There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kilgore working at Center with the 1st team

It looks as if the Niners have a systematic plan for handling the Oline. They have a lot of players already in place and Kilgore or Looney will be the backup or the starter at Center somewhere in the near future. Or they could just let a good thing alone and let Goodwin play out his contract, let Kilgore/Looney develop even more and not draft anyone for the Oline this year.
Schwenke from Cal is also on the radar.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
It looks as if the Niners have a systematic plan for handling the Oline. They have a lot of players already in place and Kilgore or Looney will be the backup or the starter at Center somewhere in the near future. Or they could just let a good thing alone and let Goodwin play out his contract, let Kilgore/Looney develop even more and not draft anyone for the Oline this year.

Only OL I would draft is if they don't want to reshuffle the ol around if a tackle goes down. So draft a 3rd tackle that would come in so Boone can stay at guard. Either way he could be the swing backup tackle or we could draft a 3rd tackle. I am fine with not drafting anybody if they are fine with boone playing the swing and Kilgore coming in at RG. I am assuming Looney is the future at center. If him or Kilgore isn't the future at C I would definitely draft someone as Goodwin will probably be gone after this year.

Side note: Goodwin and Looney are very similar... 6'3" for both 318 and 309... both a little softer... not the strongest guys. Smart football guys which is needed for a center
After the Niners selected him, head coach Jim Harbaugh said he believes Looney eventually will be an NFL starter. And he and Baalke had been wowed by him in his interview at last year's NFL Combine.

"Really bright guy," Harbaugh said of Looney. "Really smart, smart person. Not only book smart, but street smart, football smart."
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only OL I would draft is if they don't want to reshuffle the ol around if a tackle goes down. So draft a 3rd tackle that would come in so Boone can stay at guard. Either way he could be the swing backup tackle or we could draft a 3rd tackle. I am fine with not drafting anybody if they are fine with boone playing the swing and Kilgore coming in at RG. I am assuming Looney is the future at center. If him or Kilgore isn't the future at C I would definitely draft someone as Goodwin will probably be gone after this year.

I like it. In rd 5, go get the next OSU lineman in Reid Fragel.
  • kent
  • Veteran
I think the 49ers will continue drafting OL in the early/mid rounds. Their current line is being talked about as the best in the NFL. That is a good thing but I imagine it foreshadows players getting big paydays from other teams a couple years from now. Davis might be extended now for a moderate deal. I doubt that is possible for Iupati already.

Great extension of Boone, btw.
https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/439131742239092736

@MaioccoCSN Hearing that the 49ers are closing in on a contract extension with C Daniel Kilgore.
https://twitter.com/49ers/status/439133422985154560

@49ers #49ers signed G/C @DanielKilgore67 to 3-year contract extension through 2017 season.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
https://twitter.com/49ers/status/439133422985154560

@49ers #49ers signed G/C @DanielKilgore67 to 3-year contract extension through 2017 season.

as expected
Looks like the same thing they did with Ian Williams as a replacement to Sopoaga. He came up through the ranks and was ready to become the starting nose tackle so it would seem that is the same scenario with Kilgore supplanting Goodwin.
Looks like we're going to go with Kilgore and possibly trade for Jonathan Martin -

TURRON DAVENPORT ‏@TDavenport_BSN 29m
According to a source at Miami international airport, a flight to Miami has been chartered by John York & Trent Baalke set to land at 18:00.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Looks like we're going to go with Kilgore and possibly trade for Jonathan Martin -

According to a source at Miami international airport, a flight to Miami has been chartered by John York & Trent Baalke set to land at 18:00.

Why the hell would John York be going? That guy needs to stay clear the hell away from everything. Okay well, I guess unless it was for some medical reason since he is a doctor but he's not the team physician so that wouldn't make any sense either.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Why the hell would John York be going? That guy needs to stay clear the hell away from everything.

Edit: Nm John York, not Jed.
[ Edited by Disp on Feb 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM ]

Why the hell would John York be going? That guy needs to stay clear the hell away from everything. Okay well, I guess unless it was for some medical reason since he is a doctor but he's not the team physician so that wouldn't make any sense either.

Probably a typo. Then again, John owns the private jet. I guess Harbaugh wasn't invited. Uh ohhhhhh. Hahaha
  • sfout
  • Veteran

lol this is only going to fan the flames.

In all seriousness...the rest of the twitter convo talks about Boldin living in Miami and Kap training there so it doesn't necessarily connect with Martin.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

lol this is only going to fan the flames.

In all seriousness...the rest of the twitter convo talks about Boldin living in Miami and Kap training there so it doesn't necessarily connect with Martin.

like the only thing in Miami is the Dolphins..lol
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home