There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post-Draft 53 Man Roster

  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,073
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."
the rock will be the captain of special teams along with being a back up fullback and kick returner. he stays no doubt. jury is still out on kyle. right now he is third or fourth best. in two more months if he is still third or fourth best then you have some decisions to make
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."

I don't see Kyle Williams as he teams 3rd best WR, it's Moss, Crabs, Manningham and even Ginn IMO are better than Kyle Williams. And 6 WRs aren't needed, when we can use a ST guys more than Williams.

I disagree AB. All of your 53 projections since the draft have had K Williams cut. Just removing his punt return mistakes from one playoff game last year, everyone seemed some what high on the guy. He performed nicely in what was essentially his rookie year last year. And everyone (both Matts) has been saying is that Williams looks most improved and has something to prove this offseason out of any of the WRs. I truly think Williams will make the team and look for Jenkins to be inactive. Maybe drop Colin Jones or a 3rd TE and have Staley be the 3rd TE option in packages and sub in person for RG and move Boone over to LT. I would say right now Williams and Ham are tied for 3rd best WRs on the team.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."
the rock will be the captain of special teams along with being a back up fullback and kick returner. he stays no doubt. jury is still out on kyle. right now he is third or fourth best. in two more months if he is still third or fourth best then you have some decisions to make

Agreed. People forget that Costanzo was a special teamer first, as will Rock, and both are damn good. You don't cut a good/great Special Teamer for a 6th WR who won't see the field. I don't see us activating all WRs, I can see now with just 4(Moss, Crabs, Manningham and Ginn), we never activated 5 last year on game days. This would free up a spot for Hunter and Jacobs to both be active. We won't use more than 3 WR sets, so main weapons would be Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Vernon, Delanie, Gore, James, Hunter and Jacobs.

My actives on my roster would be.

QB(2)- Alex and Kaep
RB(4)- Gore, James, Jacobs and Hunter
FB(1)- Miller
WR(4)- Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Ginn
TE(3)- Vernon, Delanie and Byham
C(1)- Goodwin
OG(3)- Iupati, Kilgore, Boone
OT(3)- Davis, Staley and Person
DL(5)- Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, Jean Francois and Tukuafu
OLB(4)- Aldon, Brooks, Haralson and Johnson
ILB(4)- Willis, Bowman, Grant and Gooden
CB(4)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Cox
FS(1)- Goldson
SS(2)- Whitner and Spillman

ST(5)- Akers, Lee, Jennings, Rock and Jones

Inactives- QB Johnson, WR Jenkins, OG Looney, DE Dobbs, NT Williams, CB Brock, FS Robinson

I would be torn, either we keep Hunter and Jacobs active, or one of them an activate Robinson. I don't see Jones inactive, he was too good on Special Teams in 2011.
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."

I don't see Kyle Williams as he teams 3rd best WR, it's Moss, Crabs, Manningham and even Ginn IMO are better than Kyle Williams. And 6 WRs aren't needed, when we can use a ST guys more than Williams.

I disagree AB. All of your 53 projections since the draft have had K Williams cut. Just removing his punt return mistakes from one playoff game last year, everyone seemed some what high on the guy. He performed nicely in what was essentially his rookie year last year. And everyone (both Matts) has been saying is that Williams looks most improved and has something to prove this offseason out of any of the WRs. I truly think Williams will make the team and look for Jenkins to be inactive. Maybe drop Colin Jones or a 3rd TE and have Staley be the 3rd TE option in packages and sub in person for RG and move Boone over to LT. I would say right now Williams and Ham are tied for 3rd best WRs on the team.

Even if Kyle makes it, he won't be active. We only will keep 4 active, and Moss, Crabs, Manningham and Ginn are locks. I just can't see why Williams would be a roster spot. He isn't the 3rd best WR, or Receiver on the team, I put Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Ginn, Vernon and Delanie all above him as a pass catching threat, and even Gore above him.

We won't cut a 3rd TE, we need a blocking TE, Jones was key to Special Teams, and not anyone can play Special Teams. You either can or can't. Jones was made for it, as was Rock.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Agreed. People forget that Costanzo was a special teamer first, as will Rock, and both are damn good. You don't cut a good/great Special Teamer for a 6th WR who won't see the field. I don't see us activating all WRs, I can see now with just 4(Moss, Crabs, Manningham and Ginn), we never activated 5 last year on game days. This would free up a spot for Hunter and Jacobs to both be active. We won't use more than 3 WR sets, so main weapons would be Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Vernon, Delanie, Gore, James, Hunter and Jacobs.

My actives on my roster would be.

QB(2)- Alex and Kaep
RB(4)- Gore, James, Jacobs and Hunter
FB(1)- Miller
WR(4)- Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Ginn
TE(3)- Vernon, Delanie and Byham
C(1)- Goodwin
OG(3)- Iupati, Kilgore, Boone
OT(3)- Davis, Staley and Person
DL(5)- Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, Jean Francois and Tukuafu
OLB(4)- Aldon, Brooks, Haralson and Johnson
ILB(4)- Willis, Bowman, Grant and Gooden
CB(4)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Cox
FS(1)- Goldson
SS(2)- Whitner and Spillman

ST(5)- Akers, Lee, Jennings, Rock and Jones

Inactives- QB Johnson, WR Jenkins, OG Looney, DE Dobbs, NT Williams, CB Brock, FS Robinson

I would be torn, either we keep Hunter and Jacobs active, or one of them an activate Robinson. I don't see Jones inactive, he was too good on Special Teams in 2011.

It's going to be tremendously disappointing if Jenkins is inactive on gameday...
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's going to be tremendously disappointing if Jenkins is inactive on gameday...

Or maybe it just means we have 5 other WRs playing better football? I do see your point... AJJ being a late first and all... but we should be happy if we have 5 WRs playing strong football. Team first... individual players have to take a step back from that, right?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."
the rock will be the captain of special teams along with being a back up fullback and kick returner. he stays no doubt. jury is still out on kyle. right now he is third or fourth best. in two more months if he is still third or fourth best then you have some decisions to make

Agreed. People forget that Costanzo was a special teamer first, as will Rock, and both are damn good. You don't cut a good/great Special Teamer for a 6th WR who won't see the field. I don't see us activating all WRs, I can see now with just 4(Moss, Crabs, Manningham and Ginn), we never activated 5 last year on game days. This would free up a spot for Hunter and Jacobs to both be active. We won't use more than 3 WR sets, so main weapons would be Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Vernon, Delanie, Gore, James, Hunter and Jacobs.

My actives on my roster would be.

QB(2)- Alex and Kaep
RB(4)- Gore, James, Jacobs and Hunter
FB(1)- Miller
WR(4)- Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Ginn
TE(3)- Vernon, Delanie and Byham
C(1)- Goodwin
OG(3)- Iupati, Kilgore, Boone
OT(3)- Davis, Staley and Person
DL(5)- Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, Jean Francois and Tukuafu
OLB(4)- Aldon, Brooks, Haralson and Johnson
ILB(4)- Willis, Bowman, Grant and Gooden
CB(4)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Cox
FS(1)- Goldson
SS(2)- Whitner and Spillman

ST(5)- Akers, Lee, Jennings, Rock and Jones

Inactives- QB Johnson, WR Jenkins, OG Looney, DE Dobbs, NT Williams, CB Brock, FS Robinson

I would be torn, either we keep Hunter and Jacobs active, or one of them an activate Robinson. I don't see Jones inactive, he was too good on Special Teams in 2011.

i think it would be dumb to activate on ly 4 WR on gameday

even when 1 of them is ginn activate KW as well
QB: Alex, Kaepernick, Johnson (3)
RB: Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, Miller (5)
WR: Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Ginn (6)
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Person, Slowey (9)
TE: Davis, Walker, Byham (3)

DL: Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Tukuafu, RJF, Dobbs (6)
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Gooden, Grant, Johnson (8)
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock (5)
S: Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Jones, Robinson (5)

ST: Lee, Akers, Jennings (3)

I think the last couple spots come down to Ian Williams, Slowey, Brock, and Cartwright fighting for two spots.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Even if Kyle makes it, he won't be active. We only will keep 4 active, and Moss, Crabs, Manningham and Ginn are locks. I just can't see why Williams would be a roster spot. He isn't the 3rd best WR, or Receiver on the team, I put Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Ginn, Vernon and Delanie all above him as a pass catching threat, and even Gore above him.

We won't cut a 3rd TE, we need a blocking TE, Jones was key to Special Teams, and not anyone can play Special Teams. You either can or can't. Jones was made for it, as was Rock.

You keep mentioning Ginn.. The guy is a small target, and hands down not a better receiver then Jenkins. In the eyes of Harbaugh Ginn on the roster does not fall under WR, I would think he just sees him as depth there but mainly for the resigning of his services are as returner (ST).
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's going to be tremendously disappointing if Jenkins is inactive on gameday...

Or maybe it just means we have 5 other WRs playing better football? I do see your point... AJJ being a late first and all... but we should be happy if we have 5 WRs playing strong football. Team first... individual players have to take a step back from that, right?

Which is a bad thing when you drafted a WR in the first round....

I agree that the aim should always be to get the best players on the field. I'll just be disappointed if Jenkins is not one of those best.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's going to be tremendously disappointing if Jenkins is inactive on gameday...

Or maybe it just means we have 5 other WRs playing better football? I do see your point... AJJ being a late first and all... but we should be happy if we have 5 WRs playing strong football. Team first... individual players have to take a step back from that, right?

Which is a bad thing when you drafted a WR in the first round....

I agree that the aim should always be to get the best players on the field. I'll just be disappointed if Jenkins is not one of those best.

Really do understand that. I'd be disappointed also, but I think AJJ can still be a strong contributor after this season. So whether he does something or nothing THIS season? Eh.. don't much matter to me. Just as long as we have solid WRs and depth this season.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: Alex, Kaepernick, Johnson (3)
RB: Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James, Miller (5)
WR: Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Ginn (6)
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwinn, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Person, Slowey (9)
TE: Davis, Walker, Byham (3)

DL: Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Tukuafu, RJF, Dobbs (6)
LB: Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Haralson, Gooden, Grant, Johnson (8)
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock (5)
S: Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Jones, Robinson (5)

ST: Lee, Akers, Jennings (3)

I think the last couple spots come down to Ian Williams, Slowey, Brock, and Cartwright fighting for two spots.

I agree with this for the most part, but I'd like us to go with 6 CB. I think someone like Dobbs gets sent to the PS.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i think it would be dumb to activate on ly 4 WR on gameday

even when 1 of them is ginn activate KW as well

We never did in 2011 though. Always was 4, started at Braylon, Crabs, Morgan and Ginn, then when Braylon was hurt Kyle was the 4th, never was 5 WRs active. I just assume we won't use more than 3 WR sets in a game.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
We never did in 2011 though. Always was 4, started at Braylon, Crabs, Morgan and Ginn, then when Braylon was hurt Kyle was the 4th, never was 5 WRs active. I just assume we won't use more than 3 WR sets in a game.

I think there's more to the playbook then Harbaugh unleashed last year. You could see a little 4 wide reciever next year, with Alex being great in the Shot Gun. But that doesn't mean you won't see Vernon Davis as one of the 4 wide. Trying to exploit a match up he may get with a slow safety or a small corner. I'd like to see some 4 wide with Jenkins and Moss on the same side. That's a lot of speed to cover.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
We never did in 2011 though. Always was 4, started at Braylon, Crabs, Morgan and Ginn, then when Braylon was hurt Kyle was the 4th, never was 5 WRs active. I just assume we won't use more than 3 WR sets in a game.

Offense will be more mature this coming season so they may use more multiple WR sets and need more in games...though that would mean paring somewhere else. Just want to keep too many guys active! Hate to see anyone cut as well. It's so nice to be unable to pick half a dozen guys right off the bat who won't make the team!