There are 189 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
i know YOU are not accusing someone of "attacking posters"?.....and can you knock off adding those fake smileys, just to try to come off lightheartedly with your true intentions.

Again, I'll have to ask you to respect the WZ rules. That is yet another post that violates them.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
in this thread Goldson is blamed for the Tramaine Brock TD, and Goldson is blamed for almost killing Aldon Smith.

Also, Goldson is blamed for the Sproles TD, even though Dashon was the first person to miss him....5 yards from the LOS, and apparently the entire 9er defense was on the sideline during this time.

I wonder what Jim Harbaugh or our defensive coordinator would say if some 9er "fan" said this to their faces face.......lol.

The point being that Goldson is not a top tier safety who would have made those plays man. He is to blame for the Brock TD, if Brown is in there, that play is likely covered. The free safety is the last line of defense and Goldson plays out of position way too often to be considered one of the best. He lacks discipline and though it is something that can be improved upon, last year he blew as many plays as he made. He has absolutely no leverage, no one wanted him last year in free agency because of his asking price. He is a second tier safety and though he is one of the best of that second tier, it has yet to be determined if he is going to ever be any better.
that comment, along with you saying Baalke doesn't know s**t about QBs yesterday.....I mean, I don't know how anyone can take you serious.

way to attack the poster instead of simply debating the point.. which is valid..

i know YOU are not accusing someone of "attacking posters"?.....and can you knock off adding those fake smileys, just to try to come off lightheartedly with your true intentions.

Wow, it's a little early in the day to get this nasty, isn't it? I think it is a fair point that Goldson overplays a lot of opportunities, resulting in big gains for the offense. I think he is a good player, but there is no way, IMO, that he deserves top S money. Considering consistency, I would take Reed, Polamalu, Thomas, Charles Tillman, Griffin, Jairus Byrd (even Charles Woodson, who plays as more of a Nickle and/or S than a pure outside Cb these days) over Goldson, even he is a superior athlete to many of those guys. The fact that he is looking for top money for a second year in a row makes me wonder what we would get out of him when he gets the big payday. I don't consider it a coincidence that he just played two contract years, and those were the best years of his career.
Put this on the 9ers.com board but just throwing it out there...

There really aren't that many elite safeties in the league. Not many complete ones like Ronnie Lott. Here are some of the top safeties IMO and I put Goldson right up there or slightly below them.

Ed Reed (Dang near retired though, not in his prime anymore),
Troy Polamalu (not what he use to be),
Earl Thomas (really liked him coming out of the draft)
Eric Weddle, Kam Chancellor, Adrian Wilson, Eric Berry

So over Goldson I would take Polamalu, Weddle, Berry, Earl Thomas and maybe Chancellor or Wilson. Wouldn't take Reed because he doesn't have much time left and also not sure I would take Berry if you consider money as well because he is making 60 million. Still the way half these people act they would take every other safety in the league over him and then guys like Mark Roman, Keith Lewis, Michael Lewis, etc.

Guys who I would say Goldson is as good as but mostly better than: George Wilson, Glover Quin, Quintin Mikell, Tyvon Branch, Ryan Clark, Roman Harper, Jairus Byrd, Antrel Rolle, Danieal Manning, Kenny Phillips, Dawan Landry, Kerry Rhodes, TJ Ward, Louis Delmas, Malcolm Jenkins and LaRon Landry, Jim Leonard, Reggie Nelson, Patrick Chung, Dwight Lowery, Roy Williams, Taylor Mays, Chris Crocker, Brandon Meriweather, etc, etc

Edit: Forgot to add Michael Griffin who just got a 5 year 35 mil deal who I think Goldson is better than.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM ]
so what is the deadline for him to sign a long term deal?
i really hope he signs before the deadline i really liked him last year :(
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:

1pm
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:

Today at 4pm eastern
Just a side note. Tim McDonald played for us for 7 years and amassed 20 interceptions good for 13th alltime. He was not flashy, just a solid contributor on a regular and high character guy for years for us our SS. For the 5 years Dashon has been with us, he has amassed 17 picks so far. He's slightly more flashy, but still a solid contributor on a regular and is also a high character guy as our FS, even though we all agree he's out of position and should be our SS. Sure he gets burned on big plays, but what Safety hasn't gotten burned against Pass Happy Offenses in this league in recent years.

Goldson deserves Top 10 Money, no more no less.
^ I count 12 including playoffs unless you are including pre season? 6 plus 1 in playoffs this year, 1 the year before and 4 in 09. Either way not fair to say 5 years because the 1st 2 he only started 2 games.

Anyways, I agree with you though.

Yeah, people have to realize all safeties get burned in today's game. Too much passing not to. There aren't many if any Ronnie Lott complete safeties out there. Someone who can hit and play the run like a linebacker and cover like a corner. I get it Goldson isn't perfect but again there aren't many safeties in the league better than him. Also, again I have to bring up that it's not Goldson's fault teams are overpaying their players including safeties. It's becoming a bigger money position with all the passing. If you look at what safeties are getting Goldson really isn't asking much more than any other player of his caliber. One other reason I think people don't want to give Goldson the money is because they think if we do it means automatically Bowman is gone. I don't think that's necessarily true. He is signed for 2 more years and we can tag him for 2 years after that. So we have 4 years to work out a deal. We can re-work players contracts if need be and the cap should go up big time in a few years. To me it's not worth possibly wrecking the entire defense over one player. I don't want to risk it over any other S we have backing up Goldson and if we draft someone we will most likely have to use a 1st round pick and there is no guarantee they will work out. A LOT of rookie DBs/S struggle early on. It's one of the difficult positions to adjust to coming into the NFL.
deadline is looming less than a hour away
I personally think Goldson is a top 5 free safety, and I think he is still on the rise. He hits like a linebacker, covers like a corner, and is usually around the ball making plays. Comparing him to other players who have gotten deals, I think he compares favorably to Michael Griffin (who got 5 years, $36M.) He had more INT's and passes defensed. I wouldn't give Goldson 5 years, $40M, but I would give him 5 years, $37M broken down as follows::

2012 $8.0M
2013 $8.0M
2014 $7.0M
2015 $7.0M
2016 $7.0M

Guaranteed: $16.0M

This gives Goldson the $8M a year (that he is seeking) for the next two years, which would arguably be his most productive seasons.
Goldson is insane for not taking the previous offer. I like the guy and everything, but he needs to prove himself before getting paid more than every other safety in the league.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I personally think Goldson is a top 5 free safety, and I think he is still on the rise. He hits like a linebacker, covers like a corner, and is usually around the ball making plays. Comparing him to other players who have gotten deals, I think he compares favorably to Michael Griffin (who got 5 years, $36M.) He had more INT's and passes defensed. I wouldn't give Goldson 5 years, $40M, but I would give him 5 years, $37M broken down as follows::

2012 $8.0M
2013 $8.0M
2014 $7.0M
2015 $7.0M
2016 $7.0M

Guaranteed: $16.0M

This gives Goldson the $8M a year (that he is seeking) for the next two years, which would arguably be his most productive seasons.

I wouldn't go over 6mill per and I would back load the deal so we have wiggle room now....we are OVER the cap for 2013.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/No-multi-year-deal-for-Goldson?blockID=741142&feedID=5936
"There will not be a long-term deal for Dashon," agent Ben Dogra, who represents Goldson, told CSNBayArea.com via text message.

I think Dashon is crazy for walking away from the deal but I am thinking he isn't even there and told his agent to get me x million or walk away.

The 49ers also reserve the right to tag Goldson as their franchise player again next season. The team could lock up Goldson for the 2013 season at $7.45 million -- 120 percent of his 2012 salary.

I'd tag him again if no long term deal but I bet he would hold out. If we got him in 2013 for that price I'd be happy and then probably let him go. He would be 30 or so by the time he'd be a free agent in 2014.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/No-multi-year-deal-for-Goldson?blockID=741142&feedID=5936
"There will not be a long-term deal for Dashon," agent Ben Dogra, who represents Goldson, told CSNBayArea.com via text message.

I think Dashon is crazy for walking away from the deal but I am thinking he isn't even there and told his agent to get me x million or walk away.

The 49ers also reserve the right to tag Goldson as their franchise player again next season. The team could lock up Goldson for the 2013 season at $7.45 million -- 120 percent of his 2012 salary.

I'd tag him again if no long term deal but I bet he would hold out. If we got him in 2013 for that price I'd be happy and then probably let him go. He would be 30 or so by the time he'd be a free agent in 2014.

Oh man, that's awesome news then. Even better than I thought. Yep. Tag him on a year by year, and likely wave g'bye after 2013. Donatell can develop a replacement by then.