LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Will he not take 4 years 28 mil? Seems fair to me...
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Will he not take 4 years 28 mil? Seems fair to me...

Sure, what part of that is guaranteed...
I think $7 mil a year is pretty good money for a top 5 safety but Goldson wants $8 mil.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
in this thread Goldson is blamed for the Tramaine Brock TD, and Goldson is blamed for almost killing Aldon Smith.

Also, Goldson is blamed for the Sproles TD, even though Dashon was the first person to miss him....5 yards from the LOS, and apparently the entire 9er defense was on the sideline during this time.

I wonder what Jim Harbaugh or our defensive coordinator would say if some 9er "fan" said this to their faces face.......lol.

The point being that Goldson is not a top tier safety who would have made those plays man. He is to blame for the Brock TD, if Brown is in there, that play is likely covered. The free safety is the last line of defense and Goldson plays out of position way too often to be considered one of the best. He lacks discipline and though it is something that can be improved upon, last year he blew as many plays as he made. He has absolutely no leverage, no one wanted him last year in free agency because of his asking price. He is a second tier safety and though he is one of the best of that second tier, it has yet to be determined if he is going to ever be any better.
that comment, along with you saying Baalke doesn't know s**t about QBs yesterday.....I mean, I don't know how anyone can take you serious.
in this thread Goldson is blamed for the Tramaine Brock TD, and Goldson is blamed for almost killing Aldon Smith.

Also, Goldson is blamed for the Sproles TD, even though Dashon was the first person to miss him....5 yards from the LOS, and apparently the entire 9er defense was on the sideline during this time.

I wonder what Jim Harbaugh or our defensive coordinator would say if some 9er "fan" said this to their faces face.......lol.

The point being that Goldson is not a top tier safety who would have made those plays man. He is to blame for the Brock TD, if Brown is in there, that play is likely covered. The free safety is the last line of defense and Goldson plays out of position way too often to be considered one of the best. He lacks discipline and though it is something that can be improved upon, last year he blew as many plays as he made. He has absolutely no leverage, no one wanted him last year in free agency because of his asking price. He is a second tier safety and though he is one of the best of that second tier, it has yet to be determined if he is going to ever be any better.
that comment, along with you saying Baalke doesn't know s**t about QBs yesterday.....I mean, I don't know how anyone can take you serious.

way to attack the poster instead of simply debating the point.. which is valid..
I like the way Goldson plays, aside from the lapses in coverage from time to time. But the guy can flat out play and there's no denying that. If the FO dont plan to sign him long term with Top 10 money then they better look to find a replacement and start developing him quick, cus I can see Goldson leaving next year when the FO decides not to franchise him.
Sadly, this reminds me of the Lance Schulters negotiations from about a decade ago.

and look at him now...

http://www.rantsports.com/tennessee-titans/2012/07/10/ex-tennessee-titans-player-lance-schulters-arrested-on-domestic-charges/

Not suggesting Goldson will have any domestic problems but as you can see, Schulters had one or two good seasons with the 49ers and then demanded top money. He never was that elite player and became just another journeyman in the NFL.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

way to attack the poster instead of simply debating the point.. which is valid..

i know YOU are not accusing someone of "attacking posters"?.....and can you knock off adding those fake smileys, just to try to come off lightheartedly with your true intentions.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Sadly, this reminds me of the Lance Schulters negotiations from about a decade ago.

and look at him now...

http://www.rantsports.com/tennessee-titans/2012/07/10/ex-tennessee-titans-player-lance-schulters-arrested-on-domestic-charges/

Not suggesting Goldson will have any domestic problems but as you can see, Schulters had one or two good seasons with the 49ers and then demanded top money. He never was that elite player and became just another journeyman in the NFL.

Yep. No one knows for sure, but Goldson's got that personality about him that could frighten a GM away from handing him tons of guaranteed money on a long-term deal. I feel better about us going the 6+ mil route on a year by year basis. If Donatell feels he can develop Robinson, Spillman, or some other FS to replace Goldson in 2013 or 2014? Hey, more power to him.
i know YOU are not accusing someone of "attacking posters"?.....and can you knock off adding those fake smileys, just to try to come off lightheartedly with your true intentions.

Again, I'll have to ask you to respect the WZ rules. That is yet another post that violates them.

Originally posted by oldman9er:

Wow, it's a little early in the day to get this nasty, isn't it? I think it is a fair point that Goldson overplays a lot of opportunities, resulting in big gains for the offense. I think he is a good player, but there is no way, IMO, that he deserves top S money. Considering consistency, I would take Reed, Polamalu, Thomas, Charles Tillman, Griffin, Jairus Byrd (even Charles Woodson, who plays as more of a Nickle and/or S than a pure outside Cb these days) over Goldson, even he is a superior athlete to many of those guys. The fact that he is looking for top money for a second year in a row makes me wonder what we would get out of him when he gets the big payday. I don't consider it a coincidence that he just played two contract years, and those were the best years of his career.
Put this on the 9ers.com board but just throwing it out there...

There really aren't that many elite safeties in the league. Not many complete ones like Ronnie Lott. Here are some of the top safeties IMO and I put Goldson right up there or slightly below them.

Ed Reed (Dang near retired though, not in his prime anymore),
Troy Polamalu (not what he use to be),
Earl Thomas (really liked him coming out of the draft)
Eric Weddle, Kam Chancellor, Adrian Wilson, Eric Berry

So over Goldson I would take Polamalu, Weddle, Berry, Earl Thomas and maybe Chancellor or Wilson. Wouldn't take Reed because he doesn't have much time left and also not sure I would take Berry if you consider money as well because he is making 60 million. Still the way half these people act they would take every other safety in the league over him and then guys like Mark Roman, Keith Lewis, Michael Lewis, etc.

Guys who I would say Goldson is as good as but mostly better than: George Wilson, Glover Quin, Quintin Mikell, Tyvon Branch, Ryan Clark, Roman Harper, Jairus Byrd, Antrel Rolle, Danieal Manning, Kenny Phillips, Dawan Landry, Kerry Rhodes, TJ Ward, Louis Delmas, Malcolm Jenkins and LaRon Landry, Jim Leonard, Reggie Nelson, Patrick Chung, Dwight Lowery, Roy Williams, Taylor Mays, Chris Crocker, Brandon Meriweather, etc, etc

Edit: Forgot to add Michael Griffin who just got a 5 year 35 mil deal who I think Goldson is better than.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM ]
so what is the deadline for him to sign a long term deal?
i really hope he signs before the deadline i really liked him last year :(
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
so what is the deadline for him to sign a long term deal?
i really hope he signs before the deadline i really liked him last year :(

1pm
Share 49ersWebzone