There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Goldson will be playing even faster in 2012. I think we should try to lock him up for 3 or 4 years which is usually about the span Safeties make big impacts on their defense.

He is definitely a top 5 FS.
He has size, speed, and hands.

I just don't think Baalke/Marathe will do it because they don't like paying for a player's best year. If he proves he can sustain the level of play, then we MAY sign him long term after 2012 but even then, we may just franchise him again and hope to draft a replacement.

I just don't think it is smart to have a lot of money locked up in a FS but our defense is geared for the strength of the Safeties.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 18, 2012 at 8:55 AM ]
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
No, he's not worth #1, or top 5. He's a top 20 safety maaaybeee.... He's not even the best safety on our team!


He's top 5 and that's what he will get on a 1 year deal and a long term deal. They offered him close to that last year. And this year was better for him. So how is he not top 5?

I absolutely agree Goldson is a top 5 safety in this league. And he is only 27 so he should only get better. It's not like we are paying him top CB money. He is the biggest hitter in our secondary, and makes opposing WR's nervous. I LOVE watching him play on Sundays.
Unfortunately he can't cover for s**t, that keeps him from being a top 5 safety, as for hitting hard, we have Whitner who knocks people out. The free safety needs better coverage skills that Goldson. maybe he can improve, but the offer that was put forth last year was more than fair.



Never......

Originally posted by 707Niners:
1. Troy Polomalu
2. Ed Reed
3. Adrian Wilson
4. Donte Whitner
5. Earl Thomas
6. Dashon Goldson
7. Kam Chancellor
8. Nick Collins
9. Michael Griffin
10. Eric Berry


2. Ed Reed
1. Troy Polomalu
10. Eric Berry
5. Earl Thomas
6. Dashon Goldson
7. Kam Chancellor
3. Adrian Wilson
4. Donte Whitner
8. Nick Collins
9. Michael Griffin

Fixed
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on May 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM ]
Ridiculous!

Our whole secondary was better because of the DLine.

The LB's were better because of the DLine.

This will be Dashon's last season.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Makes big plays, gives up big plays. Not worth it. Worthy of a few million a year, no more.

really? maybe a few years ago. but last year how many big plays did he give up? i cant recall any, but the big plays he made i can
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for 99problems.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
No, he's not worth #1, or top 5. He's a top 20 safety maaaybeee.... He's not even the best safety on our team!


He's top 5 and that's what he will get on a 1 year deal and a long term deal. They offered him close to that last year. And this year was better for him. So how is he not top 5?

I absolutely agree Goldson is a top 5 safety in this league. And he is only 27 so he should only get better. It's not like we are paying him top CB money. He is the biggest hitter in our secondary, and makes opposing WR's nervous. I LOVE watching him play on Sundays.
Unfortunately he can't cover for s**t, that keeps him from being a top 5 safety, as for hitting hard, we have Whitner who knocks people out. The free safety needs better coverage skills that Goldson. maybe he can improve, but the offer that was put forth last year was more than fair.

didnt he have like 7 int's
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Unfortunately he can't cover for s**t, that keeps him from being a top 5 safety, as for hitting hard, we have Whitner who knocks people out. The free safety needs better coverage skills that Goldson. maybe he can improve, but the offer that was put forth last year was more than fair.

That same person who can't cover for s**t led the team in interceptions
No. Safety is not a position where you want to invest top money. One dominant CB maybe, and in your front 7.
Goldson is not a liability in coverage. Our defense instantly improved when Goldson stepped in for Reggie Smith, who many here thought was the superior safety in coverage. All big play safeties give up a few big plays each year. Dashon Goldson doesn't have the all around game to be paid like a top 5 player at his position but he forces receivers to think twice about going up for the ball and he makes the interceptions that a good safety needs to make. 4 years 25 million with a nice signing bonus is a fair deal for both sides and I think he would take that deal.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Fasteddy:
No. Safety is not a position where you want to invest top money. One dominant CB maybe, and in your front 7.

Every great defense has had a great safety
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
Originally posted by 707Niners:
1. Troy Polomalu
2. Ed Reed
3. Adrian Wilson
4. Donte Whitner
5. Earl Thomas
6. Dashon Goldson
7. Kam Chancellor
8. Nick Collins
9. Michael Griffin
10. Eric Berry


2. Ed Reed
1. Troy Polomalu
10. Eric Berry
5. Earl Thomas
6. Dashon Goldson
7. Kam Chancellor
3. Adrian Wilson
4. Donte Whitner
8. Nick Collins
9. Michael Griffin

Fixed

Really? I think Polomalu is hands down the best safety in the league. Don't get me wrong Ed Reed is a HOFer but Troy does Everything! He can sack the QB better then Reed, and I think his coverage skills are better as well.

This INT isn't that impressive but this was to seal the game and go win it for the Steelers. He knew exactly where the ball was going and jumped the route so early, look on any other YouTube highlight and its hard to even mention Goldson in the same class as him.
[ Edited by THEMerts80 on May 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM ]
Just because the amount of money the highest paid safety's get my answer is no. If he repeats last years numbers, than he might be worth it. Gotta pay Bowman soon though too
*_ Donte Whitner is not better than Dashon Goldson and to say Whitner is a top 10 safety? *cough* HOMER *cough* BIASED *cough*
*_ Dashon Goldson may not be a Top 5 but he could be a Top 10 but more accurately a Top 15
*_ I don't expect any team to offer Dashon Goldson a Top 5 contract so he'll want to stay with this unit.


[ Edited by H41L5ATAN on May 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM ]

He's obviously the biggest playmaker in the secondary. I wouldn't be mad if we pay him top 5 money. Pay the man!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home