There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Ginn will not get cut. We knew he wasn't a WR for us when we resigned him. He's purely a KR/PR and that's worth a spot on the roster.
No chance he is cut. He'll likely never get on the field as a WR..but he'll be our primary KR/PR. Kendall Hunter splitting w/ him on KR.
I don't see anyone on the team returning punts as well as ginn. Maybe they can get better at it like ginn has. The problem that I could see happening is if the coaches like LaMichael James returning Kick off along with Hunter better then they like Ginn back there. That mean Ginn is only going to be used to Return Punts. So do they Keep a guy that only is a punt returner? If there not going to use Ginn as a WR or KR. He is not going to cover kickoff or punts. He is on the team for 1 play and only 1 play. Then yes he maybe could get cut. If he is going to play on all the special teams then yes he make it he would be no different then Rock Cartwright. Cartwright is probably not going to see the field as a RB.
Maybe we can cut Ginn, then let Kyle Williams return punts again. Just make sure you have one guy to tackle him when he decides to run towards a bouncing punt. Can we afford another unproven rookie returner in a big game.... Special team coverage teams in college is not exactly the same level as the NFL.
unless someone clearly beats him out as a KR/PR, he is on the team. He's one of the best in the NFL at what he does.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
And if one of our rookies proves to be 90% of the returner that Ginn is?
They will have to light the world on fire to make me think a rookie will replace ginn. a rookie is going to have to have more than one or two good returns in a pre season game against the other teams third unit. I know how this place operates. people like nate davis makes one good throw in a pre season game against some scrubs and he should be the niner starter. woods has a good game in a pre season game against san diego and he is our wide out of the future. no. i think the chances of one of the kids lighting it up in pre season is not very realistic.

They will be practising against one of the best kick coverage teams. I think The coaches will have a better chance to see the margins in player performances than we will in a few preseason games. Not saying that we will replace Ginn, but that is the situation where I could see it happening.
Not sure where everyone is getting Ginn's propensity for "drops" from last year. I understand with Miami, yes, but not last year with the 49ers. Per PFF, he's not one of the top 20 of least dropped passes and he isn't in the bottom worst either (#72-91) where this drop rate is flooded with WR's such as Manningham, Roddy White, DeSean Jackson and Donald Driver. I can't find his actual ranking but I think ppl tend to, again, focus on typecasts and not actual production from last year. So his value is as a ST ace in Candlestick (can's stress this enough), on fly-sweeps, on 3rd downs (great outlet for Alex) and stretching the field opening it up for others (esp. Crabtree & VD) and we didn't even add the deep post pattern last year either save for a couple of shots (one TD brought back by a TD and another he lost in the sun). Not to mention, if Manningham goes down or Moss doesn't pan out we NEED that speed on the outside (deep threat) to run this offense (see NFCCG last year and how it affected Crabtree). And he will be in year 2 of this WCO and should only get better.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not sure where everyone is getting Ginn's propensity for "drops" from last year. I understand with Miami, yes, but not last year with the 49ers. Per PFF, he's not one of the top 20 of least dropped passes and he isn't in the bottom worst either (#72-91) where this drop rate is flooded with WR's such as Manningham, Roddy White, DeSean Jackson and Donald Driver. I can't find his actual ranking but I think ppl tend to, again, focus on typecasts and not actual production from last year. So his value is as a ST ace in Candlestick (can's stress this enough), on fly-sweeps, on 3rd downs (great outlet for Alex) and stretching the field opening it up for others (esp. Crabtree & VD) and we didn't even add the deep post pattern last year either save for a couple of shots (one TD brought back by a TD and another he lost in the sun). Not to mention, if Manningham goes down or Moss doesn't pan out we NEED that speed on the outside (deep threat) to run this offense (see NFCCG last year and how it affected Crabtree). And he will be in year 2 of this WCO and should only get better.

He did dropped/mishandled one that I remember from last year. The punt return for TD in the first Seattle game. He dropped the ball but it luckily bounced right back to him. But that's to be expected all punt returner will occasionally mishandled one. What we don't want to see is a string of them. And especially in one game like K. Williams. I don't see Ginn as in this category of droppers.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

He did dropped/mishandled one that I remember from last year. The punt return for TD in the first Seattle game. He dropped the ball but it luckily bounced right back to him. But that's to be expected all punt returner will occasionally mishandled one. What we don't want to see is a string of them. And especially in one game like K. Williams. I don't see Ginn as in this category of droppers.

Agreed, he did bobble that one (worked to his advantage) and I believe he also had one where he was wide open as a receiver by 7 yards, and it bounced off his hands for an INT. I think he might have dropped that one at the very end of the Ravens game (but no biggie there as we were down 10). Is that it? The rest were all pretty clutch catches esp. on 3rd downs and along the sidelines bailing Alex out. He, like Crabtree, still needs to work on route running, timing with Alex and keep working on his hands (ala VD) but he shouldn't be stereotyped as a liability in the passing game d/t drops...b/c that just wasn't the case last year.
We should sign the winner of the 100m at the Olympics To be a kick returner
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

We can call it the "Nehemiah Award Signing."
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Yup.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
It appears highly likely to me that if Kyle Williams keeps up at the pace he appears to be at, they will cut Ted Ginn and figure it out, probably with LaMichael James. I'm sure Harbaugh will want to get him on the field.

He caught 19 passes last year, not enough to tell us anything meaningful about is propensity for drops (which have always been a problem for him).

"Needing speed on the outside" is something fans love to talk about, but doesn't have nearly as much of an effect as fans want to believe. Ginn runs poor routes, doesn't get in and out of his breaks, and until he proves otherwise he has a major problem with drops. He's a CLASSIC Al Davis WR.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Yup.
yes. That worked out just lovely. bill walsh did not always make the right moves