There are 43 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Goldson is seeking a contract with an annual average of $8 million, a source told CSNBayArea.com. He is scheduled to earn $6.212 on a one-year franchise tender. The 49ers probably are not be willing to go more than $7 million per year, the source said.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Goldsons-absence-opens-door-for-Plans-B-?blockID=719112&feedID=5936

Way to much. He isn't worth that much, he isnt a Ed Reed, Polamalu those guys are 8M a yr guys, Goldson is no more than 6M IMO. He had one great season after getting no attention in 2011 offseason.

If I had the chance to run the 49ers I would extend Justin Smith first, then Bowman. Goldson is replaceable. So many good Safeties in 2013 draft class. Robert Lester, Ray Ray Armstrong, Baccari Rambo, etc...

I have no issue addressing Goldson, if it helps this years cap a little, but I wouldn't pay more than 6M a yr.
How sloppy is this article? -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299021e/article/report-dashon-goldson-49ers-separated-by-1m

First, he says that the player and the team are NOT far apart, but the amount is (allegedly) $1M Per.... that's about a 13-15% difference annually.

Second, he says that Donatell IS losing sleep when coach's quotes make it clear that he is NOT stressing.

Paying him that much is going to ripple thru the team. They have decent reserves past Spillman and Robinson with Nelms and Holcomb. I would trade him for draft picks.
He's definitely not worth 8 mill and not even 7 mill. 6 would be the max for me if I was the FO. I'd rather not sign him to a long term deal and just let him play on the tag this year and that will give these younger safeties another year under their belt then let him go when the season is over and give that money to bowman.
It sucks not having a safety. Seriously it's huge. Remember Mark Roman? Or better yet remember the Cowboy game? Yea that was because we had no safety. I'm not sure if he is worth 8 mil. Hopefully we can meet in the middle around 7.5 or something. We have a lot of players that we will not be able to keep coming in the next few years...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I didn't think we should have franchised him personally. he's not worth that kind of money IMO. Dude plays reckless. Correct me if i'm wrong but that Giants game didn't he cost us like 2 int's by taking out his own men? including injuring Brown(i think it was Brown), which left Tramaine Brock getting beat for what was the game clinching TD?

Bottom line is he costs us as much as he helps us. Kind of like Kwame Harris did. Just like Harris, we only focus on the big plays. It just so happens that this board focus' on his good big plays and not his bad ones.

**EDIT** I believe it was the Giants game tying TD at the end of the 3rd quarter in which he knocked Brown out and forced Brock to try and cover Manningham.
[ Edited by krizay on Jun 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM ]
naw. let him get that money elsewhere. We can do without. I'll miss him tho.
lets get rambo next year
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
naw. let him get that money elsewhere. We can do without. I'll miss him tho.

Yea I will too if we don't pay it. He might just not get an extension with us. I just hated watching us lose to the Cowboys because of that other f**king back up safety. Spillman is the second right? He's the super athletic one?
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Yea I will too if we don't pay it. He might just not get an extension with us. I just hated watching us lose to the Cowboys because of that other f**king back up safety. Spillman is the second right? He's the super athletic one?

i dont know if hes second string (richardson may be after TC) but ya hes the athlethic one

richardson is supposed to be pretty good
I like D. Goldson. I really do. I think we'd miss him if we loose him next season. But $8mil a year?!?! Man that's a hard number. I think he should take what the FO is offering. The 49ers do have options, and I hate to say that. Unless he goes to a contender his best chance at winning is with us. I could see a team like the Patriots paying that much.
LOL @ Goldson. Really? Come on dude. No way is he worth that and the 49ers would be stupid for paying him that much.
Apparently we are offering 7 mill right now which I think is to high. I like Dashon but these hold outs are getting annoying. He's only had one good year granted he has been getting better since they gave him the started position. In my eyes he's worth 5 to 6.5 mill a year at the most, something around that ballpark...
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ajanke:

Backup safety? I could have sworn it was DONTE WHITNER who gave up the big play to Holly that set up the game winning FG......
It was whitner that gave up that play
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home