LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

Alex Smith Documentary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Epic vid, a lot of 49ers left it all on the field. First & foremost Justin Smith, that man is a savage. Alex Smith also showed a lot of heart, he made some great plays with his arm & legs glad to have him back. Just sad to think those guys should have gotten a chance to win it all, yet it was one hell of a season I'll never forget.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Jul 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
True. I'm a harsh critic when it comes to the music in these clips, since I don't really like any of the pop/rap/rock songs that most of them use.

I enjoy a wide range of music but I truly just prefer having the in-game or radio commentary on highlight footage. If music has to be incorporated, I just like simple NFL films score or an orchestral piece like Bonstoker uses.

While I actually completely agree with you on that, I look at this video as more of a storytelling thing than highlight footage. The highlight footage while necessary for the story, isn't the central point of the video itself. Therefore I like the music in this video because of it.

However, I do agree, normally, I very much prefer the same thing you do as well.

EDIT: I might have picked different music, but that's only preference, not because of what is stated above. Either way, overall, I liked the music.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM ]
GO
[ Edited by 49erSooner on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:01 PM ]
Definitely well made (and I'm still watching it through), but...

The focus of this thing should solely be on Alex Smith. Jim Harbaugh and the rest of the team should be supporting characters. The week-by-week recaps aren't necessary. This thing could have been a lot shorter. Cut out everything that isn't Alex on the screen unless it relates to Alex.

Like week one is really insignificant to "The Alex Smith Story." Ted Ginn's two TD's are not important. In fact, starting with the week two overtime loss would have been a better choice, since that was the true beginning of the surge.

I'm not even sure how much Greg Williams matters to the story. The focus is on Alex's relationship with the fans and how the media perceives him. More than half of this thing should have been dedicated to his struggles through the 2009 season. There was plenty more to show...

• Starting his first game against the powerhouse Colts in 2005.
• Not scoring a TD in 2005 until week 17.
• The revolving door of offensive coordinators.
• The landmark shoulder injury and struggles with said injury in 2007.
• The shutout loss in Seattle in 2007, before he was placed on IR
• Missing the 2008 season
• Singletary, but he did a good job there

Just my 2¢. Pretty good for a student film, but I would have kept more of a focus on Alex and pulled from more interviews. We really don't get to see enough of him going through the ups and downs. Instead, we get a TEAM recap of the 2011 season instead of a recap of Alex.

Also, the rap/r&b music that kicks in at 13:05 is pretty bad/generic. The rest of the music is pretty good though... SOCIAL NETWORK soundtrack ftw.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jul 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:

The focus of this thing should solely be on Alex Smith. Jim Harbaugh and the rest of the team should be supporting characters. The week-by-week recaps aren't necessary. This thing could have been a lot shorter. Cut out everything that isn't Alex on the screen unless it relates to Alex.

Like week one is really insignificant to "The Alex Smith Story." Ted Ginn's two TD's are not important. In fact, starting with the week two overtime loss would have been a better choice, since that was the true beginning of the surge.

I'm not even sure how much Greg Williams matters to the story. The focus is on Alex's relationship with the fans and how the media perceives him. More than half of this thing should have been dedicated to his struggles through the 2009 season. There was plenty more to show...

Just my 2¢. Pretty good for a student film, but I would have kept more of a focus on Alex and pulled from more interviews. We really don't get to see enough of him going through the ups and downs. Instead, we get a TEAM recap of the 2011 season instead of a recap of Alex.

Wow! All great points! I love the video...captures so much. But true, if this is an Alex Smith documentary, it needs to be about Alex and all you described. Great points...

Also, the rap/r&b music that kicks in at 13:05 is pretty bad/generic. The rest of the music is pretty good though... SOCIAL NETWORK soundtrack ftw.

Do I detect a videographer here? Very detailed critique. I didn't mind the rap as much as I usually do but seldom listen to rap. When Singletary was giving his emotional half-time speech the players behind him looked very unimpressed. Too many sermons? When you say it was too long were you referring to the longer version? Or the linked? I thought it was pretty brief but have not watched the complete version.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
lets not start suckin each others dicks just yet. Let him win more than one epic game.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Do I detect a videographer here? Very detailed critique. I didn't mind the rap as much as I usually do but seldom listen to rap. When Singletary was giving his emotional half-time speech the players behind him looked very unimpressed. Too many sermons? When you say it was too long were you referring to the longer version? Or the linked? I thought it was pretty brief but have not watched the complete version.

Nick knows what he's talking about when it comes to making videos.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lets not start suckin each others dicks just yet. Let him win more than one epic game.

Wow damn..

To be be fair he had quite a few..

And well you are the only who is thinking about sucking dicks... so you do that in your own time okay?
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Wow damn..

To be be fair he had quite a few..

And well you are the only who is thinking about sucking dicks... so you do that in your own time okay?

LOL...and in the privacy of your own home I would hope!

Awesome vid! Watching it really makes me appreciate the turnaround Alex had last year.
Awesome.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Nah, I edit/produce TV for a living. I actually thought about going to SF to do a documentary on Alex Smith this summer, but the Sean Pamphilon mess with the Saints kind of messed things up. Teams are now super-hesitant to let anyone with a camera near team-happenings unless they work for the organization.

And to answer your question, the complete version is too long, and most of it doesn't focus on Alex.
Awesome job, big fan of both Alex and the video maker

Great feedback from a real professional
Share 49ersWebzone