LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kaep needs to learn to throw from the pocket. It took Vick a while to finally learn how to do that and I think it'll be the same with this #7
[ Edited by YOUNGster08 on Aug 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by A-R-S:
So much fail everywhere.

Alex is a quarterback. Stays in the pocket, manages the game,makes good decisions has good mechanics.

Kap is one of the others. Looks to run, bad mechanics, see's everything LATE. Dude is going nowhere.

Oh hi there Mr. Walsh nice to get your take on things from the great beyond.

A QBs job is to move the chains and score points for the team. Kaepernick did that. He's much improved from where he was last year he just needs more time.

I don't understand why guys are so scared of rushing QBs, we had a pretty good one here in Steve Young. Do rushing touchdowns count any less than passing touchdowns?
I know Scitt Tolzien is the "popular" guy now but I'd still take Kaep as the number 2 any day. He may be a bit rough around the edges but he is no Tebow by any means, he's a much more natural thrower with a much better arm and accuracy, not to mention his release is way faster than tebows.

When Mike Vick was young he wasn't close to being a pocket QB and his QB rating hovered in the mid-70s. Despite his limitations in the pocket he still helped his team win some huge games and he was a nightmare to match up against. CK won't win a QB beauty contest but I would have confidence in him if I needed him to start an get a W.
Kaepernick is a great athlete. I don't see him making QB plays. The announcers acted like they had a special package for Kaep and Johnson. That was not true. Alex Smith ran some of the exact same plays. QB keeper, read up the middle. shotgun handoffs and misdirection. People act like Kaepernick is on some kind of other level running the ball too. I don't see it. I see a guy who isn't really athletically better than smith. He's bigger and stronger, maybe faster. But the guy is not mike Vick. I'm happy to keep him on the team but just look at him making reads vs. Smith or Tolzien. To be honest Tolzien looks like our smartest/most instinctual passer. I would like to see both of those guys play a starting defense. I'm willing to bet that when the bullets are flying Tolzien will move those chains with his arm much better than Kapernick.
Colin looked like a great back on that run, but I want to see him play quarterback, we all know he can run with the ball, but that won't win you games. We need a passer as a backup, and Tolzien looks like a much more natural QB than Colin. CK=another work in progress.
Originally posted by genus49:
Oh hi there Mr. Walsh nice to get your take on things from the great beyond.

A QBs job is to move the chains and score points for the team. Kaepernick did that. He's much improved from where he was last year he just needs more time.

I don't understand why guys are so scared of rushing QBs, we had a pretty good one here in Steve Young. Do rushing touchdowns count any less than passing touchdowns?

Haha I get where you are coming from. I did not see one thing from last nights game that tells me Kaep is any better than last preseason. That is an objective fact in my opinion. He still took bad sacks, showed a powerful arm and running ability with good accuracy on the run, and an inability to throw effectively from the pocket.

Now I am not going to say that he hasn't improved because I am not there in practice and it is a small sample size. Only going off of last night's game however, I think he did not show much if any progression from last pre-season. I'll just wait till all the preseason games are over to really let my opinion form though.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Haha I get where you are coming from. I did not see one thing from last nights game that tells me Kaep is any better than last preseason. That is an objective fact in my opinion. He still took bad sacks, showed a powerful arm and running ability with good accuracy on the run, and an inability to throw effectively from the pocket.

Now I am not going to say that he hasn't improved because I am not there in practice and it is a small sample size. Only going off of last night's game however, I think he did not show much if any progression from last pre-season. I'll just wait till all the preseason games are over to really let my opinion form though.
He was sacked once and almost avoided it, not to mention he got out of another would-be sack and ran it for a first, LOL

How many passes did he throw from the pocket? I think there was only two or three play he ran that were not desgined to roll out. LOL
Originally posted by kush:
I know Scitt Tolzien is the "popular" guy now but I'd still take Kaep as the number 2 any day. He may be a bit rough around the edges but he is no Tebow by any means, he's a much more natural thrower with a much better arm and accuracy, not to mention his release is way faster than tebows.

When Mike Vick was young he wasn't close to being a pocket QB and his QB rating hovered in the mid-70s. Despite his limitations in the pocket he still helped his team win some huge games and he was a nightmare to match up against. CK won't win a QB beauty contest but I would have confidence in him if I needed him to start an get a W.

I need another game to see Scott against #1s. If it looks the same, then Scott becomes #2 and Kaep becomes the 3rd string project with all the talent. I am okay with that. I think Josh is gone. He has not done enough to displace either of those two guys.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I need another game to see Scott against #1s. If it looks the same, then Scott becomes #2 and Kaep becomes the 3rd string project with all the talent. I am okay with that. I think Josh is gone. He has not done enough to displace either of those two guys.

I agree on needing to see Tolzien more...hell I need to see all the QBs more (other than Alex).

The good news is I feel we have at least 2 legitimate backup QBs who can win games in this league.
yes, he was not asked much to throw from the pocket. I think the coaching staff is just easing our QBs in as the preseason goes along.

They didn't ask Kaep to throw much from the Pocket, but tried to give him confidence by completing passes off designed rollouts.....this in week in practice I'm sure they will go over everything and expose him more in the next game.

Scott was not asked to throw the ball deep..or any 20 yard+ sideline throws. But they gave him plays he is good at....well timed plays that he was very accurate in completing. After this week's practice they will hopefully expose him to more parts of the field in the next game. (he threw a nice deep ball on the money against us last year in SD, but we need to see more of it)

poor Johnson, started late with the 3rd/4th stringers...had a #35 at WR...and had to start at 2 yard line....but with the help of Dixon on that 3rd and 9 run...was able to work his way down the field. He had a nice escape for a 1st down.

looking forward to next week.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
yes, he was not asked much to throw from the pocket. I think the coaching staff is just easing our QBs in as the preseason goes along.

They didn't ask Kaep to throw much from the Pocket, but tried to give him confidence by completing passes off designed rollouts.....this in week in practice I'm sure they will go over everything and expose him more in the next game.

Scott was not asked to throw the ball deep..or any 20 yard+ sideline throws. But they gave him plays he is good at....well timed plays that he was very accurate in completing. After this week's practice they will hopefully expose him to more parts of the field in the next game. (he threw a nice deep ball on the money against us last year in SD, but we need to see more of it)

poor Johnson, started late with the 3rd/4th stringers...had a #35 at WR...and had to start at 2 yard line....but with the help of Dixon on that 3rd and 9 run...was able to work his way down the field. He had a nice escape for a 1st down.

looking forward to next week.

All of this, good post Afrikan.

I loved that Greg Roman had all the QBs running plays that played to their strengths. He has such a good handle on this offense and the players in it, I am just so impressed with him.
He was sacked once and almost avoided it, not to mention he got out of another would-be sack and ran it for a first, LOL

How many passes did he throw from the pocket? I think there was only two or three play he ran that were not desgined to roll out. LOL

Yeah Small sample size. sorry for the "s". Saying he took a bad sack instead of sacks really doesn't change my comment at all. What did he improve on from last season? I saw him make all the same plays, and have the same weaknesses last pre-season. I'm not making a judgement really other than saying in the only sample so far this pre-season he has not improved.

I'm not willing to judge his progression at this point, but let's not just make things up about him seeming improved last night. He didn't show it yet. Maybe he will as the pre-season progresses, or maybe he needs some more time for everything to come together. I think he has a ton of talent either way.
Yeah Small sample size. sorry for the "s". Saying he took a bad sack instead of sacks really doesn't change my comment at all. What did he improve on from last season? I saw him make all the same plays, and have the same weaknesses last pre-season. I'm not making a judgement really other than saying in the only sample so far this pre-season he has not improved.

I'm not willing to judge his progression at this point, but let's not just make things up about him seeming improved last night. He didn't show it yet. Maybe he will as the pre-season progresses, or maybe he needs some more time for everything to come together. I think he has a ton of talent either way.
Dude, what should he ahve done on that sack to avoid it? Are you saying Tolzien or Alex wouldn't have been sacked there or something?

I respect your opinion that he hasn't improved but I saw clear improvement. Is he a different QB? No, he's the same Kaep. He's always going to play with the same style, but if you can't see that he was more confident and was moving the ball pretty well, then I'm not going to convince you anything.
Dude, what should he ahve done on that sack to avoid it? Are you saying Tolzien or Alex wouldn't have been sacked there or something?

I respect your opinion that he hasn't improved but I saw clear improvement. Is he a different QB? No, he's the same Kaep. He's always going to play with the same style, but if you can't see that he was more confident and was moving the ball pretty well, then I'm not going to convince you anything.

Yeah maybe he looked a little more confident out there. That long TD run probably made him feel comfortable. I am just talking about his skills in the pocket. I'm not sure if Alex or ST would have thrown the ball away or not on that sack, but I suspect that they would have.

He did move the ball well on the long run, and had a couple nice passes. I'm just saying I saw him do that last season as well. We know he can make some plays on broken plays and roll-outs. I wanted to see some improvement in the traditional passing game to know that he can be the #2. I just didn't see it yet. I also wanted to see if he had cleaned up the throwing motion. When he hesitates he kind of holds it back and telegraphs where he is going. Hopefully we can see some more pocket attempts next week. I'm not making up my mind yet.
Yeah maybe he looked a little more confident out there. That long TD run probably made him feel comfortable. I am just talking about his skills in the pocket. I'm not sure if Alex or ST would have thrown the ball away or not on that sack, but I suspect that they would have.

He did move the ball well on the long run, and had a couple nice passes. I'm just saying I saw him do that last season as well. We know he can make some plays on broken plays and roll-outs. I wanted to see some improvement in the traditional passing game to know that he can be the #2. I just didn't see it yet. I also wanted to see if he had cleaned up the throwing motion. When he hesitates he kind of holds it back and telegraphs where he is going. Hopefully we can see some more pocket attempts next week. I'm not making up my mind yet.

I hear ya'. It would've been nice if they had him try to throw from the pocket, but it looked like a majority of the plays were designed roll outs.

The almost pick intended for Jenkins was a good example of him telegraphing though, he should've made up his mind to throw that ball long before he actually pulled the trigger. Another was the 4 yard designed roll out pass to Kyle Williams. If he puts that on KW a second earlier, there's a chance for a bigger play to be made.

Either way it looks like this will be a wild-ride of a preseason.

Share 49ersWebzone