LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Trenton Robinson is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Robinson seems like a good one to take over for Whitner down the road or on injury. Seems instinctive, that's a really good start for a safety.

I thought he'd be more suited to take the empty spot of Goldson one day... unless Spillman can manage to snag that spot.

They have said the safeties are interchangeable so it's not out of the question he may take the free safety for Goldson. I think he's more up front like Whitner, especially if his tackling is good. You usually need someone with more instinct and recognition to play both run and pass support.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:43 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Robinson seems like a good one to take over for Whitner down the road or on injury. Seems instinctive, that's a really good start for a safety.

I thought he'd be more suited to take the empty spot of Goldson one day... unless Spillman can manage to snag that spot.

They have said the safeties are interchangeable so it's not out of the question he may take the free safety for Goldson. I think he's more up front like Whitner, especially if his tackling is good. You usually need someone with more instinct and recognition to play both run and pass support.

More instincts come via experience and practice in the scheme, but yes... good point on the interchangeability of safeties.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
not a big fan of his size doe

Same size as Polomalu and Ed Reed
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Just curious, does anyone know why Goldson was picked so late (4th)? What was the knock on him?

PAC-10 wasnt a super amazing conference outside of USC back then, Washington was definitely not anywhere near a top tier program in the early 2000s, he was CB and this was before the craze of wanting big, lanky CBs so everyone said he would have to switch to safety, he might've had bad hip movement. I cant find his draft profile or anything but those are pretty good guesses.

He was a S/CB tweener, and I think the 49ers were the only ones who had him in mind for safety exclusively. He wasn't exactly a dominating corner at UW. He had good size though.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Smaller than both of them.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Reed has Robinson in height, Polamalu has him in both height and weight.

Robinson's college reel features him getting run over constantly because he simply lacks the power that these other guys have.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Robinson's college reel features him getting run over constantly because he simply lacks the power that these other guys have.

Yup. He needs to hit the weight room hard.
Could be off but I wouldn't be surprised if CJ Spillman or Trent Robinson get used in a Reggie Smith type way. We used Reggie a bunch these past few years in dime situations as the 3rd S instead of an extra corner. Robinson looks like a corner to me anyways but I don't know much about him. Edit: Then again I expect good things from Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock and I think the staff likes them as well so it will be hard to keep them guys off the field.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

He's listed at 5' 10, 195 lbs. Polamalu listed at 5' 10 207lbs. Ed Reed 5' 11 200lbs. We are talking about 5-10lbs difference and 1 inch.

He's listed at 5' 10, 195 lbs. Polamalu listed at 5' 10 207lbs. Ed Reed 5' 11 200lbs. We are talking about 5-10lbs difference and 1 inch.

He's 5'9 and 193lbs. He's significantly smaller than both of them.

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster/Trenton-Robinson/b67c66fa-34f0-46c7-a7d5-8a4e0b65fff0

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster/Trenton-Robinson/b67c66fa-34f0-46c7-a7d5-8a4e0b65fff0

7-14 pounds is a pretty decent difference. Regardless of this, even taking his size out of the equation, his on the field play is what I focus on more.. and as I said, he gets trucked more often than not. Regardless of his size, he simply does not have the hitting power. General strength and fitness is great, but in the NFL, you need that to be honed to certain areas.

You can be a 250 pound linebacker but completely lack both hitting power and leverage (see Derek Smith late in his career). There are many examples of players that look physically fit and strong but on the field get tossed around.
i'm not worried about his size. when it comes to safety, he has to have really good instincts. he's needs to be around the ball. but if he doesnt turn out to be starter material its no big deal, he's only a 6th rounder.

7-14 pounds is a pretty decent difference. Regardless of this, even taking his size out of the equation, his on the field play is what I focus on more.. and as I said, he gets trucked more often than not. Regardless of his size, he simply does not have the hitting power. General strength and fitness is great, but in the NFL, you need that to be honed to certain areas.

You can be a 250 pound linebacker but completely lack both hitting power and leverage (see Derek Smith late in his career). There are many examples of players that look physically fit and strong but on the field get tossed around.

Thanks you.

Yes 7-10 pounds is a big difference, esp. when you are not considered a hard hitter.

If he adds 15 pounds, which is doable, he will be fierce because all his football skills are there.

Thanks you.

Yes 7-10 pounds is a big difference, esp. when you are not considered a hard hitter.

If he adds 15 pounds, which is doable, he will be fierce because all his football skills are there.

He shouldn't have any problem adding 5-10 lbs if the coaches think he should. Right now they are just getting him acclimated to the position head wise. When camp comes around with pads and contact, then we will see how he does from there. Not really a big deal. I like him.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM ]
He won't see much action on defense this year
Share 49ersWebzone