LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by faithful4eva:
Have to agree. Goldson is definitely worth Brooks money if not more. He was huge for us last year and has only been getting better. I wish he would just sign the tender and get into camp though. If he plays well he will earn his contract and still get paid this year.

yikes. That's alot of dough for a player who did not show up the year before.

True. But he would be worth it if he showed up for many years to come. The optimal situation is he signs the tender and earns his contract.
[ Edited by faithful4eva on May 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM ]
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Have to agree. Goldson is definitely worth Brooks money if not more. He was huge for us last year and has only been getting better. I wish he would just sign the tender and get into camp though. If he plays well he will earn his contract and still get paid this year.

yikes. That's alot of dough for a player who did not show up the year before.

True. But he would be worth it if he showed up for many years to come. The optimal situation is he signs the tender and earns his contract.

I agree he can be good & show up for years to come. I never expected him to be Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu calibur. But he will be one of the best safeties in the league in our system for a long time to come. I don't think we can replace him as easy as many people on here seem to think. This is the nature of the business; he may not be the best, but he plays well and deserves to get paid. If we need to make him the highest paid safety so be it...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AlohaBruh:
Hell no! He's good but not top 5. One solid year, that's is. Our D makes everyone look like a top 5 player, we ain't dishing everyone top dollar.

Get real Goldson, if your that good play one more year prove it then leave.

Rather save the money and extend Bowman after the season.
+1.

Goldson can play for the 6.2 this season and kick rocks after the season if he wants weddle money.
He's not worth it. Makes big plays. Gives up big plays. He's worth about what we offered last year. If he doesn't want to take it, that's on him. We have him one more year and he's not anywhere near irreplaceable like Justin or Aldon or 52/53.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on May 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM ]
Originally posted by hateroids84:
I agree he can be good & show up for years to come. I never expected him to be Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu calibur. But he will be one of the best safeties in the league in our system for a long time to come. I don't think we can replace him as easy as many people on here seem to think. This is the nature of the business; he may not be the best, but he plays well and deserves to get paid. If we need to make him the highest paid safety so be it...

He was a league leader in big plays given up. He's not as good as people think.
The Bucs would have given him 40 million if he was a free agent this year. I remember before we played them they were talking up Goldson like they already knew they were having a crap year and were preparing to sign a bunch of guys. Personally 5 years 25 million is about right. He made some good plays in the New Orleans game that helped us win. Then again, with limited needs and our team depth now we can give this guy one more year under the tender and go after the top safety in the next draft.
Goldson is replaceable IMO.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MILFS:

I agree. With our pass rush, we do not need to pay a non-elite safety like Goldson top dollar.
Originally posted by flow:
Originally posted by MILFS:

I agree. With our pass rush, we do not need to pay a non-elite safety like Goldson top dollar.

This. Ballke won't overpay, he'll sign his tender play one year and go rob some other team.

I'd rather save that money to use towards locking up bowman
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They offered him 5 years $25 million last year.... And he will make above $6 million this year. And above $6 million average on a long term deal very likely. And he's worth that. You don't have to pay him $7 - $8 million. But $6 plus he will likely get and he is worth that.

I agree with this....he should get $6M+ plus incentives based on production...he is big hitter, but he does not get a lot of INT's, not even, a lot of defensed passes.
He's gonna be gone after this season. You can't afford to keep everybody in the salary cap era.
You'd think Goldson would've learned his lesson last off-season...and came back to the Niners for a bargain salary. One good year doesn't equate to equaling the highest paid S in the league, Weddle, who's already way overpaid.
I think that our team's money would be better spent on extending NaVarro Bowman's contract. For all the great plays, people seem to forget that Dashon injured Tarell Brown on what probably would've been a Niners interception if he had looked to see who he was decapitating. Then he disrupted a Carlos Rogers int in progress. And these were both potentially game-changing plays against the Giants in the NFC Championship!
Share 49ersWebzone