LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dlance:
LaMichael James may return punt. if Perrish Cox make the team he can return punt, and yes if they use Kyle Williams all year to return punt he will get better at it. Are any of these guy as good as Ginn is right now. Probably not, but they all can get better just as Ginn has Gotten better. there are other on the team that can return Kickoff so if it comes down to Keeping Ginn for Punt Return Only. He will not play anything ells NO WR not Kickoffs, No punt Coverage. No Kickoff coverage. then Yes there is a chance he could be cut.

He will probably still return kickoffs if he is on the active roster, but I agree that they should not keep him on a roster this deep and talented if they feel that the young talent can handle the returns
Ginn has proven that he can return punts for touchdowns, why would we cut off ties with such a weapon in our special teams. This team as a whole work great together, on defense, offense and special teams. What happened with Kyle was unfortunate, but he is working his ass off in training camp. He's a small receiver that does have quickness, almost wes welker like. I still would rather hold onto Ginn. Ginn has speed over Kyle, but Kyle is 23 compared to Ginn who is 27. I still would stick with Ginn.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Hi Ken Williams,

He's amazing now, and that's all that matters if we're trying to get to the Superbowl and win it all. To cut amazing for tenuous potential would be utter stupidity. Don't worry, we'll probably end up keeping your son anyhow based on his pass catching abilities, certainly not for his return "skills".

You always add so much to the conversation...
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The last paragraph of the article was the only one not quoted:

"Then again, it makes sense for the 49ers to hold onto Ginn just in case Randy Moss doesn't have much left in the tank after a year away from football or if A.J. Jenkins has trouble picking up the new offense. If the other receivers in camp make strides and Williams and Cox show they handle kicks then Ginn might be looking for a new team in August. As the summer winds down the NFL rumors surrounding Ted Ginn, Jr. might start to pick up."

I see this as the most important paragraph as it lays out the possibilities very clearly. Ginn will be on the team unless a couple of players really excel at returning kicks during TC (unless his injury is a continuing problem).

Well obviously it's going to be a late august decision, final cuts. I think it's the overall package they'll look at though, if one of KW, James, Jenkins or Cox look even close to ginn on returning duty his chances go down because of his well known stone hands.

I wonder if the competition isn't ginn/kw but ginn/cox. Since we definitely won't have two receivers whose only purpose is ST. We'll definitely keep a lot of WRs this year, no idea exactly how many though.

I don't think any fan could stomach KW on ST ever again. I don't want to have to say, "hold the ball-hold the ball-hold the ball" on every return. If I was betting I would say Cox is #2 on duties.

I didn't think any fan could stomach Alex smith for six years. Looks like you guys are still around. In the end who gives a s**t what fans think? Most of you have your heads wrapped around bitter emotions instead of logic. Logic like the fact that a few bad plays do not necessarily mean that will be a trend in his career. Logic like the fact that people improve from their mistakes.

I won't just throw him under the bus for a few bad plays. He filled in on punt duty when he hadn't done it all year. If you give him all training camp to practice punts it's highly unlikely that he'll be a fumble machine. If Kyle is the better overall receiver, you keep him, there is no resentment in coaching. Seems like a lot of you take this game way too seriously and wanted him to kill himself.
Yup, guy has shown he couldn't do it in a big moment in college or the pros. So logic says... He deserves more shots!!!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Hi Ken Williams,

He's amazing now, and that's all that matters if we're trying to get to the Superbowl and win it all. To cut amazing for tenuous potential would be utter stupidity. Don't worry, we'll probably end up keeping your son anyhow based on his pass catching abilities, certainly not for his return "skills".

You always add so much to the conversation...

I do actually. I just refuse to join this Kyle Williams cult that you're trying to push on others like a Jesuit missionary.
Hi Ken Williams,

Watch these videos again for the guys who want to cut him....

"Then again, it makes sense for the 49ers to hold onto Ginn just in case Randy Moss doesn't have much left in the tank after a year away from football or if A.J. Jenkins has trouble picking up the new offense. If the other receivers in camp make strides and Williams and Cox show they handle kicks then Ginn might be looking for a new team in August. As the summer winds down the NFL rumors surrounding Ted Ginn, Jr. might start to pick up."

I see this as the most important paragraph as it lays out the possibilities very clearly. Ginn will be on the team unless a couple of players really excel at returning kicks during TC (unless his injury is a continuing problem).

Well obviously it's going to be a late august decision, final cuts. I think it's the overall package they'll look at though, if one of KW, James, Jenkins or Cox look even close to ginn on returning duty his chances go down because of his well known stone hands.

I wonder if the competition isn't ginn/kw but ginn/cox. Since we definitely won't have two receivers whose only purpose is ST. We'll definitely keep a lot of WRs this year, no idea exactly how many though.

I don't think any fan could stomach KW on ST ever again. I don't want to have to say, "hold the ball-hold the ball-hold the ball" on every return. If I was betting I would say Cox is #2 on duties.

I didn't think any fan could stomach Alex smith for six years. Looks like you guys are still around. In the end who gives a s**t what fans think? Most of you have your heads wrapped around bitter emotions instead of logic. Logic like the fact that a few bad plays do not necessarily mean that will be a trend in his career. Logic like the fact that people improve from their mistakes.

I won't just throw him under the bus for a few bad plays. He filled in on punt duty when he hadn't done it all year. If you give him all training camp to practice punts it's highly unlikely that he'll be a fumble machine. If Kyle is the better overall receiver, you keep him, there is no resentment in coaching. Seems like a lot of you take this game way too seriously and wanted him to kill himself.

He did ST duites in college and f**ked up there as well. I can take a mistake, I cant take multiple mistakes in critical situations.

He did ST duites in college and f**ked up there as well. I can take a mistake, I cant take multiple mistakes in critical situations.

Is this guy seriously arguing he wants to keep Kyle Williams instead of Ted Ginn?....
Ted Ginn has as much of chance of being cut as CK does at starting at QB this season.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Ted Ginn has as much of chance of being cut as CK does at starting at QB this season.

thats it, susweet is now slashing his wrists
I don't think that Ginn is going to get cut, either. He's an awesome returner. He's a decent receiver, too. But there are only so many slots on the team and we are stacked at receiver. But I would be shocked. Really shocked.
Would be stupid to cut him. Hes an elite return man. We would be champs if he was healthy.
No chance of being cut...very good and reliable returner IN Candlestick and he was actually a WAY better receiver than most think whether it was via fly-sweeps, DB's playing way off respecting his speed (opening up space for others), catching key 3rd downs, etc. he did a good job. Ask Crabtree how easy life was with him not on the field.
I'm watching the playoff game against the Saints. First quarter drive, Teddy caught a good slant pass for a first down. Next play, Smith seems to changed the play. Doing his 'kill kill' signal. Smith do a quick 3 steps drop, throws a quick out intended for Ginn. Ginn did do a comeback except too late and ran too deep. The pass fell well behind him. Could have been close to another first down catch for Ginn.

Ginn is not short of abilities. The Saints were giving him a lot of cushion and respect his speed. Ginn needs to improve his knowledge and recognition of the game. And most of all his time with Alex Smith. He needs camp like Crabtree in a big way. With more receivers this year, Roman will only call a few plays per game to each of his guys. If any of the receivers want more touches, they better show they can be consistent.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone