LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 137 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by Whomeam:
didn't like Goldson at all going into last season, but he showed why he deserves the money. He's extremely good and he's only going to get better. We need to sign him, either today or heading into next season.

Franklin once showed this as well.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
didn't like Goldson at all going into last season, but he showed why he deserves the money. He's extremely good and he's only going to get better. We need to sign him, either today or heading into next season.

Franklin once showed this as well.

Two things that this difficult. The first is that he did not get a bite in free agency last year. It might be hard for the front office to justify a large contract when it may be that no one else would pay him the contract he wants. He did have a better year last year, so that certainly helps his case. With the flat salary cap expected, the front office should be careful committing to large dollars over the longer term.

On the other side, it is hard to find a good safety that knows the system well. It is very difficult to draft someone and expect him to start right away. Also, there were a lot of franchised safeties this year, and the range has pretty much been set. We apparently have only two free agents next year who are starters, so we should have some flexibility. The next year, we have a few more (I read 7) and have to start thinking about extending some of younger guys like Aldon, Iupati etc.
It's over guaranteed money. It usually is. Per year numbers aren't as important to the agents.
... and yes, there ARE positive words about Dashon in the article as well.

They obviously feel that Goldson is the best free safety on the team, but they think he's more in line with the second tier of NFL safeties. The subtext of all this: It's not our problem if the Giants and Chargers overvalued Rolle and Weddle.

While Goldson's aggression fits San Francisco's physical and punishing personality on defense, it also has gotten him into trouble. He was burned for critical touchdowns in last year's loss to Arizona, he overran the play on a late touchdown pass to Darren Sproles against New Orleans in the playoffs, and he crashed into cornerback Tarell Brown on what would have been an easy interception in the championship game against the Giants. Brown had to leave the game, and his replacement, Tramaine Brock, was in coverage on the Giants' final touchdown.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/07/deadline-approaches-what-is-goldson-worth.html#storylink=cpy

We should pay Goldson, just how much I don't know. He's certainly earned it in my book. He's prooved his worth to the defense, and he seems to get better and better each year. But personal, I think whether or not we re-sign Goldson to what Goldson wants depends largely on how Trent Robinson comes along. I think the FO and coaching staff are biding time to give Robinson time to develop. If he shows promise I think the FO will look to gamble and allow Goldson to walk. If Robinson is the typical rookie and struggles a little I think the FO is gonna be hard-pressed to give into Goldson's demands. Personally I don't think Goldson is as replaceable as they may think. It seems to me that FO's around the league are really starting to de-value players. (I don't have evidence to back that up, it's just a feeling I get.) I could be wrong about this, and in fact I hope I am. That is a dangerous game I hope the FO isn't playing. But I don't put it past them. It is a business.

The FO is taking a serious gamble in my book. If Goldson balls out-of-control this season he's gonna command top safety dollar- Ft. KNox - much more than what's been reported they offered him, and I couldn't say I'd blame him. And if that happens I think he's a goner for sure. This FO is a bit frugal and jumpy about overpaying players. I think we should pay him now while the getting is good.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
We should pay Goldson, just how much I don't know. He's certainly earned it in my book. He's prooved his worth to the defense, and he seems to get better and better each year. But personal, I think whether or not we re-sign Goldson to what Goldson wants depends largely on how Trent Robinson comes along. I think the FO and coaching staff are biding time to give Robinson time to develop. If he shows promise I think the FO will look to gamble and allow Goldson to walk. If Robinson is the typical rookie and struggles a little I think the FO is gonna be hard-pressed to give into Goldson's demands. Personally I don't think Goldson is as replaceable as they may think. It seems to me that FO's around the league are really starting to de-value players. (I don't have evidence to back that up, it's just a feeling I get.) I could be wrong about this, and in fact I hope I am. That is a dangerous game I hope the FO isn't playing. But I don't put it past them. It is a business.

The FO is taking a serious gamble in my book. If Goldson balls out-of-control this season he's gonna command top safety dollar- Ft. KNox - much more than what's been reported they offered him, and I couldn't say I'd blame him. And if that happens I think he's a goner for sure. This FO is a bit frugal and jumpy about overpaying players. I think we should pay him now while the getting is good.

What's the risk? He's already demanding that. THAT is the problem. They think he's a top 10 safety...but not a top 3...and that's how he wants to get paid.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
work something out gat damnit!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
work something out gat damnit!

always the voice of reason.
in this thread Goldson is blamed for the Tramaine Brock TD, and Goldson is blamed for almost killing Aldon Smith.

Also, Goldson is blamed for the Sproles TD, even though Dashon was the first person to miss him....5 yards from the LOS, and apparently the entire 9er defense was on the sideline during this time.

I wonder what Jim Harbaugh or our defensive coordinator would say if some 9er "fan" said this to their faces face.......lol.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Under the new CBA, we can tag him again next year, right? Wasn't that one of the hurdles with Brees' contract?

110% correct. Basically the Niners have rights to Goldson
2012 6.9 million
2013 I think it is like a 20% raise, so 8 .5 million.

So Parage is like, we have you for two years 17 million with only 6.9 million guaranteed (because if he does not play well or gets injured he will not be back in 2013>

The leverage is in the 9ers corner. Goldson is not a Brees where he IS the franchise. No ill will towards front office for being smart.

So Goldson would then be 30 yrs old by the time both tags are finished off. Works for me.
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
having Goldson and Whitner as our safety net is a liability?

Jesus Christ I swear some forget how our secondary was when it was Mark Roman paired with Micheal Lewis or Keith Lewis...or Goldson paired Micheal Lewis...... or Whitner paired Reggie Smith.

how many times have we been beaten in coverage for big plays or over the top with both Goldson and Whitner starting, enough for you to say they are a liability? How many times has Goldson been beat over the top? (heck I remember getting an INT in the endzone on a deep pass)

the one time where he got beat "deep" was when he was in perfect position to get an INT and Larry Fitzgerald (mind you one of the two best jump up and get it receivers) kneed him on the side and just snatched it from Goldson....an amazing play by Fitzgerald.

should Goldson have knocked that down? Our defensive mentality is to get turnovers, especially with our unassertive offense...and we have done a great job getting turnovers, including Goldson...he saw an opportunity, but Fitzgerald is just THAT GOOD.

but again, even that play was not getting beat over the top. There are way more insistence where Goldson and Whitner have made plays in coverage, compared to plays where they gave up big plays...to where you would want to consider them a liability.... Micheal Lewis, Keith Lewis, Mark Roman, Reggie Smith...they were liablities. On third downs, teams used to always go after Micheal Lewis to complete something.

There is a reason why our defense played great as a team last year....there were not many players on the field that were a liability...in previous years that was the case.

I'd hang the Manningham TD on him, since her kersmashed TBrown (negating an easy INT), forcing Brock into the game, which Eli exploited. He also almost fried Aldon's nugget on a scramble that Aldon already had contained in the AZ game. My problem with Goldson is that he plays like the big hit is always the answer, and that doesn't always fit into the big scheme of the game. Gotta play smarter and be more aware as the FS. Gotta play team ball.

Watch the replay, it was T.Browns fault, not the other way around

Seriously? It was TBrown's fault for covering his guy, fighting for superior position, elevating for an easy INT, and getting smashed by his teammate who consistently plays like he is the only guy in the secondary? When Mark Roman was doing the same thing (running into teammates who had already lined up an INT) people wanted him dead, but Goldson runs faster and hits hard, so it must be someone else's fault.
@Jakemall
What's the risk? He's already demanding that. THAT is the problem. They think he's a top 10 safety...but not a top 3...and that's how he wants to get paid.

Oh I agree. But I think they are de-valuing him. Top 10 money, in my mind, under pays Goldson. He's at least a top 5. How many safety's are better than him? I'm not saying they should give him Ft. Knox, but they should pay him at least like a top 5 safety.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
in this thread Goldson is blamed for the Tramaine Brock TD, and Goldson is blamed for almost killing Aldon Smith.

Also, Goldson is blamed for the Sproles TD, even though Dashon was the first person to miss him....5 yards from the LOS, and apparently the entire 9er defense was on the sideline during this time.

I wonder what Jim Harbaugh or our defensive coordinator would say if some 9er "fan" said this to their faces face.......lol.

The point being that Goldson is not a top tier safety who would have made those plays man. He is to blame for the Brock TD, if Brown is in there, that play is likely covered. The free safety is the last line of defense and Goldson plays out of position way too often to be considered one of the best. He lacks discipline and though it is something that can be improved upon, last year he blew as many plays as he made. He has absolutely no leverage, no one wanted him last year in free agency because of his asking price. He is a second tier safety and though he is one of the best of that second tier, it has yet to be determined if he is going to ever be any better.
I don't want to see the team throw too much money at him and not be able to sign Bowman. Although considering the team doesn't have as much money tied up in a QB as a lot teams I guess there is more to go around. I think Goldson is replaceable.
Share 49ersWebzone