LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 140 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

There is a lot of cool aid being handed out here. Giving us an "A" is rediculas. We did not address our most important needs. We have the worst redzone offense that will be in the playoffs if we return. Nothing has changed that unless Moss has an epiphany and does not give up on us like he is prone to do. Ask Oakland what happens we he is not featured and or when Alex does not hit him in stride. Where is the big receiver who can out jump and muscle DB's in the end zone or even the red zone? Where is the outstanding guard we could have had at our taking in the first round? Why not take Jenkins to fill the need at DB? We took Cox who is more of a risk then him? We drafted a bunch of projects. Jenkins does not have size and we already picked up Mario and have Crabtree. Alex does not throw the deep ball well so even if Jenkins plays and gets separation, does Alex find him? Everyone thinks that the success we had last year makes us a contender for the super bowl? How does that square when we had six come from behind wins last year in the 4th quarter? Do you really thing Alex duplicated that again? New England knew they needed defense and they took to potential defensive stars in the first round. Maybe that will tell everyone why they have the best record in the NFL the last ten years. We did not have the luxury to just pick a bunch of backups and projects. We needed to get one or two guys that would push to start this year. The little guy out of Oregon is Gore's future replacement? What we did do is get faster that cannot be disputed. But we did not get better by not getting bigger. Vernon will be double teamed again as everyone watches NO and what they din't do against Vernon iin the playoffs.As good as we drafted last year, I am at this early stage thinking we did the opposite. I hope I am wrong but no one here knows what these guys can do in the NFL. I give us a "C" at the most and if Jenkins does not start, it becomes a "D".
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Probably an F from most cause we didn't draft fleener.

i will wager a fleener fan
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Have you actually seen film on this guy, or have read numerous draft reports? -Small arms, horrible in pass-protection, gives up too easily, injury-prone, it just goes on and on. -It'll take the f**king ghost of Bobb McKittrick to possess this guy's body to repair his shortcomings.

-And no I don't think we should have drafted a BIG-NAME flop OG in the second, in fact we were supposed to get an underrated/pro-ready prospect Gino Gradkowski, who the Ravens ended up taking #98 overall cause Baalke lacked the balls to trade up ahead of big brother Harbaugh (the anger was all over the war room cam that day).

Sorry, just not drinking the homer gatorade on this one, won't be convinced until we see how it turns out, not sold on this being another 4-star draft.

anyone want to take their own life because niners didnt get gino gradkowski?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stephenpaulfreese:
There is a lot of cool aid being handed out here. Giving us an "A" is rediculas. We did not address our most important needs. We have the worst redzone offense that will be in the playoffs if we return. Nothing has changed that unless Moss has an epiphany and does not give up on us like he is prone to do. Ask Oakland what happens we he is not featured and or when Alex does not hit him in stride. Where is the big receiver who can out jump and muscle DB's in the end zone or even the red zone? Where is the outstanding guard we could have had at our taking in the first round? Why not take Jenkins to fill the need at DB? We took Cox who is more of a risk then him? We drafted a bunch of projects. Jenkins does not have size and we already picked up Mario and have Crabtree. Alex does not throw the deep ball well so even if Jenkins plays and gets separation, does Alex find him? Everyone thinks that the success we had last year makes us a contender for the super bowl? How does that square when we had six come from behind wins last year in the 4th quarter? Do you really thing Alex duplicated that again? New England knew they needed defense and they took to potential defensive stars in the first round. Maybe that will tell everyone why they have the best record in the NFL the last ten years. We did not have the luxury to just pick a bunch of backups and projects. We needed to get one or two guys that would push to start this year. The little guy out of Oregon is Gore's future replacement? What we did do is get faster that cannot be disputed. But we did not get better by not getting bigger. Vernon will be double teamed again as everyone watches NO and what they din't do against Vernon iin the playoffs.As good as we drafted last year, I am at this early stage thinking we did the opposite. I hope I am wrong but no one here knows what these guys can do in the NFL. I give us a "C" at the most and if Jenkins does not start, it becomes a "D".
we have increased our speed which will mean it will take us less time to run into the end zone on a run or a pass. we have improved our depth in needed areas such as linebacker, safety and offensive line.Please stop with new england blather.They do not walk on water and what they did no defense this year, they should have done for the last two or three years.Who is to say that the way we did the draft this year and last year will become the gold standard?If you did not know this, our coach likes to create competition at every spot and he has put people like crabtree and dixon and yes even our backs,, you can not just show up and waltz around thinking your spot is safe.Yes we did have the luxury to get backups and projects as you call them,,, backups is what we needed.In regards to your "projects" I can think of at least three guys we drafted last year who were termed "projects" and they were all a major reason for our project so please stop with that. If some of these guys are indeed a project or a reach(another tiresome term), Then by god we have the best coaches in the nfl to develop them. some of you still have little faith in our team, sheesh . i think you will be a good poster here and i understand this is your first post. as mr spock said in start trek 2,,, for everything there is a beginning
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Is making 34 of 37 starts in three years considered injury prone now? Or does the Senior Bowl injury mean he's suddenly injury prone? And his short arms (32-1/4") are only a smidge (1/8") shorter than DeCastro's FWIW.

Good post! But...you never know when that 1/8 of an inch will mean the difference betwen the super bowl and a 2/14 season!
  • buck
  • Veteran
I gave the draft a B-; in good part because of the extra picks we picked up for next year.

I think Jenkins and James will contribute this year.

But, to be perfectly frank, I really do not know how to evaluate this draft.

I will just wait and see how these players develop.

B-
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The same as the United States' credit rating.

Apr 30, 2011 at 20:59:18
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

C-. I only liked the Kaep and Hunter picks. The rest are 'meh' and the Aldon Smith picked made me go "who?" in the same way when we drafted Kentwaan Balmer.

LOL, can't believe you dug that up. I was wrong and I'm not ashamed to eat my crow.
I think the people that are disappointed by this draft are the ones most likely have someone else in mind of who they wanted to pick. I follow the draft only to see which player position they addressed not which player I wanted them to pick. It seems they addressed all position of need and depth.

A-

Only because they didn't have a high draft positions like previous years so was limited of what they can do. But still effective. Some are knocking Baalke for drafting Jenkins too high. But he had to. The Rams with the 1st pick of the 2nd round was about to take Jenkins there. Baalke would have lost Jenkins had he traded back to the 2nd.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM ]
Grades are hard to give esp. this year b/c of WHERE we drafted and you need to take that into consideration when handing these out.

At first, "I" wanted Fleener b/c I felt like he not only could start from day 1 but add a true threat coupled with Vernon to create a million mismatches and be a legit threat in the RZ. We had a hole at RG and given the average-at-best OL we had last year, we needed an upgrade badly. I also felt that Hunter WAS our Sproles already. I (really) felt we needed a RB who can run inside, outside, was tough, had home-run speed, could pass protect AND by dynamic in the passing game.

But at the end of the day, we added a future starting WR to replace Crabtree as the #2 who is threat right off the LOS and deep and isn't afraid to take a hit over the middle. We got one of the better RG in the draft and added even more depth and all of these guys (Kilgore, Looney, Slowley & Netter) are NASTY!!! Add that nastiness to Anthony Davis and look out Suh!

We added tremendous depth (finally) behind Brooks/Aldon. Some great developmental backups at FS/S. We added competition all across the board and many of the skill positions not only are versatile but can provide return abilities as well. We picked up key picks for 2013 as well.

Overall, you have to give this FO another B to A grade here even if it didn't go the direction you wanted. You know this FO does its due diligence and it's nice to finally be in position as a fan to "trust" the FO. We have come a long ways and I'm looking forward to this season!

Based on.............

If I'm grading based on my expectations it was an F, which means its probably an A.........
A+
Best WR in the draft. 2nd best RB. Added lots of speed and big play ability to an offense that sorely needed it. The WR alone is going to be a difference maker with his ability to create separation, as well as his speed to keep the defense honest. Speed speed speed. The offense is really going to start to blossom this year.
Accumulated picks for next year to trade up for a really good player or stockpile for competition and depth, we are basically pulling a Patriots with this. This FO really knows what they are doing.

Added some interesting competition on the back end of the draft, competition for the OL and LB (one of each should make the team), a possible playmaker at safety who can read offenses very well. It was a great draft.
We should be ranking the draft of 2010 now, this draft should be ranked 2 years from now. I guess it's the new generation that needs answers right away.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Based on.............

If I'm grading based on my expectations it was an F, which means its probably an A.........

But in the end in the end the grade won't amount to a bucket of warm spit, unless you get off on trying to pass yourself off as a draft expert.
We are still grading drafts before they play huh?
Share 49ersWebzone