LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 217 users in the forums

Post-Draft 53 Man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Or maybe it just means we have 5 other WRs playing better football? I do see your point... AJJ being a late first and all... but we should be happy if we have 5 WRs playing strong football. Team first... individual players have to take a step back from that, right?
should we be happy we have good wide outs better than jenkins or should we be upset we have a first round pick inactive? in other words if jenkins is inactive should the coach and front office be brought under questioning for the pick? its a legit question

It IS a legit question, but the only legit answer I ca respond with is this... Not every first round pick is expected to contribute right away in order to justify the selection. If AJJ was the BPA on our board? We take him... we take him while also noting that we may not even need his services in his rookie year. Not all draft picks are essential to start on a team that finishes at the top and selects at the bottom of the draft round. Draft picks can be made with the future in mind. That's a luxury a team can have when they see a lot of talent at WR... but not necessarily a lot of long-term WRs.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
No . . . not with the depth we now have at WR and especially not if the WR's that are active are producing and the team is still winning.

Yeah, Jenkins could be inactive half the year and I wouldn't have a problem with it. It means the other WRs are doing well. Also, Randy Moss and Ted Ginn are free agents after this year. Manningham and Kyle Williams will have 1 more year after this so we will probably need Jenkins next year. We might only have Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins. Who knows if Moss and Ginn will be back and if Williams will still be around after this year. I doubt it but he could get cut before this season. Jenkins and James to me are for the future but can still contribute this year but emphasis on the future.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, Jenkins could be inactive half the year and I wouldn't have a problem with it. It means the other WRs are doing well. Also, Randy Moss and Ted Ginn are free agents after this year. Manningham and Kyle Williams will have 1 more year after this so we will probably need Jenkins next year. We might only have Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins. Who knows if Moss and Ginn will be back and if Williams will still be around after this year. I doubt it but he could get cut before this season. Jenkins and James to me are for the future but can still contribute this year but emphasis on the future.
ok. thank you all for your input. i agree with you guys
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."

I don't see Kyle Williams as he teams 3rd best WR, it's Moss, Crabs, Manningham and even Ginn IMO are better than Kyle Williams. And 6 WRs aren't needed, when we can use a ST guys more than Williams.

I disagree AB. All of your 53 projections since the draft have had K Williams cut. Just removing his punt return mistakes from one playoff game last year, everyone seemed some what high on the guy. He performed nicely in what was essentially his rookie year last year. And everyone (both Matts) has been saying is that Williams looks most improved and has something to prove this offseason out of any of the WRs. I truly think Williams will make the team and look for Jenkins to be inactive. Maybe drop Colin Jones or a 3rd TE and have Staley be the 3rd TE option in packages and sub in person for RG and move Boone over to LT. I would say right now Williams and Ham are tied for 3rd best WRs on the team.

Did I call not having a 3rd TE? Yep, and everyone probably scratched their head thinking Harbaugh wouldn't just keep 2 TEs, cuz he loves his 3 TE sets. He also loves trickery (DEs playing H back).

Matts 53 man roster projections basically:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-pre-camp-roster-rundown?blockID=742899&feedID=5936

Question for AB though... If Flemming goes on PUP/IR I thought that doesn't count towards the 53 man roster or does it?
I would like to see Jenkins play a few downs a game and just learn from the other guys (assuming the other guys show stuff worth learning).
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Did I call not having a 3rd TE? Yep, and everyone probably scratched their head thinking Harbaugh wouldn't just keep 2 TEs, cuz he loves his 3 TE sets. He also loves trickery (DEs playing H back).

Matts 53 man roster projections basically:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-pre-camp-roster-rundown?blockID=742899&feedID=5936

Question for AB though... If Flemming goes on PUP/IR I thought that doesn't count towards the 53 man roster or does it?

He counts on 90 man until IR'd or PUP'd, once that happens he isn't on 53 man.
My updated 53 man roster projection

QB(3)- 11 Alex Smith, 7 Colin Kaepernick, 1 Josh Johnson
RB(4)- 21 Frank Gore, 32 Kendall Hunter, 45 Brandon Jacobs, 23 LaMichael James
FB(1)- 49 Bruce Miller
WR(6)- 84 Randy Moss, 15 Michael Crabtree, 14 Mario Manningham, 19 Ted Ginn Jr., 10 Kyle Williams, 17 A.J. Jenkins
TE(2)- 85 Vernon Davis, 46 Delanie Walker
C(2)- 59 Jonathan Goodwin, 62 Jason Slowey
OG(3)- 77 Mike Iupati, 67 Daniel Kilgore, Leonard Davis
OT(2)- 74 Joe Staley, 76 Anthony Davis
Swing OL(2)- 75 Alex Boone, 78 Mike Person

DE(4)- 94 Justin Smith, 91 Ray McDonald, 92 Will Tukuafu, 96 Demarcus Dobbs
NT(2)- 90 Isaac Sopoaga, 95 Ricky Jean Francois
OLB(4)- 55 Ahmad Brooks, 99 Aldon Smith, 98 Parys Haralson, 50 Cam Johnson
ILB(4)- 52 Patrick Willis, 53 NaVorro Bowman, 54 Larry Grant, 56 Tavares Gooden
CB(5)- 22 Carlos Rogers, 25 Tarell Brown, 29 Chris Culliver, 32 Darcel McBath, 20 Perrish Cox
S(4)- 38 Dashon Goldson, 31 Donte Whitner, 27 C.J. Spillman, 30 Trenton Robinson

PK(1)- 2 David Akers
P(1)- 4 Andy Lee
LS(1)- 86 Brian Jennings
ST(2)- 28 Rock Cartwright, 43 Colin Jones

PUP(1)- 66 Joe Looney
IR(1)- 58 Darius Fleming

Inactives(7)- QB Johnson, WR Williams, WR Jenkins, C Slowey, OT Person, CB Cox, S Robinson

Some notes- If we keep 6 WRs, then I can't see Williams active. Who does he stay over, the team feels special teams is high priority, and Jones and Rock are great at it, plus we are a running team, so we keep the 4 RBs active.

I kept 2 TEs due to Dobbs being able to play on offense.

I debated whether to carry Slowey or Ian Williams, hard choice, went with extra OL, with Looney on PUP to begin season.

I went with McBath over Brock as he brings more versatility as a CB and FS, plus better on Special Teams.

OLB wise, I am torn as cap wise we are tight, so Haralson is a tough guy, either we have him take pay cut or cut him, I expect a pay cut.
Looks good AB. But I think there are 7 inactives plus a QB. Also, to get more flexibility on actives, I wonder whether the coaches will prepare Miller to play OLB/DE and Leonard Davis at NT. It doesn't appear so at this point. Exclusively defensive players are practicing their offensive chops.

I still think Manningham has to prove he's more valuable than Williams.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Looks good AB. But I think there are 7 inactives plus a QB. Also, to get more flexibility on actives, I wonder whether the coaches will prepare Miller to play OLB/DE and Leonard Davis at NT. It doesn't appear so at this point. Exclusively defensive players are practicing their offensive chops.

I still think Manningham has to prove he's more valuable than Williams.

They changed the actives in the new CBA, now 7 inactives, no more 3rd QB, either dress one as in the 46 or don't. I think Manningham is guaranteed a spot, he is being paid guaranteed money over 2 years, especially in 2012. Plus I think it's better to have Manningham in there, he has more playing time.

I like the idea of having Miller prepped for OLB, etc...
i hear manningham and KW killed it today in practice in crabtrees absense

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My updated 53 man roster projection

QB(3)- 11 Alex Smith, 7 Colin Kaepernick, 1 Josh Johnson
RB(4)- 21 Frank Gore, 32 Kendall Hunter, 45 Brandon Jacobs, 23 LaMichael James
FB(1)- 49 Bruce Miller
WR(6)- 84 Randy Moss, 15 Michael Crabtree, 14 Mario Manningham, 19 Ted Ginn Jr., 10 Kyle Williams, 17 A.J. Jenkins
TE(2)- 85 Vernon Davis, 46 Delanie Walker
C(2)- 59 Jonathan Goodwin, 62 Jason Slowey
OG(3)- 77 Mike Iupati, 67 Daniel Kilgore, Leonard Davis
OT(2)- 74 Joe Staley, 76 Anthony Davis
Swing OL(2)- 75 Alex Boone, 78 Mike Person

DE(4)- 94 Justin Smith, 91 Ray McDonald, 92 Will Tukuafu, 96 Demarcus Dobbs
NT(2)- 90 Isaac Sopoaga, 95 Ricky Jean Francois
OLB(4)- 55 Ahmad Brooks, 99 Aldon Smith, 98 Parys Haralson, 50 Cam Johnson
ILB(4)- 52 Patrick Willis, 53 NaVorro Bowman, 54 Larry Grant, 56 Tavares Gooden
CB(5)- 22 Carlos Rogers, 25 Tarell Brown, 29 Chris Culliver, 32 Darcel McBath, 20 Perrish Cox
S(4)- 38 Dashon Goldson, 31 Donte Whitner, 27 C.J. Spillman, 30 Trenton Robinson

PK(1)- 2 David Akers
P(1)- 4 Andy Lee
LS(1)- 86 Brian Jennings
ST(2)- 28 Rock Cartwright, 43 Colin Jones

PUP(1)- 66 Joe Looney
IR(1)- 58 Darius Fleming

Inactives(7)- QB Johnson, WR Williams, WR Jenkins, C Slowey, OT Person, CB Cox, S Robinson

Some notes- If we keep 6 WRs, then I can't see Williams active. Who does he stay over, the team feels special teams is high priority, and Jones and Rock are great at it, plus we are a running team, so we keep the 4 RBs active.

I kept 2 TEs due to Dobbs being able to play on offense.

I debated whether to carry Slowey or Ian Williams, hard choice, went with extra OL, with Looney on PUP to begin season.

I went with McBath over Brock as he brings more versatility as a CB and FS, plus better on Special Teams.

OLB wise, I am torn as cap wise we are tight, so Haralson is a tough guy, either we have him take pay cut or cut him, I expect a pay cut.

i think Looney would take Slowey's roster spot when he returns. And you're right that Cartwright will make the team, though I'd love to see Ian wiliiams, Brock, or even Dixon make the team over him.
I'd love to see Williams hang around instead of Cartwright.
I'd be surprised if Brock gets cut.
So I guess there's no room for Byham or Reuland
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'd love to see Williams hang around instead of Cartwright.

Cartwright brings more to the table now for us. I love Ian Williams, maybe over a OL, but I think Rock and Jones make this team.

Originally posted by cwilson830:
I'd be surprised if Brock gets cut.

I was not impressed with Brock at all in 2011. He struggled in coverage, and was burned badly in nfc title game. Rather have McBath, who can play CB and FS

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
So I guess there's no room for Byham or Reuland

If the team is true to having guys like Sopoaga, Tukuafu and Dobbs play offense, then no room for a 3rd TE.
Share 49ersWebzone