There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colin Kaepernick

Not sure why all the drama about Kap. Smith is the starter and will be for the forseeable future so it's not like Colin HAS to be ready right now. If something happens to Alex, Tolzien looks like a very capable backup and seems to have the same type of game as Smith does.

IMO, Smith and Tolzien are the tradtional west coast offense "present," while we make our Super Bowl run. Kap is the "future" (2-3 years down the road) while Harbaugh assembles the pieces to an unstoppable power/pistol/spread/read-option monster offense.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not sure why all the drama about Kap. Smith is the starter and will be for the forseeable future so it's not like Colin HAS to be ready right now. If something happens to Alex, Tolzien looks like a very capable backup and seems to have the same type of game as Smith does.

IMO, Smith and Tolzien are the tradtional west coast offense "present," while we make our Super Bowl run. Kap is the "future" (2-3 years down the road) while Harbaugh assembles the pieces to an unstoppable power/pistol/spread/read-option monster offense.

This gets me excited.....I really feel like Harbaugh will be the West Coast answer to Bill Bilicheck.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by genus49:
Oh hi there Mr. Walsh nice to get your take on things from the great beyond.

A QBs job is to move the chains and score points for the team. Kaepernick did that. He's much improved from where he was last year he just needs more time.

I don't understand why guys are so scared of rushing QBs, we had a pretty good one here in Steve Young. Do rushing touchdowns count any less than passing touchdowns?

Haha I get where you are coming from. I did not see one thing from last nights game that tells me Kaep is any better than last preseason. That is an objective fact in my opinion. He still took bad sacks, showed a powerful arm and running ability with good accuracy on the run, and an inability to throw effectively from the pocket.

Now I am not going to say that he hasn't improved because I am not there in practice and it is a small sample size. Only going off of last night's game however, I think he did not show much if any progression from last pre-season. I'll just wait till all the preseason games are over to really let my opinion form though.

"Took bad sacks"?? Really? He was sacked once. Tolz was also sacked once and for more yards than Kap. Kaepernick had a 60% completion rate, no turnovers, and led the team on 2 scoring drives. Yeah, he's terrible.
He out played Alex last night.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

This gets me excited.....I really feel like Harbaugh will be the West Coast answer to Bill Bilicheck.

I can definitely see that.
Most of the Kaepernick HATERS are Alex Smith groupies..........even after a pretty good outing they still complain did they forget it took Smith 7 years to become a average QB?????.................Give Kaep time just like you did with your American Idol Alex Smith
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Most of the Kaepernick HATERS are Alex Smith groupies..........even after a pretty good outing they still complain did they forget it took Smith 7 years to become a average QB?????.................Give Kaep time just like you did with your American Idol Alex Smith

Quit trying to create a divide with fans. I have always liked Smith and I also like Kaep. He has a lot of room for improvement, but I feel most fans who are grounded in reality, don't jump to conclusions after such little sample size. I don't think it's a trait of guys who have been patient with Smith to all the sudden lose patience with Kaep. I think the guys you are pointing to are the same guys who scream about the falling sky every time something negative happens. That has nothing to do with supporting Smith, in fact it's probably closer to the opposite.
It's what I've been saying all along. Kap is not and will not be a starting QB in the NFL. This team's success is not sustainable if Kap is asked to start for an extended period of time. To think we will win by developing some hybrid of the Pistol/Option offense is wishful thinking. The Nfl is too fast and too athletic to get away with that for any extended period of time.

For those who believe Kap is developing or can develop into a traditional QB, I ask what you are basing that on? Everything I have seen in games (college/NFL), read about him in practice, tells me he is what he is = an athletic option QB with a strong arm.

Kap can be great in small portion sizes. He could even win a game or two ala Troy Smith. The option is hard to stop if you haven't prepared for it all week, remember the Wildcat's initial success. But Kap is a Gimmick QB.

Kap is still only slightly better than Tebow.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no need to bash a whole bunch of people just because they believe smith is the better quarterback and is the unquestioned starter and leader of the offense. I also take offense to you saying there are a whole bunch of CK haters. i have tried to change my ways and stop placing a label of a hater on a fan just because they are not a fan of alex... the only time posters act like they are haters of CK is when we poke a little fun at those who think CK should just be given the keys right now to the niner offense. smith by all accounts, and he did not hurt himself last night against the number one viking defense,,, is the quarterback of the team, no doubt, no question.i am very very happy to see ck have a nice game cuz i did not want josh johnson as our back up. please stop with the childish labels

Had to laugh because this is so true...but let's try not to be so divisive my brutha.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Quit trying to create a divide with fans. I have always liked Smith and I also like Kaep. He has a lot of room for improvement, but I feel most fans who are grounded in reality, don't jump to conclusions after such little sample size. I don't think it's a trait of guys who have been patient with Smith to all the sudden lose patience with Kaep. I think the guys you are pointing to are the same guys who scream about the falling sky every time something negative happens. That has nothing to do with supporting Smith, in fact it's probably closer to the opposite.
good job amp. you are a better poster than you ever were a player
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by alex2125:
It's what I've been saying all along. Kap is not and will not be a starting QB in the NFL. This team's success is not sustainable if Kap is asked to start for an extended period of time. To think we will win by developing some hybrid of the Pistol/Option offense is wishful thinking. The Nfl is too fast and too athletic to get away with that for any extended period of time.

For those who believe Kap is developing or can develop into a traditional QB, I ask what you are basing that on? Everything I have seen in games (college/NFL), read about him in practice, tells me he is what he is = an athletic option QB with a strong arm.

Kap can be great in small portion sizes. He could even win a game or two ala Troy Smith. The option is hard to stop if you haven't prepared for it all week, remember the Wildcat's initial success. But Kap is a Gimmick QB.

Well Jesus Christ! Fire Baalke and hire this guy. I had no idea the guys getting paid to evaluate talent were so wrong.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
good job amp. you are a better poster than you ever were a player

Originally posted by alex2125:

Clearly Harbaugh disagrees with you or he wouldn't have drafted KP, wouldn't be installing the very things you're saying won't work and wouldn't have declared him the backup to Smith. You might eventually be right, who knows...but the one person who is responsible for making all of things happen disagrees with you completely, and that's fairly obvious.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Had to laugh because this is so true...but let's try not to be so divisive my brutha.
of course i could go on a rant about,,, if alex had JH for 7 years instead of the majority of the impotent fools he had coaching him, this would not even be an issue,, i could go on a rant about,,,, i would have liked to see what CK did if here were in the shoes of alex for those 7 long dark years. But i will not cuz that would just create a merry go round and as you said,,,, it is so foolish to be so divisive when we have the possibility of a great season ahead