LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is how I currently view the depth chart. Alex is the starter until something drastic happens. I think Johnson is doing better and is more polished than Kaep, so in a backup sense, Johnson has the least drop-off from Smith.

I was really high on Kaep when we drafted him, but my enthusiasm is waning. He could still be a great QB, who knows, but the press makes it seem like he's struggling more than the other guys. Plus he doesn't have a large contract, so there's no $$$ bias.

Starter: Alex Smith

Backup: Josh Johnson

3rd String: Colin Kaepernick

4th String: Scott Tolzien
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
We didn't draft him which means he gets less chances than Kaep no different than other QB's we brought in the last 7 years got less chances than Alex.

Scott and Josh may be better than Kaep for all we know but they won't get as many opportunities than Kaep due to what we have invested in Kaep.

I think this will be our depth chart:

Alex: starter
Kaep: backup
Johnson: emergency
Scott: practice squad and be reevaluated with Johnson and Kaep next year to see where he fits in.
thank you, i think i agree. i do really really hope ck will beat out johnson
I like the kid but not enough to root against Alex.
After reading the article yesterday about ota practice. Colin sounds like a stud... I hope he get his chance this year..
Originally posted by cciowa:
We didn't draft him which means he gets less chances than Kaep no different than other QB's we brought in the last 7 years got less chances than Alex.

Scott and Josh may be better than Kaep for all we know but they won't get as many opportunities than Kaep due to what we have invested in Kaep.

I think this will be our depth chart:

Alex: starter
Kaep: backup
Johnson: emergency
Scott: practice squad and be reevaluated with Johnson and Kaep next year to see where he fits in.

Personally, I don't mind if Johnson gets the job either. He is very talented. From the combine:

Johnson's athletic ability separates him from the rest of this quarterback crop. He is not as big or strong as Randall, but has the same body control, balance and scrambling ability that forces defenses to account for not only his arm, but also his feet. He will need to add more bulk to compete at the next level, but with his developing arm strength and excellent vision, he would be an ideal fit for a West Coast/spread offense.

Tolzien isn't as athletic and he's the only one I wouldn't want to win any job but a backup.

The good thing is, between Josh and Kaep, we have 2 backups that can come in and give defenses a little trouble with their athleticism and under development, can give defenses trouble with their arms.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
I like the kid but not enough to root against Alex.

Not rooting against Alex but of all the qb's in the league that started 16 games Alex #'s are at the very bottom. we rank near the bottom in the league on 3rd down conversions. We rank near the bottom in the league in the redzone. Thats why our kicker set records. If he can improve on any of these without turnovers (which was Alex's big improvment this year) he would be the man
Originally posted by susweel:
So why do some on here think Kaep doesn't have what it takes? Did he show he doesn't have what it takes on the field by throwing 11 INT's to 1 TD or something? If he did that, then you have a debate.

I wonna know why Kap doesn't get 7 years to prove himself, instead people are writing him off after 1 preseason and that was without an off season program.

He should.

To get a good QB, you have to:

A. Be lucky enough to hold the top draft pick in a year when there is a truly great talent available (P. Manning, C. Newton, maybe A. Luck)

B. Be even luckier and get one by pure chance in a later round (T. Brady)

or
C. Develop one over time.... either by letting him sit on the bench behind a vet until he's ready (A. Rogers, P. Rivers, and our own Steve Young). Or by throwing him to the wolves to learn on the job (E. Manning, M. Stafford, and maybe even Alex Smith... fingers still crossed )

The most common method, is clearly "C".
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
After reading the article yesterday about ota practice. Colin sounds like a stud... I hope he get his chance this year..

In garbage time only hopefully.
According to this article Kap is out performing Smith on 7-on-7's
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/06/inside-the-49ers/moss-makes-greatest-catch-ive-ever-seen/
Originally posted by JERMGEEK:
According to this article Kap is out performing Smith on 7-on-7's
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/06/inside-the-49ers/moss-makes-greatest-catch-ive-ever-seen/

Press Democrat... pfft.

Each QB will have their good days and bad. As long as they all show improvement, I'm happy. Looking forward to seeing all four QBs this pre-season.
Such a long time to wait.

Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

He will in preseason
When we started stockpiling draft picks in this years draft my immediate thoughts were of our quarterback situation. None of them appear to be true, franchise quarterbacks, at least at this time. I bet Harbalke are preparing themselves to move waaayyy up in next years draft to grab a franchise QB if there is one available. This the only piece we still need to make us a powerhouse for the forseeable future.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 16to87:
Where' s Smiths ring? no ring? can"compare him to Manning dumb comparison

the point is not to compare smith to manning

the point is that as long as a team is competing for a SB you shouldnt change your QB

When the QB is the main reason you're competing for a Super Bowl, you don't change your QB. That is far from the case here, so your point isn't effective.

Why? Johnson is still young. And although the 49ers didn't draft Johnson, Harbaugh recruited him in college. Johnson is much more a "Harbaugh Guy" than Kaep is. The reports out of practice are that Johnson looks pretty damn good (though throwing to Moss would make any one look good). I don't understand why people really want Kaep to be the starter or beat out Johnson. Is it upside? It sure isn't based in the reality of their respective performances, experience, mechanics, or history with this coaching staff.
Originally posted by midrdan:

Why? Johnson is still young. And although the 49ers didn't draft Johnson, Harbaugh recruited him in college. Johnson is much more a "Harbaugh Guy" than Kaep is. The reports out of practice are that Johnson looks pretty damn good (though throwing to Moss would make any one look good). I don't understand why people really want Kaep to be the starter or beat out Johnson. Is it upside? It sure isn't based in the reality of their respective performances, experience, mechanics, or history with this coaching staff.

why do you want johnson to beat out kaep?? its your opinion dude. just like they have there opinion on why they want kaep to beat out johnson, not to mention kaep is more involved with our 1st strings than johnson has been up to this point in camp. personally id want kaep to win the starting job fairly mainly because we waisted a 2nd round pick on him and paying him 2million a year or something like that sooooo.
Share 49ersWebzone