There are 239 users in the forums

Stadium Webcam

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Man, they're slow as f**k. They should have that stadium half way built by now.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Would believe that I spent over 2 hours today watching them lol
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Looks like they are building a wooden wall to pour concrete in the southwest corner (for best view of it, use Great America Cam). May we will start to see something soon that's not underground.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Looks like they are building a wooden wall to pour concrete in the southwest corner (for best view of it, use Great America Cam). May we will start to see something soon that's not underground.

They started with the 3000 pilings about May 21 so they should be done drilling them any day now. They said it should take about 25 days at 120 a day.
Can't wait to see something other than dirt relocation.
Originally posted by Born49R:
They started with the 3000 pilings about May 21 so they should be done drilling them any day now. They said it should take about 25 days at 120 a day.
Can't wait to see something other than dirt relocation.

If they're on schedule they should be done by Friday. If it's a typical foundation (for this kind of project) they still have a tons and tons of concrete to pour before steel goes up. It looks like they've already started pouring "pile caps and grade beams" which tie all the piers together to make a footing.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If they're on schedule they should be done by Friday. If it's a typical foundation (for this kind of project) they still have a tons and tons of concrete to pour before steel goes up. It looks like they've already started pouring "pile caps and grade beams" which tie all the piers together to make a footing.
Thanks bigtime for the info. I looked up images of "pile caps and grade beams" so I could understand what you were refering to. Never to old to learn. I've remodeled my two houses and helped my dad build one of his houses and garage from the foundation up. So while I understand the concept of foundations I'm not familiar with the jargon of large projects like these. Hope you keep updating what's going on as they proceed thru each step.
Thanks bigtime for the info. I looked up images of "pile caps and grade beams" so I could understand what you were refering to. Never to old to learn. I've remodeled my two houses and helped my dad build one of his houses and garage from the foundation up. So while I understand the concept of foundations I'm not familiar with the jargon of large projects like these. Hope you keep updating what's going on as they proceed thru each step.

Ya...ditto. Just looked it up myself and it all makes sense.

So Sonoco, If I'm inderstanding correctly then the next step is pouring concrete to "cap" them...IE connecting a number of them at a time at the surface and then connect all those caps with large steel beams? Do they weld a steel "grid" to the top of the pile first that the poured concrete would encase?

Forgive me as I no zilch about construction, but this whole process has become a hobby of mine. ;-)
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Ya...ditto. Just looked it up myself and it all makes sense.

So Sonoco, If I'm inderstanding correctly then the next step is pouring concrete to "cap" them...IE connecting a number of them at a time at the surface and then connect all those caps with large steel beams? Do they weld a steel "grid" to the top of the pile first that the poured concrete would encase?

Forgive me as I no zilch about construction, but this whole process has become a hobby of mine. ;-)

You have the basic idea. Each pile they've been installing over the last month has a rebar "cage" inside running for most if not all of the 50' depth of the pile. The rebar cage sticks out the top end of the pile above grade a foot or two. The pile caps and grade beams are rebar reinforced concrete structures that are linked into the rebar cages that are penetrating out of the piles. Once the cap and beam rebar is tied into the pile rebar they encase it all in concrete and then you have a complete foundation ready to support a steel structure.
Got it. So the "beams" are rebar reinforced concrete as well. So the below picture (different building) would be the rebar cages tied to the piles before the concrete was poured for the caps and beams.

[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jun 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM ]
^^ You got it . . . They can be either formed above grade like the photo or they can excavate a trench and set the grade beam rebar in the trench. Judging by all the dirt still being moved it looks like the latter.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jun 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM ]

I check in about 3 times a day for about 15-20 min at least each time, depending on what is going on, it's strangely addicting. But then in my case, I've always been a nerd. lol
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I check in about 3 times a day for about 15-20 min at least each time, depending on what is going on, it's strangely addicting. But then in my case, I've always been a nerd. lol

You guys also might like watching grass grow.
Originally posted by susweel:
Naw , not into paint drying either but, I do watch some golf tournaments on the tube.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Naw , not into paint drying either but, I do watch some golf tournaments on the tube.

and let me guess you also must be a big baseball fan.
and let me guess you also must be a big baseball fan.
Not really, even though I occasionally watch the Giants play. Can't stand the NBA anymore either even though basketball was my original sports passion.
However, I do watch cricket and World Cup soccer so you are correct about suspecting me of being boring.
Share 49ersWebzone