There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Still hard to grade this draft, simply because two many guys got hurt. Right now, LaMichael James looks like a great pick and Joe Looney looks good also, particularly if he ends up as the starting center. Between those two, it's an A-/B+. Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson would be an I considering that they were both hurt and didn't get to play. Enough has been said on AJ Jenkins. Based on first year contributions, it's a C/D. I think by this time next year, it should be a solid B. I think they expect to get something out of Trenton Robinson considering they only drafted 1 safety, at least one of the linebackers should make a contribution this year, and AJ Jenkins may finally wake up. Not expecting a monster season from him, but he does have the opportunity to contribute as a #3. If he can't beat out Kyle Williams, he may never be higher than 5 on the depth chart.
Had to bring it back!

Worst. Draft. Ever.

Look at the all the homer voting.....
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM ]
Horrible draft

D
Right now, it looks like a s**tty draft.

Jenkins, Fleming, and Slowey are gone. Contributed nothing to the team. Feel bad for Fleming, he never got a chance thanks to injury. James is the only one contributing. We're hoping Looney, Robinson, Johnson can provide decent depth. Johnson is on the fringe of the 53. Possibly the same for Robinson.

One year later, I have to give a D. I couldn't give it anything higher because of how spectacular a bust Jenkins was. The only thing saving it from an F is James.

Still love Baalke, one of the best in the Biz. He just missed on this one. 2010, 2011 drafts were great. 2013 looks awesome on paper. Go Niners!
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
B but we also added a 3rd, 5th and 6th for next year. Granted we lost our 3rd this year but Panthers 3rd should be mid round, not late.

Above is what I said right after the draft:

If we didn't get the 3rd, 5th and 6th I would have had like a B-. B is low for me grading with Baalke's drafts. I definitely wasn't as happy with this draft as the 2010, 2011 or 2013 draft.

Looking back it's turned into Baldwin, L. James, pick used to go up and get Reid, Looney, Fleming, Robinson and Johnson.... As for the 5th think that went as a swap in the McCoy trade. The 6th pick ended up being Moody.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM ]
This draft was a catastrophe.

We did some really cool trades late in the draft, fleecing a few teams for future picks. but other than that - and LMJ - huge fail.

...Imagine if we accepted the vikings trade offer...
Originally posted by nickbradley:

We did some really cool trades late in the draft, fleecing a few teams for future picks. but other than that - and LMJ - huge fail.

what was their trade offer?
Terrible, just plain terrible. Well, Jenkins was obviously a bust, a lot of people talk about LaMichael James being the saviour, but frankly I feel he is overrated. I have said it before, I would have done exactly what the Giants did with the first 2 picks. I would have flipped it around and drafted a RB first in David Wilson at 30th and Rueben Randle later on in the 2nd round. Both are far better players in their respective positions than Jenkins and James and we would have preempted the Giants, killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Baalke got some splainin to do
Originally posted by Rascal:
Terrible, just plain terrible. Well, Jenkins was obviously a bust, a lot of people talk about LaMichael James being the saviour, but frankly I feel he is overrated. I have said it before, I would have done exactly what the Giants did with the first 2 picks. I would have flipped it around and drafted a RB first in David Wilson at 30th and Rueben Randle later on in the 2nd round. Both are far better players in their respective positions than Jenkins and James and we would have preempted the Giants, killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

you are so right. Rueben Randall and David Wilson would be much better than AJ and LJ. Silly draft. Hopefully Baldy can up this grade of an F+ from me if he can contribute and Looney would shape up.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

what was their trade offer?

Maybe he's talking about the Harvin trade rumors? Pretty sure those talks only happened this year. Harvin wasn't on the trade block last year when we picked Jenkins.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by Rascal:

you are so right. Rueben Randall and David Wilson would be much better than AJ and LJ. Silly draft. Hopefully Baldy can up this grade of an F+ from me if he can contribute and Looney would shape up.

Yep, I totally understand your F+ grading. I know Baalke has done a lot of good things in his time, but this poll is strictly about the 2012 draft, I cannot begin to comprehend how someone could give an A. The 1st round pick became a bust and he still gets an A ?! That is just not realistic and seriously biased.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I have a question.

I am not sure how to grade a draft pick that is not able to play because of injury.

In this draft, Darius Fleming has never set foot on the field because of an injury.

If he never plays because of his injuries, should he be considered a bust or a no grade?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Still too early to tell don't you think.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Still too early to tell don't you think.

not when you trade your first round pick before his second season. And our third pick in the draft looks lost out there...