There are 123 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 16to87:
agree but Alex needs to get the ring this year or next max if not let Kap cut the ribbon to the new stadium

thats pretty dumb i mean for example peyton ahs only won one SB a long time ago (2007 was it) no one tries to replace him

i mean if we do good and are playoff team and contendors then you dont replae your qb

Peyton was also the main reason his team won games. Alex is not the main reason the 49ers win games, it's the defense. Same with Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers - one Super Bowl a piece, but without them, their teams are not Super Bowl contenders. Alex does what he's asked to do, but he isn't asked to do all that much, unlike the other QBs mentioned.

While Alex is a far better QB than Trent Dilfer ever was, he is to the Niners what Dilfer was to the Ravens, not what Peyton was to the Colts when they won it all.
Well that didn't take long to derail the CK thread back to Alex.

Anyway.. I don't know what to think about CK. I know he's got the size, arm strength, and mobility. I hope he can be very good. I have a small nagging feeling that he won't be good enough, but I'm not gonna hold a single thing against him until I see more from him. Same goes for Johnson or Tolzien... don't care. Whichever guy shines the most and can make an impact? Bring him on.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 16to87:
agree but Alex needs to get the ring this year or next max if not let Kap cut the ribbon to the new stadium

thats pretty dumb i mean for example peyton ahs only won one SB a long time ago (2007 was it) no one tries to replace him

i mean if we do good and are playoff team and contendors then you dont replae your qb
Where' s Smiths ring? no ring? can"compare him to Manning dumb comparison
Really hope he works out for the team. Or we have many more bad years coming when and if our defense starts failing. Prove me wrong other Qb, please prove me wrong!
People are putting way too much stake in Kaep. He's a developing qb. He should be fine under Harbaugh. But even if he doesn't, there's always next year in drafting another qb. Can never have enough good qb. Unless your were a Colts' GM the last 10 years. Wanting Kaep to hit the field playing too early before he's ready...wasn't that the same problem that got Alex Smith in trouble with Nolan. Why are people trying to repeat that for the shake of getting rid of Alex Smith
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM ]
Colin Kaepernick definitely has the potential and unique tools to be a successful quarterback in the league. He has a strong arm, great speed for the position, and intangibles that you just don't see in every player. However, I do think he needs time to develop and gain experience before he sees the field. Sky's the limit for him though, could be something special.
Ship has sailed for starting qb for 2012. Alex Smith is the man, and rightfully so. CK will be pushed by Josh Johnson, I think CK is like Jeff Garcia, and ugly practice player but will get it done in games.

This is CK's first year with play book and full off season, I am hoping he developes and Tolzien is right behind him with Josh Johnson getting cut.

At least the 9ers have a good qb situation, I am still reeling from
Chris Wenke, Steve Stentstrom, Gio Carmazzi (being draft 3 rounds ahead of Tom Brady) Tim Rattya, Ken smart brain but noodle arm dorsey, Cody, I am a cowboy pickett, Nate, I cannot throw a football by the threads Davis, Jessie the Bachelor Palmer.

Sight, it has been so long since Montana/young. I am now finally excitied about Smith/kaepernic/Tolzien
I am on the faculty of the University of Nevada, and I had many opportunities to watch Kaep play. He is by far the most dynamic QB I have ever watched in person, and from what I know from some of my colleagues who had him in their classes, he is quite capable intellectually. I would love to see him succeed with the 49ers.

Having said that, I have serious concerns with Kaep as an NFL quarterback. In college, bigger (NFL sized) defenses gave him problems, especially with batted balls (due to his release point and telegraphic motion). If you can find video of it, watch the 2010 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl against Boston College. After the first quarter, the BC defense shut Nevada's offense down, both on the ground and in the air, and they batted down or tipped several passes. A TD on a punt return was the difference in the score, and it was really Nevada's defense that won the game for them (they shut down BC's running game).

If Kaep can adapt his throwing motion (and settle down to be as calm as he was in college), he will be good if not great. If he cannot, when he gets a chance in the NFL, look for a lot of batted down passes.
The A's could use a good pitcher like CK
he has a rocket arm yes, but he needs to develop touch. Once he develops touch, and can read a NFL defense he will be a force. IMO

Originally posted by JPN001:
If he cannot, when he gets a chance in the NFL, look for a lot of batted down passes.

I think we are already used to it. Hopefully, our OL will hold the POA and engage defenders better.. as that issue allowed for quite a few batted passes in each game, it seems.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
work on progress. A project. He has the best coach to teach him but he has to show he is better this year than what he was last year. He has a fairly long leash but we did move up to get him. Had the niners known at the time he was drafted what alex would turn out to be , they never would have traded for him in my opinion. It is silly to say he should be the starter, that is just blather. He has shown nothing to make me think he is a nfl starter right now. I believe he will work hard to get that number two spot but if he falters behind josh johnson..That is not good for him and does not say alot about his future, if he can not beat johnson for number two.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Ship has sailed for starting qb for 2012. Alex Smith is the man, and rightfully so. CK will be pushed by Josh Johnson, I think CK is like Jeff Garcia, and ugly practice player but will get it done in games.

This is CK's first year with play book and full off season, I am hoping he developes and Tolzien is right behind him with Josh Johnson getting cut.

At least the 9ers have a good qb situation, I am still reeling from
Chris Wenke, Steve Stentstrom, Gio Carmazzi (being draft 3 rounds ahead of Tom Brady) Tim Rattya, Ken smart brain but noodle arm dorsey, Cody, I am a cowboy pickett, Nate, I cannot throw a football by the threads Davis, Jessie the Bachelor Palmer.

Sight, it has been so long since Montana/young. I am now finally excitied about Smith/kaepernic/Tolzien

You pulled out all the names I haven't heard in years. How did you end up leaving out Troy Smith
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
You pulled out all the names I haven't heard in years. How did you end up leaving out Troy Smith

terrible quarterbacks, terrible coaches, not a good combo back then. dorsey will become a good quarterback coach, terrible quarterback but a good student of the game. cody aka jr. good god. as dr smith said on lost in space,, oh the pain
blowwwsss
Share 49ersWebzone