There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Originally posted by mebemused:
I give it a F, cause Baalke didn't listen to the webzone fans. No Fleener. No Hill. No Zeitler. No Silaotu. Where is our 6'3" 220 lb receiver?

Of course, we will just have to wait for training camp to get a sense if the miscreants that Baalke drafted can compete.

what he said. seriously, how can he not draft luck? what about claiborne or khalil? and he settled for jenkins when he should have gotten blackmon.

jed needs to clear house and start over this is garbage.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Probably a high C+.

First 2 picks were MONEY, the rest of the draft was garbage, shouldn't of traded back so much; the Looney pick was horrible (and you don't even need to be an armchair expert to know such).

-Neither of our draft picks will probably even start until 2013 (with limited action this year); we needed a quality full-time solution to compete at RG regardless of how we feel about Boone/Kilgore, cause anything can happen, and you need a quality/competitive player at every position -This alone will come back to bite us in the ass when we make the NFC Championship again, and Alex is running for his life again with Kilgore out with an injury, and Looney letting more players past him to f**k Alex in the ass like a German leather bar turnstile.

Yeah you can use the excuse that we drafted late, or that 'wowee zowee we're winners again' homerism crap, but this draft class leaves an odd taste in my mouth, it feels like a Scot McCloughan draft, all bang and limited substance.

You're nuts. The Looney pick is one of the best ones, he was one of the highest ranked guards in the draft. Slowey is a nice guy for potential, a small school guy that didn't get a lot of burn but he plays aggressively and with a mean streak. I'm sure if they picked a major "name" like Chilo Rachal you'd be okay with it because the draft guys gave their explicit approval, right???


This was a very good draft that filled in a lot of needs, love the Trent Robinson pick, love the Looney pick, AJ Jenkins was a good one, LaMichael James will make the offense more explosive, Cam Johnson was tremendous value in the 7th.

Have you actually seen film on this guy, or have read numerous draft reports? -Small arms, horrible in pass-protection, gives up too easily, injury-prone, it just goes on and on. -It'll take the f**king ghost of Bobb McKittrick to possess this guy's body to repair his shortcomings.

-And no I don't think we should have drafted a BIG-NAME flop OG in the second, in fact we were supposed to get an underrated/pro-ready prospect Gino Gradkowski, who the Ravens ended up taking #98 overall cause Baalke lacked the balls to trade up ahead of big brother Harbaugh (the anger was all over the war room cam that day).

Sorry, just not drinking the homer gatorade on this one, won't be convinced until we see how it turns out, not sold on this being another 4-star draft.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Have you actually seen film on this guy, or have read numerous draft reports? -Small arms, horrible in pass-protection, gives up too easily, injury-prone, it just goes on and on. -It'll take the f**king ghost of Bobb McKittrick to possess this guy's body to repair his shortcomings.

-And no I don't think we should have drafted a BIG-NAME flop OG in the second, in fact we were supposed to get an underrated/pro-ready prospect Gino Gradkowski, who the Ravens ended up taking #98 overall cause Baalke lacked the balls to trade up ahead of big brother Harbaugh (the anger was all over the war room cam that day).

Sorry, just not drinking the homer gatorade on this one, won't be convinced until we see how it turns out, not sold on this being another 4-star draft.
His pass blocking needs to improve, definitely, but the guy is very aggressive, great at pancake blocking defenders, he has quickness, active hands, yes his arms are on the shorter side but that hasn't been a problem. He needs to be coached up in terms of getting proper leverage but if not for the injuries he suffered, this guy would have been gone in the first 3 rounds easily. A lot of potential, has the size, quickness and strength, simply needs proper coaching. If I thought this was a crap pick, I'd say so but this guy brings a lot of good things to the table, additionally he's a leader by all accounts, a very fiery guy but has good character and is a team-first kind of player.


You can look at every guard in the draft and find negatives about them, Looney happened to be one of the highest ranked, take away the injury and he would have been ranked even higher. I also don't know what you mean by injury prone, he one injury earlier in his career and a freak injury at the Senior Bowl but otherwise the guy has been healthy and started a lot of games throughout his career.


He needs some work, but he's not nearly as far away from being an NFL starter as you claim. He's been working with Jeremy Newberry in the offseason to work on his weaknesses and by all accounts has made improvements to his game and will only continue to do so.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM ]
The same as the United States' credit rating.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The same as the United States' credit rating.

You know I'm glad you joined this thread because it reminded me of something else.



Originally posted by 9erfanAUS: C-. I only liked the Kaep and Hunter picks. The rest are 'meh' and the Aldon Smith picked made me go "who?" in the same way when we drafted Kentwaan Balmer. -9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The same as the United States' credit rating.

Apr 30, 2011 at 20:59:18
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

C-. I only liked the Kaep and Hunter picks. The rest are 'meh' and the Aldon Smith picked made me go "who?" in the same way when we drafted Kentwaan Balmer.

-9fA

Loved the draft this year and can't wait too see them on the field.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The same as the United States' credit rating.

You know I'm glad you joined this thread because it reminded me of something else.



Originally posted by 9erfanAUS: C-. I only liked the Kaep and Hunter picks. The rest are 'meh' and the Aldon Smith picked made me go "who?" in the same way when we drafted Kentwaan Balmer. -9fA
Of course instant draft grades are pretty useless but Pete Prisco . . . . . . still panning our draft because we made a BPA luxury pick with James.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18883097/draft-grades-bengals-haul-gets-high-praise-saints-flunk-the-weekend


Best pick: Most draft analysts ripped the pick of A.J. Jenkins in the first round. I liked it. The kid can fly. He just needs a little polish. Just keep him away from the knucklehead receivers on the roster -- and there are plenty.

Questionable move: Why did they take LaMichael James in the second round? Don't they have a glut of backs? Didn't they take Kendall Hunter last year? I like James, just not here.

Third-day gem: Safety Trent Robinson has the range to play free safety. As a sixth-round pick, I think he has chance to make the team and do even more in a year or two.

Analysis: I liked the Jenkins pick to start the draft, but taking James in the second really didn't make a lot of sense. They bounced back with some decent picks after that, but not a great weekend for the 49ers.

Grade: C-
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The same as the United States' credit rating.

You know I'm glad you joined this thread because it reminded me of something else.



Originally posted by 9erfanAUS: C-. I only liked the Kaep and Hunter picks. The rest are 'meh' and the Aldon Smith picked made me go "who?" in the same way when we drafted Kentwaan Balmer. -9fA

---------------- G'Day!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Of course instant draft grades are pretty useless but Pete Prisco . . . . . . still panning our draft because we made a BPA luxury pick with James.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18883097/draft-grades-bengals-haul-gets-high-praise-saints-flunk-the-weekend


Best pick: Most draft analysts ripped the pick of A.J. Jenkins in the first round. I liked it. The kid can fly. He just needs a little polish. Just keep him away from the knucklehead receivers on the roster -- and there are plenty.

Questionable move: Why did they take LaMichael James in the second round? Don't they have a glut of backs? Didn't they take Kendall Hunter last year? I like James, just not here.

Third-day gem: Safety Trent Robinson has the range to play free safety. As a sixth-round pick, I think he has chance to make the team and do even more in a year or two.

Analysis: I liked the Jenkins pick to start the draft, but taking James in the second really didn't make a lot of sense. They bounced back with some decent picks after that, but not a great weekend for the 49ers.

Grade: C-

Pete Prisco in 2011.


Best pick: I like fourth-round running back Kendall Hunter. He adds speed and quickness.

Questionable move: Passing on Blaine Gabbert and then trading up to get Colin Kaepernick. They will now be linked together in 49ers draft history.

Third-day gem: Tackle Daniel Kilgore, their sixth-round pick, will move to guard and be a quality backup in their rotation.

Analysis: They better hope Aldon Smith turns into DeMarcus Ware and Kaepernick is better than the QBs taken ahead of him. That was risky passing on a quarterback at No. 7.

Grade: C+


Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The same as the United States' credit rating.

You know I'm glad you joined this thread because it reminded me of something else.



<blockquote class="quote"><div>Quote:</div>Originally posted by 9erfanAUS: C-. I only liked the Kaep and Hunter picks. The rest are 'meh' and the Aldon Smith picked made me go "who?" in the same way when we drafted Kentwaan Balmer. -9fA

---------------- G'Day!

Most of the board reacted the exact same way to the Aldon Smith pick. To go back and call someone out for how they acted towards the draft right after it happened is a b***h move imo.

That's why these types of threads are less than useless. Same goes for so-called "experts" grades.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Apr 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Probably a high C+.

First 2 picks were MONEY, the rest of the draft was garbage, shouldn't of traded back so much; the Looney pick was horrible (and you don't even need to be an armchair expert to know such).

-Neither of our draft picks will probably even start until 2013 (with limited action this year); we needed a quality full-time solution to compete at RG regardless of how we feel about Boone/Kilgore, cause anything can happen, and you need a quality/competitive player at every position -This alone will come back to bite us in the ass when we make the NFC Championship again, and Alex is running for his life again with Kilgore out with an injury, and Looney letting more players past him to f**k Alex in the ass like a German leather bar turnstile.

Yeah you can use the excuse that we drafted late, or that 'wowee zowee we're winners again' homerism crap, but this draft class leaves an odd taste in my mouth, it feels like a Scot McCloughan draft, all bang and limited substance.

You're nuts. The Looney pick is one of the best ones, he was one of the highest ranked guards in the draft. Slowey is a nice guy for potential, a small school guy that didn't get a lot of burn but he plays aggressively and with a mean streak. I'm sure if they picked a major "name" like Chilo Rachal you'd be okay with it because the draft guys gave their explicit approval, right???


This was a very good draft that filled in a lot of needs, love the Trent Robinson pick, love the Looney pick, AJ Jenkins was a good one, LaMichael James will make the offense more explosive, Cam Johnson was tremendous value in the 7th.

Have you actually seen film on this guy, or have read numerous draft reports? -Small arms, horrible in pass-protection, gives up too easily, injury-prone, it just goes on and on. -It'll take the f**king ghost of Bobb McKittrick to possess this guy's body to repair his shortcomings.

-And no I don't think we should have drafted a BIG-NAME flop OG in the second, in fact we were supposed to get an underrated/pro-ready prospect Gino Gradkowski, who the Ravens ended up taking #98 overall cause Baalke lacked the balls to trade up ahead of big brother Harbaugh (the anger was all over the war room cam that day).

Sorry, just not drinking the homer gatorade on this one, won't be convinced until we see how it turns out, not sold on this being another 4-star draft.

Is making 34 of 37 starts in three years considered injury prone now? Or does the Senior Bowl injury mean he's suddenly injury prone? And his short arms (32-1/4") are only a smidge (1/8") shorter than DeCastro's FWIW.
A+ would draft again!