and I pray to God they put in Tebow. Lmao. Win

Week 5- Bills- We jump out to an early lead, but Mario Williams takes the game over at one point while Fitzpatrick and co manage to make it a ball game. Gore and Hunter close out the game for a victory. Win

Week 6- Giants- Yes. This is the game all 49er fans will have marked on their calendars. No way these f**kers come into our offense and beat us after what happened in January. f**k these guys; our boys will be motivated and Harbaugh will put together a gameplan that will allow us to beat the Giants by more than 2 scores. Calling it. Win

Week 7- Seahawks- Thursday Night Football. Should be fun to see these two teams at it again on national television. We haven't played the Hawks or Rams much on primetime in recent years since all of those games are against Arizona. Will be a close game but I predict another Win

Week 8- @ Cardinals- Trap game. Monday Night Football. We will be 7-0 at this point and Arizona always plays us tough at their house. They beat us last year and I think that with Fitzgerald and Floyd they will burn us deep a few times for big scores but for the most part we will hold down their offense. Predicting that these scores pull them over the top as their defense, pumped up by the crowd, will keep our offense in check. Loss

Week 9- Rams- Not gonna even talk about this one. Win

Week 10- Bears- MNF. Will be a great game I assume. Should be hyped up enough as the Bears are a new and improved team. Great run game, Cutler to Marshall, accompanied by a solid defense, will make it a tough one. We just don't lose at home though. Win

Week 11- @ Saints- Wow. Will this one be a HUGE game or what? Those Saints players will not only want revenge for losing to us in the playoffs, but also for getting busted out on the bounty gate by their video tape on us. Their crowd will be electric, I think Smith, VD and Moss and co make it interesting, but I just don't see us winning this one at the Super Dome. Loss

Week 12- @ Rams- Win

Week 13- Dolphins- Ryan Tannahell will not have played a defense as brutal or lethal as ours up till this game. Watch him get smacked around by our D while our O gashes them for big runs and time consuming pass game. Win

Week 14- @ Patriots. Sunday Night at Foxborough. Tom Brady versus the Pain Train. I expect Brady to be harrassed all game long, but winning there late in the season will be difficult. A true test but I think Belichik> Harbaugh by a slight hair at this point. Loss

Week 15- @ Seahawks- Should be another tough one at Seattle. Those guys will once again be juiced to play us with their lame ass coach leading them. Their defense is strong, but not as strong as ours. Win

Week 16- Cardinals- We won't get swept by any NFC West team. Win.

So there it is. My prediction for the 2012 season. 13-3 once again.

lol why would you use his games played over games started? Oh wait...

Of course the number goes down if you use games. You add in games where he doesn't complete a game. He misses out on chances to get many yards if he doesn't finish...That's why the difference is so great. Games started is more accurate.

Am i missing something?

no i jjust instinctively did total yards over games

but then again it isnt reallly fair to use total yards over games started because thats giving him extra yards (almost 30 games worth of maybe 100 yards each game)

so i think my initial 230 yards a game may actually be spot on

anyway the point is the more importnt passing statistic is YPA not total passing yards thats what alex tried to say
Games against GB, Det, NE, Chi, and NYG will be the toughest games. While all games can be tough, I expect the 9ers to win most of these more difficult games, while only losing a couple surprises. I do not see Det or Chi as complete teams and GB is suspect as well. With the 9ers D it just depends on how quickly the offense can come together and become solid.

Unfortunately, the same questions we had last year still exist--how will the OLine come together and will the WRs be better? Smith has answered my questions about playing big in big games so we know he can elevate his game.

I like the fact that four of the five tough games are in the first ten. Only NE is a late season test. And before folks jump on me, I realize there are a number of up-and-coming teams but until they prove themselves I don't put them in the tough category. Also know that the west teams will play hard...just don't think they meet the standard of "tough."

I always resist the urge to make predictions if I can. Every year the schedule looks tough before the season starts, then some teams end up a lot better...some a lot worse and if you have a good year everybody talks about how easy your schedule was. Of course you think it was easy...we went 13 and 3 ! Strength of schedule is a BS stat losing teams trot out to explain away a bad year in the past or to lay claim to the dubious title of off season champion. Its all rose colored glasses and lawns that are greener on the other side of the fence.

We will know how good these teams are when people play them...until then the schedule is just as tough as last year...we will play some great teams and some crappy ones...we will play on the east coast at bad times and get a few wins at home that we might not of away. If our team is as good or better than last year, and I think it is better we will have a great record, go to the playoffs and play the hand we are dealt. Long story short...its about how good we are...screw how good they are.
The away games seem pretty tough to me. Put it this way the schedule makers really didn't do us any favors we play some tough teams that's for sure
8 of those games can be losses (I didnt include buffalo as one of the 9).. Those are all games that should be tough.. and then you have to worry about the possible upset of a St.Louis game/Arizona Game/Buffalo game/Miami game.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
8 of those games can be losses (I didnt include buffalo as one of the 9).. Those are all games that should be tough.. and then you have to worry about the possible upset of a St.Louis game/Arizona Game/Buffalo game/Miami game.

i see no way miami upsets us

buffalo can but i dont think they have the offense to score on us (their D is very good)

dont see rams at all

Zona can as well as seahawks
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I always resist the urge to make predictions if I can. Every year the schedule looks tough before the season starts, then some teams end up a lot better...some a lot worse and if you have a good year everybody talks about how easy your schedule was. Of course you think it was easy...we went 13 and 3 ! Strength of schedule is a BS stat losing teams trot out to explain away a bad year in the past or to lay claim to the dubious title of off season champion. Its all rose colored glasses and lawns that are greener on the other side of the fence.

We will know how good these teams are when people play them...until then the schedule is just as tough as last year...we will play some great teams and some crappy ones...we will play on the east coast at bad times and get a few wins at home that we might not of away. If our team is as good or better than last year, and I think it is better we will have a great record, go to the playoffs and play the hand we are dealt. Long story short...its about how good we are...screw how good they are.

Agree, but couldn't resist. With your moniker it makes sense to wait and see! LOL! I thought the schedule was going to be difficult last year but Philly and others turned out to be less than the pieces indicated. But...they did beat a tough Det team and lost by a whisker to Balt and Dal.
Share 49ersWebzone