• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Alex Smith Pro-bowler

Wow so hes gonna do both huh??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
AJ jenkins will be a starter , Moss will get cut , James will be our 3rd down Back Gore & Hunter will split the 1st & 2nd down. Short yardage will go to to the guy we picked up from the Gints if he makes the roster. Alex on a very short leash .
Let us take a calm approach to the kid ..At last report he was setting down with ice around his legs cuz he was out of shape and moss was gliding along like a 25 year old in practice.Not sure why so many have zero faith in moss around here. We have three good wideouts right now with crabtree and our two free agents. There is no reason to rush the kid in there as there is an adjustment with alot of rookie wide outs in the nfl.If he tears it up this summer I will change my mind but at this point in time, there is no reason to think he will be a starter and moss will be cut. the kid needs to get in shape before he can think about beating out a hall of famer who looked very very good in the mini camp thing they did. There is no short leash for alex despite what some of you wish for. after what he did last year in terms of on the field production and leadership he does not have to look over his shoulder,, esp with the quality of backups we have in that spot.Please educate me on the logical reasons why alex is on a so called short leash... and you better have something better than,,"cuz he sux"
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Could see this happening if they are really high on Person or another young guy at OT, but to give up the experience would be a huge loss. I agree though that Staley is over rated and I really don't know that his clown show is good for the team. Some guys can goof and get everyone to relax, Staley may be taking it too far. He and Iupati had some heated looks last year as Staley indicated Iupati was doing something wrong...never show up a team mate on the field, in front of the fans!

One of the main disconnects on the left side is that Iupati rarely gives up ANY ground to a pass rusher, as Staley drops back and kicks out, it leaves a dangerous inside lane for edge rushers to move into. It makes it almost twice as hard for him. I figure that gets fixed this year. I think all these guys are actually pretty tight on and off the field.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm not so sure your statement, "Lets make no mistake about this, the coaches BADLY want to get Boone on the field" is accurate. I think they would be more than happy to have him continue as the swing tackle for the team. Winning the RG spot would be gravy for him personally, but if your statement is true, then the team probably wouldn't have drafted Looney, and/or the team would have dealt Staley or Davis before the draft.

Teams rarely trade players right before the season begins, since they don't receive compensation until the following year.

As for Staley, I think you greatly undervalue his play. While I concede that he is not Pro-Bowl material, he is better than average, and it would seem incredibly unlikely the team would unload him and place an unproven player at the most critical position on the OL.

Sorry, but call me a skeptic that the team wants him on the field BADLY. I don't buy it.
In my opinion, the team and fans need to be more worried about getting that right gaurd thing fixed as compared to getting rid of someone like staley and creating a problem where it does not exsist
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Defenses won't like covering the following:

Crabtree .........X X X X X V.Davis................ Moss

........................A. Smith
..............Gore ................L. James

Yeah AND you can have both Hunter and James in the backfield at the same time as well (for outlets). Hunter can block pretty well too and is becoming a more complete back with every day. Having an OL that can hold up and Hunter/James flaring out, LBers would have nightmares trying to match up esp. with the cleared-out space Moss, VD & Manningham/Jenkins could provide. This would be just as effective running the ball as well (inside the T's or off-T).
I would hate it ... motion one of the RB's into the slot, run a draw, throw to James in the flat behind Davis and Moss, run Moss and Davis deep and hit Crabtree on a route over the middle or just let Alex run it. Yikes.
Lets make no mistake about this, the coaches BADLY want to get Boone on the field and with as poor of an OL we had last year (44 sacks, lead the league in QB pressures under 3 seconds, poor short yardage team, horrendous 1st and 3rd down %'s, etc.), I have no doubt this OL will be under heavy scrutiny this offseason and many combinations will be tried.

Staley has never been a guy who has ever been challenged for his position. I agree with FO and other sites after reviewing tape of Staley all year long that he was well below average and a bigger issue than fans realize which was only magnified by his pro bowl birth. He gave up quite a few key sacks, a lot of hits/pressures and was typically destroyed 1x1 in the run-game and that was WITH a ton of help from Iupati sliding over to help on virtually every snap. He is a big reason we rarely run off-tackle to his side. That said, he's very athletic, has a great attitude and work ethic and nobody is better at blocking down field on the run.

I think with plenty of tape to review, including last year's performance, we genuinely could see Staley challenged by Boone who does appear stronger, just as athletic and hungry as Staley. He's ready and like so many last year (Brooks, Brown, Aldon, Bowman, etc.) he just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow.

If, and it's a BIG IF, Kilgore or another owns the RG spot, I could see a bold prediction of Boone winning a T spot, Staley being traded for a high pick and us nabbing a FA veteran as insurance. It's unlikely but given the microscope this OL will be under with a full offseason of assessments and how badly this coaching staff wants Boone on the field, I wouldn't be shocked at all. Either way, I'd personally like to see Staley genuinely challenged for the first time in his career.

I'm not so sure your statement, "Lets make no mistake about this, the coaches BADLY want to get Boone on the field" is accurate. I think they would be more than happy to have him continue as the swing tackle for the team. Winning the RG spot would be gravy for him personally, but if your statement is true, then the team probably wouldn't have drafted Looney, and/or the team would have dealt Staley or Davis before the draft.

Teams rarely trade players right before the season begins, since they don't receive compensation until the following year.

As for Staley, I think you greatly undervalue his play. While I concede that he is not Pro-Bowl material, he is better than average, and it would seem incredibly unlikely the team would unload him and place an unproven player at the most critical position on the OL.

Sorry, but call me a skeptic that the team wants him on the field BADLY. I don't buy it.

This is most likely true (hence the bold prediction). It is highly unlikely.

That said, I believe Boone is getting courtesy snaps at RG and think the real competition will be between Kilgore and Looney with Slowey backing up Goodwin. I think they loved the versatility in Snyder last year and see the value of a swing T who could pinch inside if needed (in case we had another Chilo episode).

I have certainly heard nothing but praise towards Boone and he did get snaps at LT last year and did well there off the bench. I think by giving him a shot at RG also speaks volumes also. I think the coaches do want him on the field and part of the best 5 but RG probably won't be it. I have a feeling we will see all sorts of combinations this off season. Perhaps the best would be Boone pushing Staley with Kilgore/Looney battling at RG or Davis moving to RG and Boone getting looks at RT (or LT with Staley moving to RT). I heard Harbaugh talking about wanting to keep continuity (not a lot of changes in positions) but I don't buy it (although I understand the importance of continuity alone the OL)! And contrary to Harbaugh, I "do" see Boone's stance and height being an issue at G.

I think with the emphasis of speedsters such as Hunter/James, this team will place a premium on T's who can seal the edges effectively and consistently and disallow defenses to stack the box with 8-9 guys (run blitzing) for the predictable runs in between the T's (ala Gore). And that is not Staley's strength IMO (or in short yardage). He seemed to need a lot of help from Iupati last year which also put pressure on Goodwin and gaps to his left. I think Staley is serviceable but we could use a big upgrade or a guy like Boone genuinely pushing him for the first time in his career - we do know how much this coaching staff loves competition!
Alex Smith will have two 300 yard games this season.
Originally posted by Lunchwagon:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Could see this happening if they are really high on Person or another young guy at OT, but to give up the experience would be a huge loss. I agree though that Staley is over rated and I really don't know that his clown show is good for the team. Some guys can goof and get everyone to relax, Staley may be taking it too far. He and Iupati had some heated looks last year as Staley indicated Iupati was doing something wrong...never show up a team mate on the field, in front of the fans!

One of the main disconnects on the left side is that Iupati rarely gives up ANY ground to a pass rusher, as Staley drops back and kicks out, it leaves a dangerous inside lane for edge rushers to move into. It makes it almost twice as hard for him. I figure that gets fixed this year. I think all these guys are actually pretty tight on and off the field.

Exactly! Spot on...
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
somebody on Green Bay is going to get KTFO on opening day.

Not a prediction... More of a guarantee!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mannydawson:
Alex Smith will have two 300 yard games this season.

and joe will still be pissed cuz the non throwing arm of alex is not bent at the proper angle

Alex bends his knee on every throw!

&

Another thread will be created on why we are wasting a roster spot on Brian Jennings!
[ Edited by JustaFan45 on May 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Alex Smith Pro-bowler

Wow so hes gonna do both huh??

I thought they scrapped the game indefinitely...
Alex makes the probowl.

Cam gets 10 sacks. Aldon gets 15 sacks

Kilgore starts at RG.

Rogers gets 9 picks.

Niners totally trash Giants in playoffs.

Niners play Houston in Plaoffs and win by 21.
Originally posted by Garcia:
I hate reading this thread because the amount of peyote you fools are smoking is beyond belief.

This.
Lets make no mistake about this, the coaches BADLY want to get Boone on the field and with as poor of an OL we had last year (44 sacks, lead the league in QB pressures under 3 seconds, poor short yardage team, horrendous 1st and 3rd down %'s, etc.), I have no doubt this OL will be under heavy scrutiny this offseason and many combinations will be tried.

Staley has never been a guy who has ever been challenged for his position. I agree with FO and other sites after reviewing tape of Staley all year long that he was well below average and a bigger issue than fans realize which was only magnified by his pro bowl birth. He gave up quite a few key sacks, a lot of hits/pressures and was typically destroyed 1x1 in the run-game and that was WITH a ton of help from Iupati sliding over to help on virtually every snap. He is a big reason we rarely run off-tackle to his side. That said, he's very athletic, has a great attitude and work ethic and nobody is better at blocking down field on the run.

I think with plenty of tape to review, including last year's performance, we genuinely could see Staley challenged by Boone who does appear stronger, just as athletic and hungry as Staley. He's ready and like so many last year (Brooks, Brown, Aldon, Bowman, etc.) he just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow.

If, and it's a BIG IF, Kilgore or another owns the RG spot, I could see a bold prediction of Boone winning a T spot, Staley being traded for a high pick and us nabbing a FA veteran as insurance. It's unlikely but given the microscope this OL will be under with a full offseason of assessments and how badly this coaching staff wants Boone on the field, I wouldn't be shocked at all. Either way, I'd personally like to see Staley genuinely challenged for the first time in his career.

This is most likely true (hence the bold prediction). It is highly unlikely.

That said, I believe Boone is getting courtesy snaps at RG and think the real competition will be between Kilgore and Looney with Slowey backing up Goodwin. I think they loved the versatility in Snyder last year and see the value of a swing T who could pinch inside if needed (in case we had another Chilo episode).

I have certainly heard nothing but praise towards Boone and he did get snaps at LT last year and did well there off the bench. I think by giving him a shot at RG also speaks volumes also. I think the coaches do want him on the field and part of the best 5 but RG probably won't be it. I have a feeling we will see all sorts of combinations this off season. Perhaps the best would be Boone pushing Staley with Kilgore/Looney battling at RG or Davis moving to RG and Boone getting looks at RT (or LT with Staley moving to RT). I heard Harbaugh talking about wanting to keep continuity (not a lot of changes in positions) but I don't buy it (although I understand the importance of continuity alone the OL)! And contrary to Harbaugh, I "do" see Boone's stance and height being an issue at G.

I think with the emphasis of speedsters such as Hunter/James, this team will place a premium on T's who can seal the edges effectively and consistently and disallow defenses to stack the box with 8-9 guys (run blitzing) for the predictable runs in between the T's (ala Gore). And that is not Staley's strength IMO (or in short yardage). He seemed to need a lot of help from Iupati last year which also put pressure on Goodwin and gaps to his left. I think Staley is serviceable but we could use a big upgrade or a guy like Boone genuinely pushing him for the first time in his career - we do know how much this coaching staff loves competition!

Sorry NC, but there is little evidence to suggest that the coaching staff suddenly cannot live without Boone being on the field. I think it is also a major stretch to suggest that Boone could or would be better than Joe Staley. Boone's the first guy off the bench, and I think the 49ers are happy with that.

Joe Staley is also signed through 2017. I think they like him a whole lot.
Share 49ersWebzone