LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 380 users in the forums

Post-Draft 53 Man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
We never did in 2011 though. Always was 4, started at Braylon, Crabs, Morgan and Ginn, then when Braylon was hurt Kyle was the 4th, never was 5 WRs active. I just assume we won't use more than 3 WR sets in a game.

Offense will be more mature this coming season so they may use more multiple WR sets and need more in games...though that would mean paring somewhere else. Just want to keep too many guys active! Hate to see anyone cut as well. It's so nice to be unable to pick half a dozen guys right off the bat who won't make the team!
Agreed. The offense will be more seasoned, especially Alex Smith and the OL. JH & Co. will have the pleasant problem of choosing an active 46 from a pool 53 that all should be on an active 46.
If we keep 6 which I think we will I would activate 5. I am thinking one would have to be not active if it's Williams or Jenkins but I'd prefer all be active since I think Williams and Jenkins can help out on special teams or on reverses. Unless you alternate them but either way I doubt all 6 can be active so that's 1 there or maybe 2 if we go with 4 guys. So you need 7 without the 3rd QB? Person would be one... Ian Williams if he makes it... maybe Dobbs... Cam Johnson..... If we keep 3 centers (slowey or beeler with Goodwin/Kilgore 1/2) one of them would be inactive.... probably Trent Robinson or Colin Jones if we keep both... if we keep 1 not sure we can deactivate that 1 although Spillman will probably be the main backup for FS and SS....Brock is probably one even though I like him and Cox and think both can contribute.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."

I don't see Kyle Williams as he teams 3rd best WR, it's Moss, Crabs, Manningham and even Ginn IMO are better than Kyle Williams. And 6 WRs aren't needed, when we can use a ST guys more than Williams.

I disagree AB. All of your 53 projections since the draft have had K Williams cut. Just removing his punt return mistakes from one playoff game last year, everyone seemed some what high on the guy. He performed nicely in what was essentially his rookie year last year. And everyone (both Matts) has been saying is that Williams looks most improved and has something to prove this offseason out of any of the WRs. I truly think Williams will make the team and look for Jenkins to be inactive. Maybe drop Colin Jones or a 3rd TE and have Staley be the 3rd TE option in packages and sub in person for RG and move Boone over to LT. I would say right now Williams and Ham are tied for 3rd best WRs on the team.
AB,
You and others believing that K. Williams will be cut haven't addressed the reports from the field during off-season practice that Williams isn't the 6th receiver, but the 3rd.
AB,
You and others believing that K. Williams will be cut haven't addressed the reports from the field during off-season practice that Williams isn't the 6th receiver, but the 3rd.

I think that anyone that puts aside their leftover anger can see the kid has potential and has been working his tail off. Like him or not I think he has too much potential to cut. I can see someone thinking he will get cut because we only keep 5 WRs and use the extra spot elsewhere. Plus if we keep 4 RBs that might mean 1 less WR. I can see where they are coming from... Crabtree, Moss, Manningham and Jenkins are locks. Ginn offers too much in the return game to be cut over Williams. I think the only way Williams doesn't make it is if we are dead set on 5 wrs and saving the roster space. It won't be because he wasn't good enough or someone like Owusu or Palmer beat him out. That's my opinion and I rarely disagree with AB but I think we keep Williams and 6 WRs so I would here.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Or maybe it just means we have 5 other WRs playing better football? I do see your point... AJJ being a late first and all... but we should be happy if we have 5 WRs playing strong football. Team first... individual players have to take a step back from that, right?
should we be happy we have good wide outs better than jenkins or should we be upset we have a first round pick inactive? in other words if jenkins is inactive should the coach and front office be brought under questioning for the pick? its a legit question
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
AB,
I have tried to bring that up. the predictable response(but not from AB) is..... its only july. I do not care what month it is. i stay pretty much in the present and if the season started today kyle would be third or fourth at worse
QB - Alex , Kap, JJ

RB - Frank, Hunter, James, Jacobs, Rock
FB- Miller
WR- Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Ginn
TE- Davis, Walker , Rueland
LT - Staley
LG - Big Mike - Kilgore
C - Goodwin -
RG- Boone - Looney
RT- Davis - Person

DE- Cowboy , Turk
NT- Soap , RJF
DE- Mac , Dobbs
OLB- Brooks
ILB - Willis , Grant
ILB - Bowman , Gooden
OLB- Aldon , Haralson, Johnson
FS- Goldson, Spillman
SS - Whitner, Jones , Robinson
CB- Brown . Culliver
CB- Rogers , Cox , Brock

LS- Jennings
K - Akers
P - Andy

I'm not too sure about JJ beating out Tolzien , there will be a good fight in training camp for that 3rd QB spot, I listed JJ because of his game experience, but Scott has a full year under his belt of learning the system, so it could easily just as well be Tolzien as the 3rd QB

I'm jaded, I'm a Konrad Rueland fan, so it is possible Nate will be the 3rd TE

I'm also not sold as Brock as our 5th CB, there could be a surprise in training camp at CB from one of the undrafted

I'm also fired up to see how much better our special teams play this year, Rock is going to help us out big time in that area, I'm going to miss Blake, but we still have a lot of talent on ST , we still have C.J Spillman , Colin Jones, Tavares Gooden and Ginn, but I have a feeling Trent Robinson will be a nice surprise for us on ST and will be hard to keep off the field, just call it a hunch that Robinson will make an impact early as a rookie ...ST will still be a strength this year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
QB - Alex , Kap, JJ

FB- Miller
LT - Staley
LG - Big Mike - Kilgore
C - Goodwin -
RG- Boone - Looney
RT- Davis - Person

DE- Cowboy , Turk
NT- Soap , RJF
DE- Mac , Dobbs
OLB- Brooks
ILB - Willis , Grant
ILB - Bowman , Gooden
FS- Goldson, Spillman
CB- Brown . Culliver
CB- Rogers , Cox , Brock

LS- Jennings
K - Akers
P - Andy

I'm not too sure about JJ beating out Tolzien , there will be a good fight in training camp for that 3rd QB spot, I listed JJ because of his game experience, but Scott has a full year under his belt of learning the system, so it could easily just as well be Tolzien as the 3rd QB

I'm also not sold as Brock as our 5th CB, there could be a surprise in training camp at CB from one of the undrafted

I'm also fired up to see how much better our special teams play this year, Rock is going to help us out big time in that area, I'm going to miss Blake, but we still have a lot of talent on ST , we still have C.J Spillman , Colin Jones, Tavares Gooden and Ginn, but I have a feeling Trent Robinson will be a nice surprise for us on ST and will be hard to keep off the field, just call it a hunch that Robinson will make an impact early as a rookie ...ST will still be a strength this year
gotta make a s;ot for cartwright, the captain of special teams and a great vetern, the reason he was signed was to replace blake plus he can multi task, play a little fullback and return kicks
Originally posted by cciowa:
QB - Alex , Kap, JJ

FB- Miller
LT - Staley
LG - Big Mike - Kilgore
C - Goodwin -
RG- Boone - Looney
RT- Davis - Person

DE- Cowboy , Turk
NT- Soap , RJF
DE- Mac , Dobbs
OLB- Brooks
ILB - Willis , Grant
ILB - Bowman , Gooden
FS- Goldson, Spillman
CB- Brown . Culliver
CB- Rogers , Cox , Brock

LS- Jennings
K - Akers
P - Andy

gotta make a s;ot for cartwright, the captain of special teams and a great vetern, the reason he was signed was to replace blake plus he can multi task, play a little fullback and return kicks

Yup , I saw him carry the ball when he was with the Skins, he's not a bad RB ....Harbaugh will find some work for him
Ian Williams, Dobbs and Tuku will not all make the team again. One of those guys will get cut, my guess is Ian Williams.

QB - Alex , Kap, JJ

FB- Miller
LT - Staley
LG - Big Mike - Kilgore
C - Goodwin -
RG- Boone - Looney
RT- Davis - Person

DE- Cowboy , Turk
NT- Soap , RJF
DE- Mac , Dobbs
OLB- Brooks
ILB - Willis , Grant
ILB - Bowman , Gooden
FS- Goldson, Spillman
CB- Brown . Culliver
CB- Rogers , Cox , Brock

LS- Jennings
K - Akers
P - Andy

Only a couple differences from mine. I like it. Id rather keep Cartwright over Slowey but Id be surprised to see only 8 OL kept. Reuland vs Byham should be good, I just liked what I saw from Byham as a rookie.
Im also not that high on Brock but I think whoever the 5th CB is will be inactive a lot anyways. Id be fine with Holcomb or Nelms making it over him.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Ian Williams, Dobbs and Tuku will not all make the team again. One of those guys will get cut, my guess is Ian Williams.

Mine too. I think Tukuafu definitely makes it and Dobbs will have to look even better than he did preseason last year which will be hard for him.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Mine too. I think Tukuafu definitely makes it and Dobbs will have to look even better than he did preseason last year which will be hard for him.

Also, with RJF as the defacto backup NT, Ian Williams' roster spot isn't as necessary as the primary backup to the LE and RE positions (Tukuafu and Dobbs).
Originally posted by 49er:
I know it's early but I'm curious as to what everyone thinks our 53 man roster will look like after the draft now.

Offense - 27
QB (4): A. Smith, C. Kaepernick, J. Johnson, S. Tolzien
RB (5): F. Gore, L. James, K. Hunter, B. Jacobs, R. Cartwright
FB (1): B. Miller
WR (5): R. Moss, M. Crabtree, M. Manningham, A. Jenkins, T. Ginn Jr.
TE (3): V. Davis, D. Walker, N. Byham
C (2): J. Goodwinn, J. Slowey
OG (3): M. Iupati, D. Kilgore, J. Looney
OT (4): J. Staley, A. Davis, A. Boone, M. Person

Defense - 23
DE (4) - J. Smith, R. McDonald, W. Tukuafu, D. Dobbs
NT (2) - I. Sopoaga, R. Jean-Francois
OLB (4) - A. Smith, A. Brooks, P. Haralson, D. Fleming
ILB (4) - P. Willis, N. Bowman, L. Grant, T. Gooden
CB (5) - C. Rogers, T. Brown, C. Culliver, T. Brock, P. Cox
S (4) - D. Goldson, D. Whitner, C. Spillman, T. Robinson

Special Teams - 3
K (1) - David Akers
P (1) - Andy Lee
LS (1) - Brian Jennings

Notable Cuts: Anthony Dixon, Ian Williams, Cameron Johnson (PS), Kyle Williams

I'm a little concerned about the lack of depth on defense under this scenario. Keeping 5 RBs and 4 QBs ... It leaves us really thin at DL and CB
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Or maybe it just means we have 5 other WRs playing better football? I do see your point... AJJ being a late first and all... but we should be happy if we have 5 WRs playing strong football. Team first... individual players have to take a step back from that, right?
should we be happy we have good wide outs better than jenkins or should we be upset we have a first round pick inactive? in other words if jenkins is inactive should the coach and front office be brought under questioning for the pick? its a legit question

No . . . not with the depth we now have at WR and especially not if the WR's that are active are producing and the team is still winning.
Share 49ersWebzone