Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 496 users in the forums

Bold Predictions - 1.0

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Can someone please point me to a scrap of evidence that indicates Boone is good enough to supplant a pro bowl left tackle?

Can someone point to me a scrap of evidence that Brooks is better than Lawson, that Brown is better then Spencer, that Whitner is better than Williams, that Bowman is better than TKO, that Sopoaga is better than Franklin, that Smith is better than Haralson, that McDonald is better than...oh wait, never mind!

Potential sometimes just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow. It's called development. And Boone has been developing for years!

Brooks better than Lawson? Sack numbers.

Brown better then Spencer? Brown stays healthy.

Whitner better than Williams? Madieu? You're kidding right?

Bowman better than TKO? He's not 45 years old, had more tackles than Willis last year.

Sopoaga better than Franklin? Franklin got cut from the Saints.

Aldon Smith better than Harralson? Sack numbers.


There ya go.

Here.

Not sure what your point is? All these players many fans thought we couldn't live w/o...we were going to SUCK if we lost these guys...they left on their own or were allowed to leave or booted and the guys behind them or who stepped in, all played better. A lot better! By taking one step back (in some people's eyes), we took two steps forward. Isn't that the point here?

Those players never contributed to us being a good team. All those moves except maybe Bowman over Spikes were seen as upgrades in the first place. Whitner has always been better than Williams. Lawson although I liked him was never the player he was drafted to be. Franklin was extremely overrated and Sopoaga was always underrated and performed well at NT before.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Can someone please point me to a scrap of evidence that indicates Boone is good enough to supplant a pro bowl left tackle?

Can someone point to me a scrap of evidence that Brooks is better than Lawson, that Brown is better then Spencer, that Whitner is better than Williams, that Bowman is better than TKO, that Sopoaga is better than Franklin, that Smith is better than Haralson, that McDonald is better than...oh wait, never mind!

Potential sometimes just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow. It's called development. And Boone has been developing for years!

Brooks better than Lawson? Sack numbers.

Brown better then Spencer? Brown stays healthy.

Whitner better than Williams? Madieu? You're kidding right?

Bowman better than TKO? He's not 45 years old, had more tackles than Willis last year.

Sopoaga better than Franklin? Franklin got cut from the Saints.

Aldon Smith better than Harralson? Sack numbers.


There ya go.

Here.

Not sure what your point is? All these players many fans thought we couldn't live w/o...we were going to SUCK if we lost these guys...they left on their own or were allowed to leave or booted and the guys behind them or who stepped in, all played better. A lot better! By taking one step back (in some people's eyes), we took two steps forward. Isn't that the point here?

Those players never contributed to us being a good team. All those moves except maybe Bowman over Spikes were seen as upgrades in the first place. Whitner has always been better than Williams. Lawson although I liked him was never the player he was drafted to be. Franklin was extremely overrated and Sopoaga was always underrated and performed well at NT before.

Yeap. Again, my point was that the coaching staff made smart decisions based on what they saw and the team reaped the benefits.

If Staley was dogging it, they'd sub him out too. But since he's not...
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Can someone please point me to a scrap of evidence that indicates Boone is good enough to supplant a pro bowl left tackle?

Can someone point to me a scrap of evidence that Brooks is better than Lawson, that Brown is better then Spencer, that Whitner is better than Williams, that Bowman is better than TKO, that Sopoaga is better than Franklin, that Smith is better than Haralson, that McDonald is better than...oh wait, never mind!

Potential sometimes just needs a chance and an opportunity to grow. It's called development. And Boone has been developing for years!

Brooks better than Lawson? Sack numbers.

Brown better then Spencer? Brown stays healthy.

Whitner better than Williams? Madieu? You're kidding right?

Bowman better than TKO? He's not 45 years old, had more tackles than Willis last year.

Sopoaga better than Franklin? Franklin got cut from the Saints.

Aldon Smith better than Harralson? Sack numbers.


There ya go.

Here.

Not sure what your point is? All these players many fans thought we couldn't live w/o...we were going to SUCK if we lost these guys...they left on their own or were allowed to leave or booted and the guys behind them or who stepped in, all played better. A lot better! By taking one step back (in some people's eyes), we took two steps forward. Isn't that the point here?

Those players never contributed to us being a good team. All those moves except maybe Bowman over Spikes were seen as upgrades in the first place. Whitner has always been better than Williams. Lawson although I liked him was never the player he was drafted to be. Franklin was extremely overrated and Sopoaga was always underrated and performed well at NT before.

Yeap. Again, my point was that the coaching staff made smart decisions based on what they saw and the team reaped the benefits.

If Staley was dogging it, they'd sub him out too. But since he's not...

Exactly. While I think Staley is far from the best LT he's proven to be very good and there's a reason hes a starter and went to the pro bowl.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
All pro sorry sometimes I can't type on my phone

Ahh! Thanks. I am not really down on the guy but he doesn't seem to be the power type lineman Harbaugh likes to employ. Staley is very quick and mobile, which you would think is perfect for the WCO but everything I have read indicates Harbaugh prefers power linemen. Maybe Harbaugh has just lived with the hand he is dealt and doesn't really have a preference or has a different preference?

This line now has enough young talent drafted by Harbaugh and Baalke that it should become a elite line over the next couple of years...barring injuries. In other words--they have their guys.
Those are very good points. Staley is singed long term, so until JH has a better option Staley will be our ace OT.

I will say this: I get the sneaky feeling that JH & Co. is gonna - or trying - to find a way to get Boone and Kilgore into the starting line-up; JH & Co. really like these two. I know it's early, and Goodwin is excused from these practices, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an open competition at C with Goodwin and Kilgore. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with that. Personally, I'd like to see Kilgore start at G and have Boone as the ultimate swing man. But I have a strong feeling that JH & Co. is going to find a way to get Kilgore and Boone on the field at the same time. "Best 5".

This is exactly what I was saying...I agreed that if we are going bold predictions here, it's a possibility. Unlikely, yes, but possible based of the mere fact Boone has been developing for years now and it seems like the coaches really want to give him a shot, even at RG where he is probably less suited for. I also said that we can expect several lineup mixes now that we have an entire offseason to do it...we are already seeing that with Boone being trained for years as a T suddenly tried out at RG. Then we have Kilgore who was expected to be the front runner initially at RG, now trying out at C along with Slowey. Don't forget Looney, another guy HarBaalke drafted - their guys. Staley was signed LT how many years ago? By which regime? Was that under Harbaugh and Baalke? We've seen the old regime quickly dwindle away and talent behind them developed, tried out and even signed LT IN ONE YEAR! We've seen a focus on "their guys" too. My point is that while none of you are willing to put in the time to truly assess the line play, you ARE basing your opinions on a popularity contest b/c to this point, you've added ZERO analysis of your own. My opinions, like MD or OTC (re: draft) and many others who put in the work and time to draw their own opinions, even if contrary to popular belief, should not be discredited b/c you are unwilling to put in the same work, analysis, yourself.

If you know me and my history, in the end, I've been more right than wrong re: player analysis (strengths, weaknesses, intangibles, etc.) and usually a year or two ahead of the trend. To me, this is where Bill Walsh made his mark...player analysis...often times dropping veterans a year before their decline (to many objections) coupled with player development/growth behind them. I see this with HarBaalke already as well. Hence, the BOLD prediction in this BOLD PREDICTION thread. Sure, I get blasted for it along the way but I'm confident in my own assessments, whether I like the guy or not (and I do like Staley a lot) and try to stay as objective as possible.

Its not that you (not referring to you 9ersLiferInChicago but the other refuters) are incapable of writing your own 400 word analysis, it's that you HAVE NO ANALYSIS. So, again, until you do, and I hope you do so we can actually counter here, I rest my case.

And for the 10th time, nobody is saying Boone should start over Staley but he SHOULD be given a genuine chance to challenge him there and at bare minimum, push Staley to be on his toes b/c up to this point, he's never been challenged before or had to look over his shoulder. And Boone has MORE than turned his life around, his game and is just waiting for a real chance to win a spot, grow and develop like we saw with so many other players last year (and who ALL succeeded and have higher ceilings than the previous starters).
I think you and I agree more than you may think. But where I disagree with you is the use of your analysis. Look, good ol' American football is how I make my living. But I think it's unfair to make other Zoners qualify their opinions with detailed analysis before they challenge you or post an opinion. Like it or not, this is a fan's forum, so it's full of opinions, good, bad, and ugly. And I'm guessing that most Zoners just don't have the time or resources like you or myself to do detailed analysis before they post. Even now, I'm stealing time from my job to make this post. And I can tell you from experience that doing detailed analysis is real work. (Personally, I'd rather leave the football analysis in the film room and the field with fellow football professionals. It helps me keep things in perspective.) In the midst of many ridiculous posts are quite insightful ones, even some I disagree with. Now I agree with you to an extent about Boone. But if I had to choose between Boone and Staley I'd pick Staley. To be sure Boone has earned every chance to compete for a starting job anywhere on the line. But Staley has proven he's our best OT. I don't think too much analysis is necessary to see that.
Originally posted by NCommand:
That's fair...see your point too. And I mostly agree with it UNLESS there is little drop off (maybe even gains as Boone grows throughout the year like others did last year with proper coaching) this year and potential for even bigger gains going forward (Boone's upside is a better fit for the team's style, cost, etc., we gain another 1st rounder, etc.). Remember, sometimes you have to roll the dice as a GM. For instance, we let Manny walk (happily) and played all year with only 3 OLB's including one who was a 3rd down specialist and a rookie and it worked out. That gamble paid off and they didn't ignore it this year by drafting not one but two OLB's. Now imagine a similar situation with Boone PLUS a 1st rounder next year. Is it bold? Yes! Would you roll the dice?

Anyway, it was a pleasure talking scenarios with ya. Gotta get back to my (real job) as a non-arm-chair-GM.
That is bold, but I wouldn't roll the dice on that one.
Brandon Jacobs will not make the team.
Kyle Williams returns kicks this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
Kyle Williams returns kicks this year.

i can not wait for the zone to explode when it is announced williams is returning punts in practice.it will serve all of the haters right
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
Kyle Williams returns kicks this year.

i can not wait for the zone to explode when it is announced williams is returning punts in practice.it will serve all of the haters right

he can long snap in practice for all I care.....he just doesn't need to be doing it come game day
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
Kyle Williams returns kicks this year.

i can not wait for the zone to explode when it is announced williams is returning punts in practice.it will serve all of the haters right

he can long snap in practice for all I care.....he just doesn't need to be doing it come game day

lol this. There is not a chance in hell he returns punts on gamedays
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Brandon Jacobs will not make the team.
Okay, here's a "bold prediction" that I hope is completely wrong: Gore doesn't make the roster and his career as the most productive Niner RB in history is over.

He's replaced by Hunter, and LMJ, who split time at RB, with a healthy dose of Bradon Jacobs thrown in as well.

Again, I hope this doesn't come to pass, but adding Jacobs in FA, then drafting LMJ? Is the writing on the wall?
Alex Smith makes the pro bowl...............as a starter.........what?? to bold???
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Brandon Jacobs will not make the team.
Okay, here's a "bold prediction" that I hope is completely wrong: Gore doesn't make the roster and his career as the most productive Niner RB in history is over.

He's replaced by Hunter, and LMJ, who split time at RB, with a healthy dose of Bradon Jacobs thrown in as well.

Again, I hope this doesn't come to pass, but adding Jacobs in FA, then drafting LMJ? Is the writing on the wall?

That's brisk baby, that's brisk!

PS: Can't wait to see the backlash from this one. Shhhh, don't tell them they are reading a bold prediction in a bold prediction thread!
The penchant our OL had for lots of sacks (44), and most sacks under 3 seconds, are going to be addressed in part by the O we run. Once AJ and then LaMichael were signed, i expect the days of the 3 second sacks to become a moot point. Why? Because that ball is going to be gone long before someone can nail alex with the ball. Why? Our #1 and #2 picks are going to be open and La MIchael is going to always be there when alex is in trouble. Alex will get recoached, and if he doesn't see AJ, Crbtre, Mario, moss, Vernon, Delanie, or whoever is out there, he is going to be zipping the ball to LaMichael who is going to set a 49er record for most passes caught behind LOS and most YAC. And a lot of those yds are gonna be on 3rd down.

Also, rachal is gone, snyder has been gone, and our OL gets better with their departure. Was staley helping the OG who missed his assignment or was it truly on staley. Hard to tell, but my bet is on staley helping out and ending up looking bad. I don't see that this yr. Boone, Kilgore, I just expect both to work in with time, and don't know who is gonna start. After TC we will all have a better idea.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Brandon Jacobs will not make the team.
Okay, here's a "bold prediction" that I hope is completely wrong: Gore doesn't make the roster and his career as the most productive Niner RB in history is over.

He's replaced by Hunter, and LMJ, who split time at RB, with a healthy dose of Bradon Jacobs thrown in as well.

Again, I hope this doesn't come to pass, but adding Jacobs in FA, then drafting LMJ? Is the writing on the wall?

That's brisk baby, that's brisk!

PS: Can't wait to see the backlash from this one. Shhhh, don't tell them they are reading a bold prediction in a bold prediction thread!
lol. Yeah, I read all the grief you took. Maybe I shoulda posted this earlier, to distract those guys.

Seriously, I hope not, but reading that article by Eric Branch today which compares Hunter and LMJ (and Rice) made me wonder--have we seen the last of Frank Gire???
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone