There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Documentary

Originally posted by NickSh49:
Nah, I edit/produce TV for a living. I actually thought about going to SF to do a documentary on Alex Smith this summer, but the Sean Pamphilon mess with the Saints kind of messed things up. Teams are now super-hesitant to let anyone with a camera near team-happenings unless they work for the organization.

And to answer your question, the complete version is too long, and most of it doesn't focus on Alex.

Had a feeling you were more than just an interested fan! Nice critique! And thanks for the reply.
More of an SF doc

But thanks that was the best video I have ever watched. Huge props to the maker
DUDE!!! What a great video man!!!! Awesome job!!!
Freaking Great video I tear up every time I watch "the catch III" and everyone celebrating.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Nah, I edit/produce TV for a living. I actually thought about going to SF to do a documentary on Alex Smith this summer, but the Sean Pamphilon mess with the Saints kind of messed things up. Teams are now super-hesitant to let anyone with a camera near team-happenings unless they work for the organization.

And to answer your question, the complete version is too long, and most of it doesn't focus on Alex.

Had a feeling you were more than just an interested fan! Nice critique! And thanks for the reply.

Dude is a student. So for a student project, it ain't bad. He's got good timing and didn't go crazy with effects and transitions. I also really liked his season-records reveal, when all the past 49ers' seasons popped up. Not bad at all.

We didn't have YouTube in my day... crazy to think of a world without it now.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Definitely well made (and I'm still watching it through), but...

The focus of this thing should solely be on Alex Smith. Jim Harbaugh and the rest of the team should be supporting characters. The week-by-week recaps aren't necessary. This thing could have been a lot shorter. Cut out everything that isn't Alex on the screen unless it relates to Alex.

Like week one is really insignificant to "The Alex Smith Story." Ted Ginn's two TD's are not important. In fact, starting with the week two overtime loss would have been a better choice, since that was the true beginning of the surge.

I'm not even sure how much Greg Williams matters to the story. The focus is on Alex's relationship with the fans and how the media perceives him. More than half of this thing should have been dedicated to his struggles through the 2009 season. There was plenty more to show...

• Starting his first game against the powerhouse Colts in 2005.
• Not scoring a TD in 2005 until week 17.
• The revolving door of offensive coordinators.
• The landmark shoulder injury and struggles with said injury in 2007.
• The shutout loss in Seattle in 2007, before he was placed on IR
• Missing the 2008 season
• Singletary, but he did a good job there

Just my 2¢. Pretty good for a student film, but I would have kept more of a focus on Alex and pulled from more interviews. We really don't get to see enough of him going through the ups and downs. Instead, we get a TEAM recap of the 2011 season instead of a recap of Alex.

Also, the rap/r&b music that kicks in at 13:05 is pretty bad/generic. The rest of the music is pretty good though... SOCIAL NETWORK soundtrack ftw.

Great feedback from a real professional

Eh, I am accidentally professional, but thank you.
didn't finish, lol

but only because it kept freezing on me past like the 15 minute mark, sucks.
Fuhking tearily fantastic, especially all the home shot stuff at the end, I will never forget that moment and the people i was with.
great video! up there with the best..

just thinking back on his career made me flashback to a game vs the texans. one of those alex moments which showed some glimpses of a 1st round pick he replaced hill in the 2nd half and threw for 200 and 3tds in that half but then threw the pick to close it. crabtree's first game i believe.

very light headed after that game.
Originally posted by keeferr75:

just thinking back on his career made me flashback to a game vs the texans. one of those alex moments which showed some glimpses of a 1st round pick he replaced hill in the 2nd half and threw for 200 and 3tds in that half but then threw the pick to close it. crabtree's first game i believe.

Correct about the Texans game being Crab's first.

Good point. I will always remember that game as the new Alex Smith. I think that extra time on the bench was a blessing in disguised for him. All the pressure of a #1 pick was gone. He was just another qb coming off the bench. There was no pressure. He came in to just mop up and run the offense. But I think he knew he would do well. Made the best out of it. And I think he appreciated Singletary for giving him that chance too.

The booing in the Eagles game was another turning point for him too. He had to exert more than just run the offense. Take chances by trusting his other guys on offense. He ended up making some of his best throws late in that game. The best and worst part of that was he couldn't find the consistency to play at that level. Singletary and his 'offensive' coaches just doesn't have the acumen to offer him that. He had to find his own way. To try to play like that with consistency. He might have found it but he was subsequently injured again for 2-3 games....?
yeah

for everyone pissed that espn didnt show the 49ers yearbook

we can just watch this
So cool. Thanks for sharing.
Not really a Alex Smith "documentery."

More like a 2011 team recap, featuring alex smith occasionally.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Good point. I will always remember that game as the new Alex Smith. I think that extra time on the bench was a blessing in disguised for him. All the pressure of a #1 pick was gone. He was just another qb coming off the bench. There was no pressure. He came in to just mop up and run the offense. But I think he knew he would do well. Made the best out of it. And I think he appreciated Singletary for giving him that chance too.

The booing in the Eagles game was another turning point for him too. He had to exert more than just run the offense. Take chances by trusting his other guys on offense. He ended up making some of his best throws late in that game. The best and worst part of that was he couldn't find the consistency to play at that level. Singletary and his 'offensive' coaches just doesn't have the acumen to offer him that. He had to find his own way. To try to play like that with consistency. He might have found it but he was subsequently injured again for 2-3 games....?

I remember the Houston game very well. It was like Alex's resurrection from the ashes. The Eagles games in 2010 and 2011 were also pretty big landmarks in Alex's turnaround. I remember how Alex was gunning it into double and triple coverage to Vernon. In the end, it seemed like he was pressing too hard, but they were down by three touchdowns or so, and the fans were booing him like he was on the Eagles. I was disgusted by the 49ers fans at that point. Jimmy Raye's offense was one of the worst I've ever seen, next to Jim Hostler's laminated offense. They couldn't buy a 1st down, and they went 3 and out more times than I can remember. So when Alex came back from 3 TD's down to start the 2nd half to win the game, I knew that times had really changed. I was in shock and awe as the Niners scored each TD to come back. That was an amazing game, as was the Lions game.